TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Just made the plunge

Discussion in 'Model S' started by KL670, Jun 13, 2017.

1. KL670

KL670 Member

Hi all,
    After going back and forth in the past 2 yrs, I put down the deposit for one of the CPO Model S P85's. I thought it was a good deal. It's a 2013 has 40k miles so it'll come with the 4 yr or 50k mile warranty. It doesn't have AP which I can live with because I'll just love driving the thing!!
    My question is where I should go for a loan. Do people typically go with Tesla? My advisor said it's generally 2.5-4%. Any thoughts?? I'm so glad to be part of the family

• Like x 1
  2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I started with credit unions first. Much lower rate than tesla and their banks

3. rpm001

rpm001 Member

Congrats! You're going to LOVE it!

• Like x 1
  4. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Congrats! It is an awesome feeling when you finally drive away! I agree, I would begin with Credit Unions, but shop around like anything else.

5. KL670

KL670 Member

Thanks for your support!! Part of me is still questioning if it's the right decision since I placed a deposit on a model 3 as well. My thinking is at the end of the day the S is still a more superior car than the 3 despite all the bells and whistles. I hope I'm not fooling myself.

6. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

The tech will continue to improve. However, the sooner behind the wheel the better. Any Tesla is superior to 99% of the cars on the planet, I didn't make it 100% because I want some wiggle room. :cool: Choosing between Teslas, that's a budget and timing thing.

7. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

Credit union for me as well. I went with USE, Berkeley based if I recall. Don't need to start shopping for loans until you have a confirmed delivery date IMO. My car was delayed which caused my loan to expire and the CU had to re-run my credit for loan #2.

8. JHawk

JHawk Member

Credit union for me too. Mine is currently offering 2.09% for up to 72mo contracts.

9. Takumi

Takumi Member

#9 Takumi, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    We started with the banks, but the banks were too high. Tesla gave us the lowest at 1.74% for 72mo, but my SO and I worked on getting our scores past 800 prior to making the purchase.

Definitely shop around for the best rate.

10. KL670

KL670 Member

Just talked to a CU and the best they have is 2.25% for 5 years and 1.99% for 3 years. Will need to do more homework.

11. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

dcu.org is currently showing 1.99 up to 65 months. New or used, same rate.

12. KL670

KL670 Member

Oh I forgot to mention I paid $47500 for my 2013 P85. How you think I did? It has the pano roof and obech wood trim and tech package. Nothing fancy. I really like the fact that it comes with the 4 year warranty.

I'll look at dcu.org too. Thanks.

13. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

That's a great price since you got a 4 yr warranty. USE CU currently has rates at 1.49% up to 84 mo for any car 2011 and newer. I also got 3 months deferred payments when I got my loan in Dec through them.

14. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

Alliant CU here. First car I've ever bought on credit, but the rate was so low they're basically paying me to hold their money (assuming I invest it reasonably). Getting any sort of decent Tesla for under $50k seems pretty sweet. Enjoy.