Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered the new Bespoke51 taillights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FA144794-B13D-4F1B-AFC6-C4CF8625DA9C.jpeg
E010AD03-4B88-4B87-AC5A-89A82C7E6545.jpeg
Aha thanks both.
E010AD03-4B88-4B87-AC5A-89A82C7E6545.jpeg

almost done! thank you @hcsharp for the carbon fiber enclosure and Mick at Transforged for the lens! And Peter at Gruber Motor Company for the installation!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bunnak
How are your leds holding up?

The leds in my two outer rings died one by one over the last months. I contacted transformed who promised replacements.

So far no news from them after 3 months. One outer ring is completely dark and the other half dark.
The four inner rings are still perfect.

Transforged’s website is down and my emails bounce.

Does anyone know which leds to use when I open up the rings? Can I replace those myself?

@Bunnak

The leds in my two outer rings died one by one over the last months. I contacted transformed who promised replacements.

So far no news from them after 3 months. One outer ring is completely dark and the other half dark.

Does anyone know which leds to use when I open up the rings? Can I replace those myself?

geez. that sucks; Maybe a pin was pulled or came loose from the board off the leds? Have you opened them up? The leds lights should run for over 60,000 hours; seems like if one led went right after one another in a short time seems like a pulled wire or pin not giving power to the two halos.

Last edited:
@Bunnak

My car still still at Gruber's getting some stuff done so it hasn't been driven much if at all. I'll update everyone once I get my car back.

@Bunnak

Well this isn’t good to hear. Mine have been working fine, however I swapped them back out for the stock ones when the car was used recently for filming an episode of Jay Leno’s Garage, so I have not put these back on yet.

As mentioned before the LEDs should last almost forever, so if not wiring I would be worried about the circuits.

@AltPowr do you have old pics of your car when you had them on? it was your car that i saw at the roadster roundup last year that convinced me to buy and get them installed...i knew i would be taking a risk too as there were many complaints already.

Hey, how are you doing? Yeah, you saw them at the Roadster Roundup at Tesla Hawthorne. You parked next to me at both locations. Here are a few pics.

IMG_1782_sm.jpg

IMG_1764_sm.jpg

_DSC0080_sm.jpg

Cool! What episode, when will / was it broadcast?

Well, I hope I don't embarrass myself. I was nervous as hell, so may have answered some questions incorrectly because I didn't want a pause in filming and they didn't prepare me for the questions they asked, but I'm sure they will cut down the segment from the 30-45 minute interview we filmed. But Jay and Donald took my car out for a drive - I have no idea what they talked about - I guess we'll see in the episode. The episode will air on July 8th on CNBC.

geez. that sucks; Maybe a pin was pulled or came loose from the board off the leds? Have you opened them up? The leds lights should run for over 60,000 hours; seems like if one led went right after one another in a short time seems like a pulled wire or pin not giving power to the two halos.
Thanks Jason

They went one by one. Therefore I think that they got too much power? Given the other halos kept well and were lit the same amount of time. This would mean they are different from the other halos.

The wiring is good. I tested by connecting the other halos to these wires.

I opened up one of the smallest defective halos. See pictures.

I guess I have to find replacements. Anyone has a tip or knows how to reach Transforged/ Mick Harzhall the designer?

EE527F0D-A325-4AED-8D3C-2DDE85F71676.jpeg E87DC223-9A52-4614-AA3C-B4F4165C32AB.jpeg E430CF4E-121C-437B-94E9-8AE18E0282C9.jpeg C4DCBF26-0BC1-4C04-A633-B8E14F182D8C.jpeg

Thanks Jason

They went one by one. Therefore I think that they got too much power? Given the other halos kept well and were lit the same amount of time. This would mean they are different from the other halos.

I guess I have to find replacements. Anyone has a tip or knows how to reach Transforged/ Mick Harzhall the designer?

View attachment 544640 View attachment 544641 View attachment 544642 View attachment 544643
Visit Transforged Racing on Facebook; try calling the phone number provided and there's an email listed as well. You could also send him a message on Facebook. Mick was very responsive to me. I think it was bad luck with version 1; was yours the second batch/version 2? Maybe even reach out to Pete Gruber. He might have some contacts that can fix the LEDs.

• Informative
Reactions: GJVR
Thanks Jason

View attachment 544640 View attachment 544641 View attachment 544642 View attachment 544643

Ok so this is what happened; you are right your led had to much power being drawn to them, I don't think the creator of these lights had intentions of this happening but also didn't realize a ballast would be required. If he did this for a living his page would still be up and he would still be servicing headlights; this is why it did not come with any baluster.

the ballast provides the voltage needed to start the lamp and regulates the electrical current of the light once it is lit. Without a ballast, the lamp would draw too much power, causing it to burn out quickly - sometimes even within a few minutes. The ballast prevents this from happening and ensures you get the benefits of the lamp's full lifetime.

I spoke to my headlight guy about this couple weeks back if the baluster was needed for the rears and he said most likely yes; this is the reasoning for it.

As far as the halo and or ring; shoot a email to [email protected] he might be able to send you a new led board since he will understand the procedure and possibly help you with balusters with a new halo board to send back.

So for the time being while you get them fixed you can put your oem ones back in so you have a car.

I am planning to work with my headlight guy on retaining the OEM look of the Tesla Roadster tail lights leaving them how they are but changing the board inside with these effects / mod - Tail Light The supra on the left but with a quicker sequence so does not seem illegal. This way when you use the turn signal all 3 lights will flash amber one by one in a sequence like my headlights making it much safer and noticeable for other drivers as well.

Also from further inspecting it could be water damage as the lens was not properly sealed to the led board. Seems like water can slip right in the cracks how these lights are assembled.

Imagine these in your front or rear diffuser - Diffuser lights

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GJVR
Thanks Jason.

I have thought about this not being an electrician:)
The are some parts in between the halos and the OEM wiring (balusters?)

The red halos are always on (so 6 of them), if you brake all 6 shine brighter.
Only the 2 smallest halos broke down.

Therefor I think:

It is not a baluster thing, otherwise all 6 halos would burn out.

Two theories still stand:

1. the small halos are different from the bigger ones ( see picture, the leds are fully integrates in the board, I did not open the bigger halos yet)
These boards with integrated leds may overheat more easily.

2. it is water damage as you stated. I do not know how to check this.

If I lived in the US I would have send both my tail and headlights to your headlight guy in a heartbeat but I don’t. I will have to fix this myself or locally.

I found the red 50mm halos on aliexpress and ordered them. I will seal the housing very thoroughly and hope overheating was not the cause.

For the headlights I found the halos but keep looking for the greyed our charcoal diffusers or covers. I will send an email to your headlight guy if he could send me a set or told me where to get those.

Thanks again. I will keep you posted.