Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought Model 3 LR AWD - want a performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's a common one. :D In the middle of some random meeting, someone will state an irrefutable fact, something irrelevant, something that has never been contradicted, and something everyone already knows...

They then sit back and smile as everyone nods with agreement with that ego-stroking thought of "I can tick the 'contributes ideas' box".

...sorry slow day.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
I think it's a common one. :D In the middle of some random meeting, someone will state an irrefutable fact, something irrelevant, something that has never been contradicted, and something everyone already knows...

They then sit back and smile as everyone nods with agreement with that ego-stroking thought of "I can tick the 'contributes ideas' box".

...sorry slow day.
I think that was me.

• Funny
Reactions: Runt8
Engineering Explained Upgrades To Tesla Model 3 Performance

This guy traded in his MR to tesla right after getting it. Almost broke even after you factor in he can still claim the tax credit as @Knightshade noted above.
I questioned this on the channel and got no reply. I'm not sure buying 2 you can leverage 2 tax credits NOR do many people have a tax liability high enough to get the full value from 2 credits. However if he can return the car due to this missed 3 day grace period he might be able to go that route

The difference is in the front motor reducing the delay more than anything. I bet OP would be plenty happy with an AWD non P. I never drove the MR glad I went with the AWD hearing about the lack of instant push

I questioned this on the channel and got no reply. I'm not sure buying 2 you can leverage 2 tax credits NOR do many people have a tax liability high enough to get the full value from 2 credits.

He doesn't need to have enough tax liability for both credits in one year.

His first car was delivered December 30, 2018.

His new car would be delivered in 2019.

Different tax years.

So he gets $7500 off his 2018 tax obligation and $3750 off his 2019 one.

Last edited:
I'm a little jealous of the OP getting a P as a loaner. I got a Nissan Rogue when my LR AWD 3 was at the service center. It may possibly have been the slowest car ever built (just one of many faults), but on the plus side now that I have my 3 back it feels faster than ever.

I keep getting Model S loaners with. Better than a Rogue, but still inferior to what I left at the service center…

edited to add: if they had autopilot it'd be much less of an annoyance. Blaming Enterprise for that particular deficiency…

Last edited:
I never considered the P because you’re paying so much money just for an additional 1 second acceleration, and I would also need to change to snow tires in the winter which is a hassle. With my aero wheels, I can run all seasons year round. Am I missing something? And with the BMW, at least there are some visual cues with the M3, whereas TESLA only has red calipers.

The AWD is amazing and fast, but if you drive the P in comparison, it will always win because, it's just fast-er. I made a point to never drive the P, and am exceedingly happy with the performance of the standard AWD.
Ah-men.

Following when I put in my order back in June I was going to test drive a P when possible, "just in case". In the end Tesla scrapped their initial plans for a P test drive unit locally. Once my VIN got assigned I stopped looking to do such a thing.

Besides I expect I wouldn't really want to unfurl the full distance between the D and the P on a public road test drive. :)

P.S. Then a genius in Tesla marketing sent me a "send me your contact info in exchange for a longshot at a free trip to drive the P on ice in Finland" email, well damn I couldn't pass on signing up for that. .... Stupid lizard brain.

I never considered the P because you’re paying so much money just for an additional 1 second acceleration, and I would also need to change to snow tires in the winter which is a hassle. With my aero wheels, I can run all seasons year round. Am I missing something? And with the BMW, at least there are some visual cues with the M3, whereas TESLA only has red calipers.

It's all relative. If your current car went 0-60 in 1.5 seconds and the new car could go 0-60 1 second faster, many people would pay tens of thousands for that 1 second upgrade.

I never considered the P because you’re paying so much money just for an additional 1 second acceleration,
Incorrect. Setting aside the bump in brakes hardware and a bit of suspension tuning, the biggie on my list is Track Mode.

I'm a little jealous of the OP getting a P as a loaner. I got a Nissan Rogue when my LR AWD 3 was at the service center.

I got a P85 S as my first loaner today. Driving home in the dark I finally figured out how to get CC activated and then settled in to, ugg, steer my way down the freeway. Second vehicle I came up on was going nearly as fast so I figure I wouldn't bother pass, just settle into traffic. But I kept getting closer and closer, then it dawned on my it wasn't TACC. It felt like I was a caveman banging rocks together trying to start a fire to cook my squirrel. :p

P.S. It feels all sorts of jumpy and funky when you launch with it. The rear wheels hop. LOL

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
It's all relative. If your current car went 0-60 in 1.5 seconds and the new car could go 0-60 1 second faster, many people would pay tens of thousands for that 1 second upgrade.
Totally. Not a lot of people understand what that 1 second really means, especially in such low times. Yes, it's all relative, but here's the reality of it all - the AWD non-P eats dust...a lot of it. OP wants a Performance so he/she should get a Performance. Don't regret it. They still regret not asking Bobbie Sue to the high school dance! This time make the right choice.

Based on the original post yeah if they have the money and want to do it then there is no point asking a forum. 99.9% of people would have to consider the financial implications related to the usage per dollar of that performance. No wonder everyone is going bankrupt and are in debt. This guy will too if he continues to make bad financial decisions. Doesn't matter how much money you have. Who here does not owe any money? I can happily put up my hand, no mortgage debt, car debt or credit card debt but I only drive a LR RWD. So I suggest people use some logic and make smart decisions. If it isn't his money then he can stop and respect his parents money and show some restraint

Totally. Not a lot of people understand what that 1 second really means, especially in such low times. Yes, it's all relative, but here's the reality of it all - the AWD non-P eats dust...a lot of it. OP wants a Performance so he/she should get a Performance. Don't regret it. They still regret not asking Bobbie Sue to the high school dance! This time make the right choice.

He doesn't need to have enough tax liability for both credits in one year.

His first car was delivered December 30, 2018.

His new car would be delivered in 2019.

Different tax years.

So he gets $7500 off his 2018 tax obligation and $3750 off his 2019 one.

Engineering Explained said in the video he got both his cars in the same year...so thanks for the detailed explanation. Doesn't address my question

Engineering Explained said in the video he got both his cars in the same year...so thanks for the detailed explanation. Doesn't address my question

Sorry, I was talking about the actual OP the thread is about, not the youtube guy- Here's the actual original post from this thread-

Hey guys

Long story short I bought a LR AWD model 3 12/30/18.

So there's no implications or issues at all with him taking 2 tax credits in full, one in each year.

Though if this other guy is making a lot of $ on youtube he might well have enough tax liability to take 2 credits same year anyway.

Last edited:
Dude, how old are you, 16? Mom and dad bought you a 60k car? WTF has this world come to?

To the OPs actual points, your issue is that you drove the P. The AWD is amazing and fast, but if you drive the P in comparison, it will always win because, it's just fast-er. I made a point to never drive the P, and am exceedingly happy with the performance of the standard AWD.

I was going to ask the same thing.

Maybe his parents could adopt all of us.