Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jolt EV charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re disappointed that a charging network marketed as being focused in capital cities has no presence outside of capital cities?
500 Kms covers Melbourne , Geelong & Ballarat being the three biggest cities in the state.

Most people also live outside the major cities given how decentralized we are as a country.

If it wasn’t for this forum I wouldn’t even know this company existed given their lack of marketing or effort to appeal to folks outside of Sydney it seems.

Don't worry about Jolt for regional areas. They are an advertising company. The charging bit is just a nice bonus if you happen to be passing one.It's the same business model as the bus stops with ads.If the bus stops in your area have ads, it might be the type of place Jolt would go. Needs to be high traffic, lowish speed and a fair amount of disposable income.

500 Kms covers Melbourne , Geelong & Ballarat being the three biggest cities in the state.

Most people also live outside the major cities given how decentralized we are as a country.

If it wasn’t for this forum I wouldn’t even know this company existed given their lack of marketing or effort to appeal to folks outside of Sydney it seems.
To help inform the discussion on where Australia's population lives and the placement of chargers. From the ABS
0.E0E!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

From reddit
96g9ruy2u6j31.jpg

Reactions: bay74

They're only Adelaide and Sydney so far (they're the locations where they have an agreement with councils). But I agree with others, it's not a big loss them not being near you. Might be handy every so often but 25 kW DC has minimal advantage to a Tesla owner over the number of AC chargers available. (Now to a Leaf owner, it's be a big difference!)

They're only Adelaide and Sydney so far (they're the locations where they have an agreement with councils). But I agree with others, it's not a big loss them not being near you. Might be handy every so often but 25 kW DC has minimal advantage to a Tesla owner over the number of AC chargers available. (Now to a Leaf owner, it's be a big difference!)
If one stays in touch with the local Council, you will know when and if JOLT is coming near you. Also, the 25kW is actually about 22kW max and for Teslas which crazily do pre-heating you will normally only get 16kW!

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
If one stays in touch with the local Council, you will know when and if JOLT is coming near you. Also, the 25kW is actually about 22kW max and for Teslas which crazily do pre-heating you will normally only get 16kW!

And you can have 11kW with nothing more than an AC EVSE. Which in reality is nothing more than a glorified switch. Totally pointless increase in charger cost.

And you can have 11kW with nothing more than an AC EVSE. Which in reality is nothing more than a glorified switch. Totally pointless increase in charger cost.
Depends on the car. Some EVs are only 7kW AC max.
(And then you've got the old dual charger S which could go 22kW, and the original Zoe at 43kW).

But as Nobody Famous says - Jolt is more an advertising company.

Seemingly modelled on Volta

US$680m market cap (though was triple that in late 2021)

Depends on the car. Some EVs are only 7kW AC max.
(And then you've got the old dual charger S which could go 22kW, and the original Zoe at 43kW).

But as Nobody Famous says - Jolt is more an advertising company.

Seemingly modelled on Volta

US$680m market cap (though was triple that in late 2021)

I take your point, but that is changing fast, MOST currently released EV's are starting to add 3ph 11kW chargers. And the old S (which still had to be optioned with the 2nd charger) and Zoe are few and far between. The reason it SHOULD be standard on every vehicle is because 3phase makes load balancing easier, keeps cables sizes smaller and is everywhere at commercial sites (and becoming more common in residential settings). Infac

So you agree its basically a glorified switch! My point simply that they are very cheap to buy and install compared to what a DC fast charger would cost that does only 25kW.
For a Tesla, yes. 12kW on three phase is about the same as 16-17kW on a 25kW Jolt charger. And if you've got a higher spec'd inverter on your S or X, even better!

But most non-Tesla EVs will only accept a single phase, limiting AC charging to 7.6kW. And they don't have battery heaters that eat up a few kW when charging on DC. For those poor souls, the difference is enormous.

I use public chargers a lot when I visit Sydney or Wollongong, and Jolt just isn't on my list anymore. If I need a power nap, I'll go find an AC charger, err, an AC EVSE. A fancy light switch. Frenchs Forest KFC isn't that much slower than Mona Vale Jolt.