Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just did LA to Las Vegas in a Model X 60D with 22in wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove to Vegas as a 60D, came back as a 75D.

Way I drive + headwinds and who knows what, I was forced to tail behind a trailer and draft to make sure I make it to the next charger.

Now with the performance uncorking for 75D, it makes it even more worthwhile to up the battery.

As a general advice, everyone should stop at Barstow and Primm. You never know if the highway gets congested and it becomes harder to get to the interior LV chargers.

Reactions: Big Earl
Did this in my MX60D 4 DAYS BEFORE IT WAS TOTALED. Last out of 12 glorious road trips I did in 8 months. Did Barstow and then Primm and charged at my hotel. If you stop at Primm and full charge you'll get to Vegas and have enough to drive around and get back to Primm in case hotel has no chargers or not available. Although, there is a SC right b4 the airport. Did 80-85 the whole way on AP1

As a rule I always get an extra 25-40 miles past when the car tells you that you have enough to continue. You just never know when a SC is going to be full or a nasty headwind will sneak up or anything. I've also noticed that if you "charge often, for shorter time periods" it seems to reduce trip time versus charging past 80%.

Something else that could factor in is AC use. You may want to have your windows tinted for the next trip to keep the AC from working hard. Just a thought, on a trip from San Jose to LA earlier this year my AC got overwhelmed when it got over 100 outside... going to get my car tinted before next summer.

Reactions: Big Earl
I recently did a road trip from DC to Columbus, OH in a Model X 75D. The fastest overall travel time is definitely achieved by charging more frequently for shorter periods. Ideal battery range is probably 10% to 60% but I tended to stick with 15% - 65% for that extra cushion in case of weather or traffic. The charge rate tapers significantly above that, requiring time that would be better spent back on the road. Skipping a supercharger ended up costing more time due to the need to charge to a higher state of charge to get that extra range.

Reactions: DoubleDownOn9