Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered my Model 3! When should I expect my VIN assignment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome and congrats! I ordered two Model 3's: July 2019 & September 2019. Got a VIN quickly on both but the VIN showed up in the source code before on account page.

2019: 2.5 weeks order>delivery
2020: 4 weeks order>delivery
Thank you so much for your reply! I looked back to last July to get an idea of when orders were delivered, but I know that COVID has changed everything so I don't know what to expect! I ordered my Model 3 July 18th, and nothing yet, so hopefully before the month ends I'll have a VIN!

Thank you so much for your reply! I looked back to last July to get an idea of when orders were delivered, but I know that COVID has changed everything so I don't know what to expect! I ordered my Model 3 July 18th, and nothing yet, so hopefully before the month ends I'll have a VIN!
I just ordered the Tesla 3 Long Range the day before you on July 17th and I also live in Texas (Austin). I'll try to keep you posted on any significant movement for the delivery on my end, if you do the same for me:) Not sure if our different trims will play into different wait times for us, but we'll see!

Reactions: Siromnom
I just ordered the Tesla 3 Long Range the day before you on July 17th and I also live in Texas (Austin). I'll try to keep you posted on any significant movement for the delivery on my end, if you do the same for me:) Not sure if our different trims will play into different wait times for us, but we'll see!
Congratulations on your order! I sure will. My advisor called me today saying still no VIN assigned to my order, however it could be within the next week based on her previous orders.

I paid the $100 on 2 June, asking that the order be submitted in Jan 2021. On 17 July, I requested the order be submitted as soon as possible. I got an email date stamped at 12:05 am on 18 July saying that it had been submitted. I gave them financing information the same day. US Bank ran a credit check on 19 July. I gave Tesla my insurance information on 20 July.

My order agreement says, "Order placed with electronically accepted terms 06/22/2020" [sic]

Nothing about my VIN yet.

Congratulations on your order! I sure will. My advisor called me today saying still no VIN assigned to my order, however it could be within the next week based on her previous orders.
Oh wow! Coincidentally I emailed both my account advisor and delivery advisor asking if, based on their other customers, if my 4-8 week estimated delivery (from July 17th) is still on point, or if others might be getting their delivery dates earlier or later than their time frame.

Oh wow! Coincidentally I emailed both my account advisor and delivery advisor asking if, based on their other customers, if my 4-8 week estimated delivery (from July 17th) is still on point, or if others might be getting their delivery dates earlier or later than their time frame.
Good luck hearing back from them. The communication with Tesla has been awful!

Just an update, my financial advisor called me today saying it would be another 3-4 weeks until I receive my VIN, and then another week after closing until delivery. "So total about 6 weeks away."

I'm in TX and ordered a SR+, white on white on 7/18 with a 4-8 week delivery timeframe. Did not expect to have to wait 9 weeks, but good things come to those who wait I guess!

Just an update, my financial advisor called me today saying it would be another 3-4 weeks until I receive my VIN, and then another week after closing until delivery. "So total about 6 weeks away."

I'm in TX and ordered a SR+, white on white on 7/18 with a 4-8 week delivery timeframe. Did not expect to have to wait 9 weeks, but good things come to those who wait I guess!
I'm in Texas too and ordered a blue, LR the day before you, with a 4-8 week delivery time frame as well. I'm hoping their estimate is on the conservative side and we still get our cars before the full 8 weeks are up. Where in Texas are you? I'm in Austin.

I'm in Texas too and ordered a blue, LR the day before you, with a 4-8 week delivery time frame as well. I'm hoping their estimate is on the conservative side and we still get our cars before the full 8 weeks are up. Where in Texas are you? I'm in Austin.

I'm in Dallas! And I really hope so too because if she is correct, then that's a total of almost 10 weeks from order to delivery which is ridiculous. I'm thankful for the calls, but at the same time I get excited everytime because I think it's Tesla calling with my VIN...

Reactions: swb2734
Ordered: 7/5
Received VIN allocation: 8/2
Expected delivery: 8/18
Time frame upon ordering: 8-12 weeks

Spec: Performance trim
Exterior: Midnight Silver Metallic
Interior: Black

I'll let you know once I take delivery of the vehicle.
Ah, congratulations! I'm in Dallas and ordered my SR+, white on white, on 7/18. So hopefully by the end of August! Keep me posted!

Reactions: ziggityzen
Update: Just received an automated text saying my order will be ready in an estimated 3-6 weeks. Says it could be before then as well. Located in Texas, ordered White/White SR+ with 19s on 7/18. Had a 4-8 week timeframe then.

Ordered: 7/5
Received VIN allocation: 8/2
Expected delivery: 8/18
Time frame upon ordering: 8-12 weeks

Spec: Performance trim
Exterior: Midnight Silver Metallic
Interior: Black

I'll let you know once I take delivery of the vehicle.

Just spoke to a rep and they said there could be a delay in delivery. I was told the vehicle travels via rail from California to Arkansas. Takes a few days to process then is picked up via transport and delivered to Texas. I'll continue to update as I receive more information.