Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered Tesla solar panels, tips, do’s and dont’s welcome!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks. I’m new to this forum. Learned a lot from lurking. I just placed my order a week or two ago. Going with 17 kw and 4 pw’s. Working on the paperwork now. I’m in Florida and Duke is my utility. Was hoping for some tips on what you wished you knew or did when you were in the early stages as I am now. My site assessment is next week. Thanks for any insight or tips you can offer!

1. Orientation plays a big part in the production you will get. Don't know if your roof situation allows for angled southern exposure, but its the way to go. Also, its better to remove/move vent pipes then mess with the panel layout to go around them. Depending on the city, some vents can be cut down and the panels installed over them.

2. With that size of a system, don't be surprised if you need a main panel upgrade or other upgrades. The good news is that with that size of a system, yo should be able to back up the whole home and not get into the weeds about what is backed up and what is not backed up. Tesla was very competitive in terms of doing that part of the job vs. having it done with an electrician you find.

3. Issues with your utility (Duke) are local. From here in CA not much to say but the utility, unfortunately, is a major reason for delay throughout the project.

4. You may already know this, but city inspection (for building code purposes) is in addition to utility inspection and or approval.

5. With this timing, you should get installed right in spring, as the good solar months arrive. One thing all current customers get is the upgrade on the app whereby, even if there is a lag until the utility give Permission to Operate (PTO), you can select "go off grid" and run the system anyway. Another poster from Florida, Brent S, had to run months of "testing" prior to PTO as the "go off grid" button did not exist a year ago.

9B22E993-FC5E-442B-AAAD-AD14B390F8D6.jpeg
Thanks for the reply and tips. Unfortunately the best part of the roof for panels also faces due north so they need to work around it. I’m gonna talk to them when they come out for the site survey and see if they’ll pack as much possible on the due south facing slopes area of the roof.

My main panel is 200A so I should be good there I assume?

View attachment 739594Thanks for the reply and tips. Unfortunately the best part of the roof for panels also faces due north so they need to work around it. I’m gonna talk to them when they come out for the site survey and see if they’ll pack as much possible on the due south facing slopes area of the roof.

My main panel is 200A so I should be good there I assume?

The 200A is likely good, but there are weird electricity based reasons why it could in theory need something.

Note that one vent on the south layout which looks to be blocking a panel or two.

The four panels which look to be facing northeast are the main candidates for relocation.

The 200A is likely good, but there are weird electricity based reasons why it could in theory need something.

Note that one vent on the south layout which looks to be blocking a panel or two.

The four panels which look to be facing northeast are the main candidates for relocation.
So during the site visit is when I want to nail down all panel locations correct? Will they then give me a new design and I’m assuming that’s what the installers will go by? Is the person coming out for the site visit part of the install team?

South is the def. way to go. I wish I had fought my HOA who said they "prefer" backyard. Oh well they need to come down since they are rentals and realtor said they might impact sale. I'm barely breaking even for the year @$50/mo for 3.7Kwh

I guess I should start a take down thread for my take down tips :)

It would not necessarily have been a fight. Under California Solar Rights Act, HOAs are limited in what they can restrict.

Fair enough. At the time I didn't realize what a big difference north west facing would be. I do get some fringe benefits with TOU plan, but hard to quantify when I'm only getting 5kwh /day now total.

On the + side no removal costs. I'm having them give me a buy out quote and maybe they'll move them for X$

We had a 200A main panel but our bus bar was also 200A and for our 8.16kW solar/3 PW system we need a 225A bus and therefore had to upgrade our main panel. There was a thread on here that explained the load calculations and % over it that was required for the bus.

I'm reading those four panels to be facing south, not northeast, so orientation might be fine. To me, it looks like that roof plane is between a valley to the west and a gable to the east, with a ridge to the north, making it south-facing...

Do off grid testing and get them to update your max off grid frequency to 62hz before the installer leaves. Try the system out with full sun, full Powerwalls if you can and see what happens when you cut grid power.

Fair enough. At the time I didn't realize what a big difference north west facing would be. I do get some fringe benefits with TOU plan, but hard to quantify when I'm only getting 5kwh /day now total.

On the + side no removal costs. I'm having them give me a buy out quote and maybe they'll move them for X$
Are you saying you are generating 5 kWh/day all year. Or just recently. We are coming up on the worse day of the year for solar in 3 weeks, Dec 21.

Are you saying you are generating 5 kWh/day all year. Or just recently. We are coming up on the worse day of the year for solar in 3 weeks, Dec 21.

Fair enough. YTD I've generated 5 Mwh YTD and paid ~$600
(well $550 since they'll waive December till they take the panels down they've stopped charging me-$100 Referral )

I looked at the rental as a trial since I'm moving soon and knew i wouldn't break even on purchase. It's taught me a valuable lesson, most important factor is panel orientation. Lesson learned for our forever home.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211203-213020_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20211203-213020_Tesla.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I'm reading those four panels to be facing south, not northeast, so orientation might be fine. To me, it looks like that roof plane is between a valley to the west and a gable to the east, with a ridge to the north, making it south-facing...
This correct. Those are south facing. I’ve messaged a couple times about squeezing a few more panels on the other south facing planes. No answer. Will I be able to discuss this with the guy coming out for the site survey this week?

This correct. Those are south facing. I’ve messaged a couple times about squeezing a few more panels on the other south facing planes. No answer. Will I be able to discuss this with the guy coming out for the site survey this week?
I am sure the person will discuss it. But, they may not be the decision-maker. Likely someone at the central office will decide based on the design and onsite inspection. There are certain requirements (set-backs, etc.) per local codes and Tesla internal standards the roof design must meet.

Is the person that comes out for the site visit part of the install team?
They were not on our SolarRoof install. In our case, the site visit person seemed for trained in both the roof and electrical requirements for the installation. He checked the roof structure and the various penetrations, and also opened our breaker panels, checked the wiring, and did some electrical calculations. He spent several hours here.

During the actual install, there were separate crews for the roof and the electrical parts of the installation.

They were not on our SolarRoof install. In our case, the site visit person seemed for trained in both the roof and electrical requirements for the installation. He checked the roof structure and the various penetrations, and also opened our breaker panels, checked the wiring, and did some electrical calculations. He spent several hours here.

During the actual install, there were separate crews for the roof and the electrical parts of the installation.
Got it. I’m still early in the process but they are coming out this week for the site survey. I’m assuming he’ll be asking where the pw’s and other equipment will be installed?
My main panel and meter is in a crowded area with the garage entry door, ac compressors and water treatment systems on the outside and the air handlers and a small alcove on the inside which is the garage area. I thinks it’s going to take some considerable conduit runs to get from the main panel to some open space for all the new equipment.

Reactions: jboy210