Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just drove a loaner 2015 P85D (L?) today ..... OMG.........

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
Dropped off my 2016 75D at the Tesla Oakville SC for a faint but noticeable rattle sound coming from the front of the car (when seated in the car, you can hear the sound as if its coming from the steering or thereabouts).

Anyway they gave me a 2015 P85DL - it has Insane and Insane + modes, I guess its a P85DL. Is that correct.

OMG, is all I can say about the acceleration. It makes the 75D which is no slouch by any measure (4.2 or 4.4 seconds to 60 MPH).

The tires are 19 inch all seasons and the launch felt like the tires (and I just had the car in Insane mode, not Insane +) were struggling to keep their traction. I felt a bit dizzy for a split second as it launched.

I wish I hadn't driven this car, now I want one so badly........................ :(

IMG_20190930_101734.jpg
IMG_20190930_131551.jpg

Dropped off my 2016 75D at the Tesla Oakville SC for a faint but noticeable rattle sound coming from the front of the car (when seated in the car, you can hear the sound as if its coming from the steering or thereabouts).

Anyway they gave me a 2015 P85DL - it has Insane and Insane + modes, I guess its a P85DL. Is that correct.

OMG, is all I can say about the acceleration. It makes the 75D which is no slouch by any measure (4.2 or 4.4 seconds to 60 MPH).

The tires are 19 inch all seasons and the launch felt like the tires (and I just had the car in Insane mode, not Insane +) were struggling to keep their traction. I felt a bit dizzy for a split second as it launched.

I wish I hadn't driven this car, now I want one so badly........................ :(

View attachment 461051 View attachment 461053

Got two words for you....................buy it!

That is just regular 'ole P85D, no L. The L's go even faster and have Ludicrious mode. :D
What's the INSANE+?

IMG_20190930_131606.jpg

That's why they give the fast one out as loaners, so that you want to buy a new one and upgrade :p

Got two words for you....................buy it!

Similar thing happened to me, mobile service took my 85D and gave me a P90DL loaner. I immediately wanted one.
I didn't realize it was deliberate!! LOL Too funny.

What's the INSANE+?

View attachment 461064

I didn't realize it was deliberate!! LOL Too funny.

It is what Tesla calls Max Battery mode now. Used to be you had Insane then Max Battery, which would warm your battery to optimum temps for max power.

L cars will have Ludicrious and I assume Ludicrious +(?), although I am not too sure of that having just a regular P85D

It is what Tesla calls Max Battery mode now. Used to be you had Insane then Max Battery, which would warm your battery to optimum temps for max power.

L cars will have Ludicrious and I assume Ludicrious +(?), although I am not too sure of that having just a regular P85D
So INSANE is slower than INSANE+? Why bother with INSANE+ to begin with. I don't get that. I can understand the Ludicrous and Ludicrous + Maybe its a safety thing they did after Insane mode was available to increase the battery's longevity.

So INSANE is slower than INSANE+? Why bother with INSANE+ to begin with. I don't get that. I can understand the Ludicrous and Ludicrous + Maybe its a safety thing they did after Insane mode was available to increase the battery's longevity.

Insane + takes time to prep and isnt really a daily driver mode. It is more for launches. (Like launch mode on an ICE sports car) Insane can be used on a daily basis and is faster than Sport.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
I bought my Insane 2015 P85D+ before Ludicrous was offered as an upgrade (and is no longer available). Drove it Insane for 2.5 years then upgraded it to Ludicrous in January 2018 right after the Ludicrous upgrade offer expired. My P85D+ was probably the last Ludicrous upgrade Tesla installed.

SIGNIFICANT difference in acceleration with the Ludicrous upgrade vs. Insane.

Insane is great 0 to ~ 30 mph then Insane acceleration fades compared to Ludicrous which continues to pull HARD to ~ 60 mph.

Ludicrous also maintains its power at lower SoC (State of Charge) while Insane really needs to be 80% or even 90% to get full power.

I later replaced my original HEAVY 21" Turbine "square" wheels and Continental ContiSportContact tires with much lighter and stronger 21" Arachnid "staggered" wheels and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires which definitely feel faster and handle better too. The "staggered" Arachnids and super sticky Michelin PSS tires are the perfect combination with the Plus Suspension.

LOVE to drive this beast... especially since it's EPA rated at 90 MPGe... or INFINITY MPGe when I utilize the FREE Supercharging.

I bought Tesla's 4 year Extended Service Agreement in March which will give me 4 more years / 50,000 more Smiles with only a small deductible for any issues. Should hold me over until the Model S is refreshed... or I find a deal on a Plaid Model S.

In the meantime, lovin' my "unicorn" ride (which even had NextGen (Recaro) leather seats front and rear:

IMG_4896.JPG

d%2z4Q8pT5OWeq6JsFe31A_thumb_469b.jpg

So you are telling us that you can understand Ludicrous and Ludicrous+, but you think it's ludicrous to have insane+?

So you are telling us that you can understand Ludicrous and Ludicrous+, but you think it's ludicrous to have insane+?
Pretty much, based on the videos I've seen of folks enabling Ludicrous + by going through so many warning prompts - get permission from Mommy etc. :) So I figured it must be significant difference between the two. Anyway it doesn't matter in the end. I can't get one anyway. I would take a bath on my 75D that I've had for only 3 months.

Sorry to hear that. Owning a P is the most fun I've had in a car for YEARS!! Well...........the most fun I've had in a car for years with my clothes on that is.
I almost got a 2014 P85D before I got my 75D, but I missed the deal at the last minute. One day, in the future when I replace the 75D, I hope to get a 2018 P100D or 2019 Dual Motor Long Range Performance

Reactions: byeLT4