Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Ordered 01/26/18...A lot of questions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
So I have yet to see a Model 3 in person but based on everything I'm reading, everyone seemed very impressed. My main reason in choosing a Tesla over any other EV is the charging network they have built. Anyways, I'm hoping everyone can help answer several questions:

1) I'm 6'3", almost 6'4"....,mostly in the legs. I've viewed some Youtube videos (one with 6'7" guy) and it seems they fit. My question is I have two child seats that will need to go in the back as well, behind me. Will they fit? And then where will my eyes be looking out the windshield? I don't want to have to duck or slouch to drive. I currently have a 17' Prius Prime and have actually 1-2" above my head sitting up which is one of the first sedans I've ever fit in.

2) I'm debating if I need the premium package...
  • What kind of seat material do you get without it? Is it still leather or cloth? With kids I need leather for easy cleanup.
  • How much of a difference is there between the standard radio and upgraded? I'm not a huge audio fanatic but love to listen to my music loud when driving if that helps.
  • I could care less about the heated seats or heated steering wheel (I dont even know if that is an option)
  • Power seats are just one more thing to break
3) Autopilot....
  • My current Prius Prime has adaptive cruise control, lane assist, and backup camera. Is that what autopilot includes on Teslas?
  • Does the model 3 offer blind spot monitor?
  • Is it worth $6,000?
4) In NV, the DMV bases our registration costs off the MSRP. If I get the bigger battery that puts the MSRP automatically at $44,000. So I think I want to stay at the $35,000. The question is, do packages add into that for registration purposes too? Would it be smarter to wait and add some packages after the initial purchase?

5) Anyone in Las Vegas or surrounding areas that would be willing to meet up to see it in person? (It's worth a shot lol)

Thank you ahead of time for the responses. I know this was a long post, but thought it would be better to post once rather than 15 different times to answer the questions. I realize I'm about 12-18 months out from getting the car, but I can't wait to be a part of the Tesla family! Congrats to everyone that has them already!

So I have yet to see a Model 3 in person but based on everything I'm reading, everyone seemed very impressed. My main reason in choosing a Tesla over any other EV is the charging network they have built. Anyways, I'm hoping everyone can help answer several questions:
Understand that I don't own a 3 yet, I'm a couple of months away, but I have spent quite a bit of time playing with other owners' cars.
1. Difficult question to answer, you will fit fine and have oodles of headroom and you won't need to put the diver's seat all the back. PUP power seats have height adjustment so you put your eye level wherever you want, no need to adjust to see speedometer behind steering wheel because there isn't one. Car seats are tough because there are so many variables - front or rear facing, overall size, age of kids, how many kids, etc. Be aware that PUP has all glass roof which provides for extra headroom over front passengers. Standard interior (not available yet) has a metal roof over front seat passengers with reduced headroom. The model 3 has more interior room in all directions than the Prius. If the Prius works for you, the model 3 will work even better.
2. PUP has Vegan (fake leather similar to Prius 'leather') Base model has cloth
PUP has fabulous music system. You can turn it up to 11 with no distortion. Nobody knows what standard music system is like because it hasn't been produced yet.
PUP has heated seats. Standard will probably not.
Standard interior (not available yet) will have limited or no power seats. Nobody knows yet.
3. EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) has all the Prius features plus more, like auto lane change. The model 3 does not have Blind Spot Monitor yet. It will probably be added at some time in the future with free software update. EAP is $5000 option and it is definitely worth it to me.
4. Can't speak for Nevada. In California, sales tax and annual registration are based on sales price. Only options that can be added later (at this time) are Auto Pilot ($5000) and Full Self Driving ($3000). You can add those later through software updates, but they will then cost $6000 and $4000. It is less expensive for me to add them now because additional sales tax and registration is less than the extra $1000 each. The $35,000 car is still about 6 months away.
5. I think that will have one at the Las Vegas showroom soon, if not already. The 3 is so much better in person than seen in photos and videos, prepare to be WOWED. I own a Prius, no comparison.

It appears to me that you will want:
the base model with 220 miles range ($35000)
PUP for "Leather" seats, extra front seat headroom and fabulous sound system ($5000)
EAP since you like Prius TACC ($5000)
Upgrade Color since the only base color is black and I doubt you want that in NV ($1000)
Mandatory delivery and prep ($1000)

Total price = $47000 (which is exactly the same configuration I will be getting)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TEG
Don't know about the 3 but 2 child seats easily fit in the MS. I've seen posts that yes, 2 child seats fit in the 3. Have you tried sitting in the MS? my guess is that if you don't fit in the MS you won't fit in the 3. MX is very easy to get into and out of if you can stretch the budget.

