Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

just an allusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

And your point is..?

That is a low speed commuter railcar. You claim 'battery' power in several types of high speed (180+ mph) trains and then cite something with a top speed of 60mph...

...otherwise I would have negated my intended point entirely. It is important not to confuse commuter/light rail with actual commuter/cargo trains.

It seems to me that you have done exactly that.

The Japanese railcar has 2x 95kW motors. The high speed trains you mention have typically between 6 and 14MW (yes, megawatts) of motors. Therefore, we need an increase in available power from the fuel cells of between 1 and 2 orders of magnitude if what you are claiming is ever going to happen.

hell, the South Korean KTX weighs 700 tons, travels at 300mph, pushes 18,000hp and does it all on some "batteries".

Look again - the KTX does 300km/h and there is not a battery in sight. The only high speed 'train' that carries a large number of batteries is the Transrapid maglev, which uses them to levitate to a stop in the event of a power failure. (And by the way, RENFE is not a train but the Spanish national rail operator.)

In my opinion you are walking a fine line between ignorance and trolling. I hope it isn't the latter...

Last edited:
And your point is..?

That is a low speed commuter railcar. You claim 'battery' power in several types of high speed (180+ mph) trains and then cite something with a top speed of 60mph...

It seems to me that you have done exactly that.

The Japanese railcar has 2x 95kW motors. The high speed trains you mention have typically between 6 and 14MW (yes, megawatts) of motors. Therefore, we need an increase in available power from the fuel cells of between 1 and 2 orders of magnitude if what you are claiming is ever going to happen.

Look again - the KTX does 300km/h and there is not a battery in sight. The only high speed 'train' that carries a large number of batteries is the Transrapid maglev, which uses them to levitate to a stop in the event of a power failure. (And by the way, RENFE is not a train but the Spanish national rail operator.)

In my opinion you are walking a fine line between ignorance and trolling. I hope it isn't the latter...

Before I address any of your other contentions, I ask that you answer a question, i.e., do you know what this is/means?:

gif.latex

&/or:

gif.latex

Last edited:
The magnetic flux through a surface is defined as the magnetic field at the surface integrated over the area of that surface. In general, B and a are vectors, the integrand is a dot product, phi is a scalar. a is defined as the normal to surface.

I wasn't questioning your engineering aptitude, doug, rather dpeilow's, given his demonstrated propensity to call me out/come to the aid of a comrade (JRP3) in need, which is a commendable character trait, but wisdom teaches that the best practice in life in such matters is to pick your fights based not only on the topic, but in particular, on the person you intend to confront...no offense.

This is merely a necessary process of elimination so that I do not wind up wasting my time needlessly while frustrating myself in a fruitless effort to convey a concept to the, the uninformed...understand?

There are oh so many other more so interesting topics being bantered about on the boards than my having to consume my time with defusing ill-informed delusions about one's intellectual/engineering acuity.

Last edited:
Please guys enough is enough. I may not be as smart as all of you are, but I do know when it is time to stop. Allusion I'm not trying to call you out but every time im on I see your trying to outsmart everyone. No one likes a no it all, so please try to stop shoving this information in everyones faces.

Ok, this really is all a bit much.

Allusion, for the time being I strongly suggest that you give us all a break and restrict your posts to only this thread. Other users can choose to ignore this thread if they wish.

In the mean time, how about you take a page out of WarpedOne's book and use this thread to tell us a bit about your background so we can put your comments into context.

Sorry I am late to the party - I was at a party. Happy New Year.

Right 'just-a-confusion', trolling it is then.

Before I address any of your other contentions, I ask that you answer a question, i.e., do you know what this is/means?:

gif.latex

&/or:

gif.latex

OK, so I call you out on this and the charging physics thread and you respond with a couple of big words and a magnetic flux equation? What, did Santa bring you a high school physics text book and a dictionary for Christmas? :rolleyes:

I wasn't questioning your engineering aptitude, doug, rather dpeilow's

There are oh so many other more so interesting topics being bantered about on the boards than my having to consume my time with defusing ill-informed delusions about one's intellectual/engineering acuity.

There are a few of us on these boards with higher degrees in physics (or engineering) but we don't feel the need to shout about it. Some of us even make a living from it. Regardless of that, 99% of the people here make useful contributions from their own fields or backgrounds and don't appreciate intellectual arrogance.

You, on the other hand, think that a step-up transformer will improve battery charge time from any given source (reminds me of a kid at school who thought that a NAND gate was producing a current out of nowhere and he was on to something big...).

Well I have four words for you: First Law of Thermodynamics.

So come on then, hit us up with how you intend to break it. Now's your chance.

Oh - and do so objectively. Consider your previous posts strike 2.

The only thing that Chrysler (or any automaker for that matter) needs to do is re-orient their vehicle manufacturing workforce towards EV production solely and cancel any "new model" productions of their current product line, at least temporarily/until the technology is developed for cross platform application.

