Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered the new Bespoke51 taillights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started to give this, as well as what Greg will be making, some thought. All the lenses are red, so even the reverse lights will be red. I would bet that that would be illegal, but also not very bright when backing up... is that a concern.

So, the OEM setup is the inner (largest) lenses are the running and brake lights (red). The middle are the turn signals, (red), and the outer (smallest) are the reverse lights (white).

If I were to redo these from scratch, I'd probably keep the inner as the running/brake lights (have to be red), make the middle ones the reverse (these would have to be white with clear lenses, or really bright LED's with red lenses, and the outer would be amber lights with clear lenses.

Just thinking out loud...

GRP definitely has white backup lights - see here: GRP V3 Tail Lights for 01+ Elise/Exige & 02-04 Esprit

I actually like the way that the colors and lighting is done on the Bespoke51 set, however, I'm definitely replacing them with the new GRP ones when they are available. I really, really, don't like the wiring mess and the Mickey Mouse 3D printed parts of the Bespoke51s that I have. I did make a video of my car with one original light and one Bespoke51 so that the lighting arrangement can be compared - link below:

http://www.kathydesi.com/Roadster_tail_lights.mp4

It is hard to see since it's during the daytime. Also, there is a red reflector in the middle of the leftmost light on the Bespoke ones.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bunnak and GJVR
Hi
Although the lenses are dark, they are transparent and hardly influence the color of the lights underneath.

In my transforged version, which seems similar, the lighting is as follows:

ALL rings: outside red running/ red braking lights (brighter)

Outer left inside ring: red halo foglight through smoked lens (European requirement)

Outer right inside ring: bright reverse light (no led halo) through smoked lens

Middle inside rings: orange led halo turn signals through smoked lenses

Inner inside rings: red reflectors through smoked lenses.

IMO much better then OEM, safer and nicer.

if I could redo mine I would replace all six outside red running/braking halos with red/amber switchback halos and add sequencers. This means that if you activate the turn signal the relevant three red rings will change color to amber in a sequence, pointing even more clearly in the direction you’re going.

however, I have not found any such halos yet (only white/amber for the headlights).
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Reactions: drewski and AltPowr
Come to think of it, in the US I do not think amber turn signals are required. So you could do the sequencing with the existing red halos. Only sequencers required.

In Europe we need amber so have to wait for red/amber switchback halos.

Correct, amber is not required for turn signals, but they look cooler, so I want them. I remember back in the early 1980s I paid a fortune to swap out my Porsche 911 rear lenses (all red) for European ones (with amber signals). But it definitely looked different from the rest on the road.

Reactions: drewski
Correct, amber is not required for turn signals, but they look cooler, so I want them. I remember back in the early 1980s I paid a fortune to swap out my Porsche 911 rear lenses (all red) for European ones (with amber signals). But it definitely looked different from the rest on the road.

i did the same thing on my Audi S4, importing Euro tails to get the Amber turn signal.

GRP definitely has white backup lights - see here: GRP V3 Tail Lights for 01+ Elise/Exige & 02-04 Esprit

I actually like the way that the colors and lighting is done on the Bespoke51 set, however, I'm definitely replacing them with the new GRP ones when they are available. I really, really, don't like the wiring mess and the Mickey Mouse 3D printed parts of the Bespoke51s that I have. I did make a video of my car with one original light and one Bespoke51 so that the lighting arrangement can be compared - link below:

http://www.kathydesi.com/Roadster_tail_lights.mp4

It is hard to see since it's during the daytime. Also, there is a red reflector in the middle of the leftmost light on the Bespoke ones.
Hi AltPowr,

Thanks for the video... very helpful. I did not know the exact operation of those lights. I too think the sequential turn signals would look great.

I love the halo look, but like you, not impressed with the 3D printed look of the lenses.

Didn't know you were so close... I'm up in Santa Barbara. I didn't get in on the first batch of the GRP group buy, but might be interested in your Bespoke ones if you decide to sell.

Let's get together some time.

Henry

Oh hey, yeah you are very close. Before all of this Covid stuff we used to drive up that way a few times each summer. There is a car show I take my 1932 Roadster to in Pismo Beach each year as well, but that is quite a bit farther. Yes, we'll have to meet up one day - but will take my 2010 Roadster of course. Not sure how long it will be before we see some GRP lights - but hopefully soon.

Desi

View attachment 549646 View attachment 549647 View attachment 549648 View attachment 549649 View attachment 549650

I stick to my current taillights for now.

I have opened the two outer smallest units and noticed that there was water damage.

Interesting that my small outer ones also failed. I ordered replacements just like you did. Thanks for the tip.

I received the 2 50mm red halo leds from AliExpress today. Only EUR 7!

Disconnected the broken halos and connected the new.

Sealed the units as thoroughly as possible with glue. I will also apply sealant afterwards, on the outside of the rings as well as inside the rings where the tinted glass is.

Everything works again.

View attachment 549645
1DE8BA7C-9392-40DB-9B3C-5AA448731AC7.jpeg
CDA3907B-401B-4060-BD99-3BD057C6003B.jpeg
1DE8BA7C-9392-40DB-9B3C-5AA448731AC7.jpeg
CDA3907B-401B-4060-BD99-3BD057C6003B.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Gremlin