Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got a VIN. What to do next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I ordered a MY LR blue in March, upgraded to MYP in the 1st week of Sept. Just got a VIN. I already am approved through Everence for the loan. Do i upload my current car insurance or have to buy one for the MY? What are the next steps? Please advise. Thanks!

Hello,

I ordered a MY LR blue in March, upgraded to MYP in the 1st week of Sept. Just got a VIN. I already am approved through Everence for the loan. Do i upload my current car insurance or have to buy one for the MY? What are the next steps? Please advise. Thanks!

Loans with third party need some extra work. Get the MVPA generated with “loan” selected (NOT cash) so all state fees are included and send that to Everence. Bank of America approved me for a loan but would not finally approve until I sent a MVPA with exact amounts and thus I ended up with Tesla approved financing at the last minute.

Car insurance is state to state on a new car. You need to upload current insurance for some states and in others you need to be fully insured on your Y before delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: Budding
FYI, if you decide to go with Tesla insurance (if that is even available to you), note that they won't 'bind' the insurance to the car until you actually have a pickup appointment - they won't do it based just on the EDD date range.

So wait until the pickup appt. is set, then camp on the phone to get the insurance (just did this over the weekend for my new S)

• Informative
Reactions: Pricedm and Budding
Tesla got back to me finally and stated current insurance is fine. Uploaded that, got the MVPA and forwarded to Everence. Now waiting on a delivery date. States Oct 5-15 in FL
If not already - Everence will require you to get insurance and list them as first payee before they release the funds. I am currently in this process....delivery tomorrow.

I opted for paper check to be sent to Tesla, will get to my delivery center today in time for delivery tomorrow.
There have been instances (seen in this forum) where it is very hard to reverse payment to a VIN in case you have to reject delivery. Then you can't use that (wired funds) to pay for another VIN.