@ Ldkmxp100d --> No I am not. I have never owned a Tesla. The model S seats irritated me and squeezed me too much and it was hard to see out of.

@davidc18 --> I fit in the Model S, just the side bolsters irritated me alot with those seats. I didn't try to put car seats in it.

@T34ME --> Thank you for the long reply. I'm probably going to do the standard battery with premium package and thats it. I thought the autopilot package was going to be $6,000, but still $5,000 is a lot to pay for something that you still have to pay attention to stuff anyways. Actual autopilot where the driver doesn't have to pay attention is years off still i think. As for the car seats, the kids face forward now....im just worried about their leg room and kicking the seats since the car seat pushes them forward a little. I can't seem to find any videos with car seats in the M3 yet. As for color, I will probably stick with black. I don't like paying extra for colors, its a rip off and a way car companies should not be using in my opinion. As long as I tint the windows I should be fine....just worried about the top glass with the heat here. I'm very curious to see the basic stereo and cloth when it comes out, as well as see if the standard seats will adjust up/down. Guess I'll have to wait and see....

@Ldkmxp100d --> No I am not. I have never owned a Tesla. The model S seats irritated me and squeezed me too much and it was hard to see out of.

@davidc18 --> I fit in the Model S, just the side bolsters irritated me alot with those seats. I didn't try to put car seats in it.
Me too on both accounts; the side irritators on the seats of the Model S I bought were unacceptable. I had to put in a rear cushion, and it merely lessened the pain, not eliminated it. I was willing to go 3rd party seats if I had to, but I knew it would require a lot of work to shoehorn them in, and later I learned that the seat air bags wouldn't deploy right if they weren't part of the Tesla seat design, so that idea soured. I really wanted a Tesla; if I didn't, then the seats in the demo models were telling me "don't buy me!". I think I should have waited anyway, since that car wasn't that great for me.

The Model 3 also had the side irritator things on the back of the seat, but they weren't as bad for me. I hope you get a chance to test sitting in them to find out if they fit your body. They're definitely different.

I also had trouble seeing out of Model S; seeing out of a Mercedes E class was easier for me. I think the Model 3 is a slight improvement over the Model S; somewhere in between.

@dano9258 by the time you get your invite, there should be plenty of Model 3s around to see including the different variations and I'd bet test drive too. That should make it easier to know what to configure. What are you driving now?

BTW I'm pretty sure I've seen somewhere in the Model 3 forum area people who have put 2 car seats in their Model 3. I do understand your concern being so long legged that the child seated behind you might be kicking your seat back. If you can locate those posts (remember seeing photos), I'm sure if you posted to their thread or PMd them that they can give you an idea of rear seat room.

Last edited:

1) I'm 6'3", almost 6'4"....,mostly in the legs. I've viewed some Youtube videos (one with 6'7" guy) and it seems they fit. My question is I have two child seats that will need to go in the back as well, behind me. Will they fit? And then where will my eyes be looking out the windshield? I don't want to have to duck or slouch to drive. I currently have a 17' Prius Prime and have actually 1-2" above my head sitting up which is one of the first sedans I've ever fit in.

2) I'm debating if I need the premium package...
  • What kind of seat material do you get without it? Is it still leather or cloth? With kids I need leather for easy cleanup.
  • How much of a difference is there between the standard radio and upgraded? I'm not a huge audio fanatic but love to listen to my music loud when driving if that helps.
  • I could care less about the heated seats or heated steering wheel (I dont even know if that is an option)
  • Power seats are just one more thing to break
3) Autopilot....
  • My current Prius Prime has adaptive cruise control, lane assist, and backup camera. Is that what autopilot includes on Teslas?
  • Does the model 3 offer blind spot monitor?
  • Is it worth $6,000?
4) In NV, the DMV bases our registration costs off the MSRP. If I get the bigger battery that puts the MSRP automatically at $44,000. So I think I want to stay at the $35,000. The question is, do packages add into that for registration purposes too? Would it be smarter to wait and add some packages after the initial purchase?

5) Anyone in Las Vegas or surrounding areas that would be willing to meet up to see it in person? (It's worth a shot lol)

Thank you ahead of time for the responses. I know this was a long post, but thought it would be better to post once rather than 15 different times to answer the questions. I realize I'm about 12-18 months out from getting the car, but I can't wait to be a part of the Tesla family! Congrats to everyone that has them already!