If they did this/followed this business plan, full, nationwide EV implementation would immediately follow along with installation of/power generation conversion to, whatever potentially requisite support infrastructure (generating more jobs/new industry/economical support in the process) like falling dominoes...it would be just that simple.

The article says:
"And it is nippy around town. It does 0-62mph in less than 14 seconds – great for an electric."

OK, first of all, "nippy" (as a Britishism for "fast") sounds peculiar to us yanks. When I first read that I thought they must mean that the A/C is stuck on.

No, no...you've simply confused "nipply" (I'd post an image depiction, but I'd likely catch alot more flack than what I'm already experiencing, lol!) with "nippy", a common oversight.

Just-an-allusion

Because of persistent off-topic and abusive posts, and complaints from several members of the site, you have been restricted to posting in the off-topic section of the site only.

The next abusive post will earn you a ban, no questions asked.

Last edited:
Instead of addressing your digs (as well as others) in the form of personal attacks on my intellectual aptitude (or according to you the lack thereof) at this time, I choose to concern myself with the more so pertinent issue, i.e., "heat transference as the byproduct of work/friction:

Well I have four words for you: First Law of Thermodynamics.

So come on then, hit us up with how you intend to break it. Now's your chance.

Well, I actually have two(2) methods of circumventing/breaking the "First Law of Thermodynamics" depending upon the application which amounts to little more than removing from the equation/process that which is creating the heat (the troublemaker), i.e., circuitry generated heat and mechanical friction, both of which concern the operational processes of the Tesla Roadster's technology.

The first of which being Adiabatic system processes achieved via reversible, pipelined logic gates.

You see, while there are the typical forms of thermodynamic processes that are regulated by the definition you reference, i.e., isobaric, isochoric, and isothermal, my comments are more so oriented towards the less referenced, often discounted/disputed, adiabatic process wherein no heat is added or removed from a system. The first law of thermodynamics is thus reduced to saying that the change in the internal energy of a system undergoing an adiabatic change is equal to -W. Since the internal energy is directly proportional to temperature, the work becomes:

30b.GIF

As for the second method, well, that deals with the process of Diamagnetism, i.e., the property of a material/substance being repelled by both poles of a magnet.

Coincidentally, most substances that are commonly considered to be nonmagnetic, such as water, are actually diamagnetic. Though diamagnetism typically exhibits a very weak effect compared with ferromagnetism and paramagnetism, it can be employed to produce often very exciting effects such as levitating objects, e.g., rotors within the coils of a motor.

Understand now?

dpeilow said:
Oh - and do so objectively. Consider your previous posts strike 2.

"Strike" this.

As with most of the conflict that I encounter when attempting to disseminate information to others, it is often the byproduct of their not understanding the concepts that I'm attempting to convey, which is only exacerbated by their unwillingness to allow me the opportunity to explain myself, choosing instead to belittle and berate my contribution(s) as nonsensical gibberish/rantings of a confused troll.

When there is something that you do not quite understand/a concept that you do not quite grasp, it is always the best policy to ask a question and, if need be/if your ego demands it, look/feel a little foolish for a minute or two than it is to never ask a question and remain foolish about the matter for the rest of your life...some good advice that has served me well over the years as I am in the habit of asking alot of questions, afterall, who wants to go through life looking foolish, particularly if they are not?!

dpeilow said:
Just-an-allusion

Because of persistent off-topic and abusive posts, and complaints from several members of the site, you have been restricted to posting in the off-topic section of the site only.

Sir, I believe that you stand corrected and, as such, now owe me an apology.

Last edited:
Please guys enough is enough. I may not be as smart as all of you are, but I do know when it is time to stop. Allusion I'm not trying to call you out but every time im on I see your trying to outsmart everyone. No one likes a no it all, so please try to stop shoving this information in everyones faces.

Apologies for any offense, be it implied or real, as such was not my intent.

I was only concerned with defending myself/my position in a necessary effort to disseminate a new concept or two to the masses, not with "outsmarting" anyone or "shoving [any] information [into anyone's] faces...they need to know, even if they do not manage to catch on immediately, in order to secure the viability of this technology.

Just-an-allusion

Oh, so you and yours can abuse me in posts but I'm restricted from doing the same in kind? Talk about discrimination!

Give me a bit here to finish weeding through the more so pertinent posts to get caught up and then I'll eventually get back to JRP3's allegations and will clearly delineate just how on-topic my comments were to the subject matter of the thread.

Allusion

You've implied that Tesla's engineers have overlooked some fantastic way that they can charge their car quicker. Others and myself have asked you to elaborate on what that is. You might even say we asked the question of you.

Why don't you take this opportunity to show everyone - from first principles - what this idea is and let others peer review it? I know that you feel that you have explained things, but so far the ideas are not really joined together. This may be the source of the conflict that you have experienced elsewhere. Perhaps if you take this opportunity, others will see the merit in what you have to suggest.