Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jolt EV charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty clever - an ad company disguising themselves as an EV charging company.

If I were a local, I’d be fighting this initiative. Yes, there is a great need for more EV charging, but 25 kW “fast” chargers in a few places around town isn’t the way to do it. No redundancy, can’t support more than one vehicle at a time, insanely expensive. Please let your elected officials know that you're interested in real EV charging solutions that have low installation costs, multiple units per site for redundancy, and charging speeds that support more than just local travel.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
Did a drive thru of the two Randwick Council chargers on the Jolt map.
Can see the green boxes but no signs of any work.

Kensington - 110 Anzac Pde X Goodwood St
DA/31/2021
Next to a petrol station on a side street.
DA shows it's just been referred back to the traffic committee.

Maroubra - 667-829P Anzac Pde X Haig St
DA/709/2020
In one of the carparks in the central verge where trams used to run.
Approved in late August so assume this will be the first one.
Despite the possibility to easily serve two car spots, looks only designed for one EV charging spot.

Also found a withdrawn application for 72-82 Anzac Pde on Carlton St
DA/30/2021

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Potentially good news. Since I first tried the Mona Vale JOLT and was only getting 16kW, my car has received two firmware updates, taking it to 2021.36. I have now charged two more times and each time have been getting 20 to 23kw into the battery. I ran ScanMyTesla and determined that neither time was there any battery heating. One time, the cells were at about 42deg and there was slightly enhanced coolant flow. The second time, the car had been sitting for 5hrs before and only driven one km and cell temps were 24deg. So it looks like the battery heating issue might have gone away. The first time, I had been driving for over an hour before charging when the heating happened and ambient temperatures were similar. So this glitch (heating when using low CCS2 charge rate) may have now been fixed.

Potentially good news. Since I first tried the Mona Vale JOLT and was only getting 16kW, my car has received two firmware updates, taking it to 2021.36. I have now charged two more times and each time have been getting 20 to 23kw into the battery.
I got 2021.36.5 yesterday and it's still heating on 50kw chargers. Can't see the point of the heating unless it's super slowly reducing the amount of damage being done (as it can take 30+ minutes to get to temp .. and by that time you're almost done).

When I first got my car and it was plugged in I could turn on Track Mode and it wouldn't heat the batteries (giving 6.5+kwh extra). That hack doesn't seem to work anymore though.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Went for a drive on Anzac Pde today.

Maroubra site is still the green electrical box.
But Kingsford is almost ready.

Box seems powered (by the advertising), and is in the app. Just needs council to remove the car share signage and replace it with something more appropriate.

IMG_20211212_180121.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
So this glitch (heating when using low CCS2 charge rate) may have now been fixed.
Unfortunately, the battery heating glitch is still there. A couple of days ago, I was getting just 15-16kW and upon checking, front and rear motors were energised thus chewing 6kW to heat the battery. Once the cell temp increased from 33degC to about 42degC, the heating stopped and I was getting 20 to 21kW. But the heating process used up about 18mins.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Even though they are supposed to be 25kW, I think they are actually about 21 or 22. Then you take away aircon, coolant pumps and other stuff and that is less into the battery. The Jolt people gave me the exact power they reckon their hardware supplied in one of my charging sessions and it was about 22kW max.

Reactions: Hairyman
Did a drive thru of the two Randwick Council chargers on the Jolt map.
Can see the green boxes but no signs of any work.

Kensington - 110 Anzac Pde X Goodwood St
DA/31/2021
Next to a petrol station on a side street.
DA shows it's just been referred back to the traffic committee.

This was approved on 17 November. Reading the DA, it was required for the advertising signage on the kiosk, not for the EV charger itself.

It looks like Ausgrid is its own authority to install EV charging on its own substations under Part 5 of the NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

• Informative
Reactions: Nobody Famous
This was approved on 17 November. Reading the DA, it was required for the advertising signage on the kiosk, not for the EV charger itself.

It looks like Ausgrid is its own authority to install EV charging on its own substations under Part 5 of the NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.
so jolt or no jolt, aus grid can set up it's own - even without a charging platform, could just offer 60 min free charging and simply then cut off or bring out it's own fee platform for added revenue stream?

Drive from Sydney East to Mona Vale today to pickup a few things so tried that charger. Maxed briefly at 20kW but mostly at 19kW and my battery should have been fairly hot today.
I forgot to mention earlier but you should see the Mona Vale Jolt charger on ABetterRoutePlanner now.

I was hoping someone from Jolt would add it to Open Charge Map - The global public registry of electric vehicle charging locations so it would end up in ABRP but it didn’t happen so I added it last week and within 2-3 days it appeared in ABRP too.

So if anyone from Jolt is reading this post, please add your chargers to OpenChargeMap - then any EVs that use that as a basis for their navigation to chargers or anyone who uses ABetterRoutePlanner will be easily able to find and use them.

Otherwise anyone reading this who has a Jolt charger nearby that they would like to see in ABRP maybe just take matters into your own hands as I did with the Mona Vale one.

Unfortunately, the battery heating glitch is still there. A couple of days ago, I was getting just 15-16kW and upon checking, front and rear motors were energised thus chewing 6kW to heat the battery. Once the cell temp increased from 33degC to about 42degC, the heating stopped and I was getting 20 to 21kW. But the heating process used up about 18mins.

not a glitch, its been like this for... like 8 years.

so jolt or no jolt, aus grid can set up it's own - even without a charging platform, could just offer 60 min free charging and simply then cut off or bring out it's own fee platform for added revenue stream?

They could, but it costs money to set up a business, create an operational model, backend, billing platform, hardware & infrastructure solution, App, monitoring and service organisation, advertising model etc. I guess they decided it wasn’t core business or something they wanted to directly develop at this time.

So Ausgrid are currently letting a third party take all that risk while they still clip the ticket.

And some more digging - per Burwood Council minutes for 26 October 2021

This has now been received (DA.2021.91) for 6 locations across the LGA including:
 Close to 36 The Boulevarde, Strathfield
 Close to 26 Park Avenue, Burwood Park
 Close to19 Everton Road, Strathfield
 Close to 133 Liverpool Road, Burwood
 Close to 129 Georges River Road, Croydon Park
 Close to 61 Georges River Road, Croydon Park
This application is currently under assessment.