I don't own a Model 3 yet, but maybe I can add a bit of info and opinion to your first three points.

1) I can't comment on that, but I'd be interested, too. The S isn't really a tall person's car, I can sit only in the front of my S comfortably and I am about as tall as you are. But that's mostly because of headroom.
Here is a good video on seating in the S, X and 3:
And here one from a non Tesla fan boy, who is as tall as we are:

2) The standard car is still mostly unknown, but given that the PUP is 5k, I wouldn't expect a lot of luxury in the base car.

3) EAP is 5k and that is definitely too much for what you will get, but on the other hand there are no other options to add just a bit of driver assistance features, like TACC. And since I've heard that you have to adjust the standard cruise control over the screen, in 1mph increments, you will probably want EAP, if you like TACC.

EAP adds a couple of features your Prime doesn't have, like auto parking, or changing the lane if you hit the indicator, but you lack blind spot monitoring (for now) and no one really knows how much functionality we will get with EAP anyways.

Personally I will get EAP, because I still think the car is worth the price, even if EAP isn't.

I am 6'1", the Model 3 is definitely easier to get in and out of for me, both front and rear seats. Driver visibility is also better than the Model S and I find the seats much more comfortable than Model S (mine are the original version so ymmv).

I am new to Autopilot and TACC since my Model S has none of these features. I like it overall but find it is a bit more prone to using the brake to slow down than I am (I rely more on regen and predict sooner than the TACC when to begin to slow down).

In Virginia, I was taxed on all options at time of sale including things which come standard on the car (Autopilot Hardware) but are simply software activated. I also get the joy of paying annual personal property tax on the assessed value of the vehicle.

I'm 6'2" and was able to bring my toddler's convertible car seat (Nuna Rava) to a private 1:1 Model 3 showing a new owner agreed to hold. Forward facing, no problem with me sitting in front. Rear facing, had to move front seat up a little bit, but not to the point of it feeling cramped or uncomfortable. Also, our Nuna Mixx stroller fit just fine in the trunk, and the detachable seat component even fit into the frunk (had to remove the front bar, which easily naps on and off).

We have a baby on the way, so we will be fitting 2 rear facing seats - the Rava and Nuna Pipa - in the back for quite a while.

For size comparison, this car has MUCH more room for car seats than our current Acura ILX (only 1 rear facing seat fits, in the middle), and around just as much room for rear facing car seats as a 2018 Acura RDX, Honda CR-V, Audi Q5, and more room than the 2018 Toyota Rav4. Those SUVs, and the upcoming 2019 Acura RDX, are the Model 3's competition for next vehicle in our household (wife wants an SUV, I'm standing firm on the 3 - she did not attend the showing with me).

I am 6'1", the Model 3 is definitely easier to get in and out of for me, both front and rear seats. Driver visibility is also better than the Model S and I find the seats much more comfortable than Model S (mine are the original version so ymmv).

I am new to Autopilot and TACC since my Model S has none of these features. I like it overall but find it is a bit more prone to using the brake to slow down than I am (I rely more on regen and predict sooner than the TACC when to begin to slow down).

In Virginia, I was taxed on all options at time of sale including things which come standard on the car (Autopilot Hardware) but are simply software activated. I also get the joy of paying annual personal property tax on the assessed value of the vehicle.

I'm also in VA, do you mean they taxed you on Full Self Driving even though you didn't actually add that option?

You gotta love that pers prop tax..... All of my gas savings (~$200/month with charging included) will basically even out with the Tax and extra insurance costs. I guess I could sell my 12 yr old truck but want to keep it around for a bit as this is my first venture into EVs

I'm also in VA, do you mean they taxed you on Full Self Driving even though you didn't actually add that option?

You gotta love that pers prop tax..... All of my gas savings (~$200/month with charging included) will basically even out with the Tax and extra insurance costs. I guess I could sell my 12 yr old truck but want to keep it around for a bit as this is my first venture into EVs

No, they taxed me on the EAP (which I ordered) not FSD (which I did not). My point was it seems interesting to charge tax on a feature which is standard on the 35k vehicle (hardware is on all cars) but is only activated through software. My understanding is there are some exceptions to charging tax on software but I could be mistaken. The personal property tax is a different issue though. It is supposed to be only on the base model of the car not added options. It gets a little tricky with a Tesla to figure out what is base or not (eg is the larger battery an option?).