Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Ordered - What do you wish you'd known?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order for a Model 3 SR+ on Jan 8th. I ordered it with black on black and FSD. In just a couple of days of research I've come up with a list of "must haves" that I will have purchased and ready add to my car when I get it. They are:

1. Floor Mats
Note: Debating on LaserTech vs. Tesla OEM
2. Wireless phone charger mat
3. Wind noise reduction kit
4. Homelink
Note: Still debating this one
5. Solid State drive for TeslaCam

What else do I need? What are your thoughts on this list so far? Is there anything looking back that you would (or wouldn't) add on day one?

I don’t find I have an issue with wind noise. Don’t believe there’s a reason to buy something before you know you have a problem. Money would be better spent IMO towards PPF and/or ceramic to preserve the cars exterior.

Are you able to charge at home? One of the best things about going BEV if you can. If so, there will be that cost and you’ll need to make a decision on HPW/EVSE or NEMA 14-50 for example. Equipment and installation of a new breaker and/or panel can get expensive depending on your home’s current electrical circuit and wiring. Best to get a few quotes in advance so you know that going forward and can plan. A NEMA 14-50 BTW will give you the flexibility of a 240 outlet should you need to run some power equipment or own an RV or such so their are pluses to each choice to weigh.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZjohnInCA
I don’t find I have an issue with wind noise. Don’t believe there’s a reason to buy something before you know you have a problem. Money would be better spent IMO towards PPF and/or ceramic to preserve the cars exterior.

Are you able to charge at home? One of the best things about going BEV if you can. If so, there will be that cost and you’ll need to make a decision on HPW/EVSE or NEMA 14-50 for example. Equipment and installation of a new breaker and/or panel can get expensive depending on your home’s current electrical circuit and wiring. Best to get a few quotes in advance so you know that going forward and can plan. A NEMA 14-50 BTW will give you the flexibility of a 240 outlet should you need to run some power equipment or own an RV or such so their are pluses to each choice to weigh.
And to add that you will not be able to charge more than 32 amps for the M3 at home. This was the reason I just went with the 14-50 outlet and adapter for the portable charger that came with the car (adapter $35 vs. $500 wall charger)

Plus 1 for the Maxpider 3D mats.
Center console organizer.
Something else to consider (depending one where you get it serviced) would be jack pucks. Rather provide them to a shop to use and not have the rocker panels damaged.

I just ordered a AWD long range this morning. so hers is my list.

-Jeda USB hub. actually already ordered this this morning as well..
-Acceleration Boost. wasn't able to order it with the car. so when I get it ill be ordering it.
-1tb m.2 solid state external hdd. for sentry and music . also I am a developer so when there is a sdk will make a app to play movies from the hdd
-BESENERGY EV Charging Station 40 Amp Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charger
-dash mat for front and back
-roof/window shades for when parked at work
-door seal and sound reduction kit. even if its a small reduction still worth it.
-jeda wireless phone charger
-touch screen temper glass protector
-vinyl sticker to cover up the 1920's wood panel junk
-lifting jack pads
-carbon fiber wing
that's pretty much it.

1. Floor Mats - HEA Floor mat is good.
2. Wireless phone charger mat - Wireless charging is overrated. I prefer wired.
3. Wind noise reduction kit - Worth it.
4. Homelink - No comment.
5. Solid State drive for TeslaCam - Samsung PRO Endurance micro sd cards is good enough. Make sure to buy the Endurance version.

In addition:
6. Get quote for tinting if you live in hot weather area.
7. Ceramic coating is great.
8. Upgrade interior LED lights. Looks so much better.
9. Console wrap kit is great. (EV Wrap from Etsy)
10. Buy Wall Connector if your electric panel is capable to charge at higher amp. Otherwise, get the nema 14-50 adaptor while it's still in stock and install the 240v nema 14-50 outlet (32A) at home.

I don’t find I have an issue with wind noise. Don’t believe there’s a reason to buy something before you know you have a problem.

Totally agree with that. To build on the lists so far:

• Floor Mats - I do like the Maxpider 3D mats I got. They look great, IMHO, and function really well.
  • Wireless charging - Several good options; I selected the TapTes one.
  • Homelink - For the convenience. Have ordered, haven't installed yet.
  • Agree on storage for TeslaCam/Sentry Mode. Picked up a Samsung MUF-256AB/AM FIT Plus 256GB to hold me over for now; popped it in when I took delivery before driving off the lot.
  • Being in Minnesota, also ordered winter tires + another set of wheels from Discount Tire. That, however, may not be a big concerrn for you. :)
  • LED lights - did the trunk ones so far; they do make a significant amount of difference. It's not that the OEM lights aren't bright, but that trunk is just a black hole that sucks out all the light.
Also agree on sorting out the charging situation before hand if possible. Having a hassle-free charging experience at home is a huge plus to the enjoyment of the car.

And to add that you will not be able to charge more than 32 amps for the M3 at home.

That's true for the SR+, but note that the LR can handle up to 48A (using a HPWC).

I placed an order for a Model 3 SR+ on Jan 8th. I ordered it with black on black and FSD. In just a couple of days of research I've come up with a list of "must haves" that I will have purchased and ready add to my car when I get it. They are:

1. Floor Mats
2. Wireless phone charger mat
3. Wind noise reduction kit
4. Homelink
5. Solid State drive for TeslaCam

What else do I need? What are your thoughts on this list so far? Is there anything looking back that you would (or wouldn't) add on day one?

You might look at the JEDA USB Hub .. fits perfectly under the phone charger bay and provides USB-A/USB-C outlets as well as a compartment for the TeslaCam drive (big enough for the Samsung T5 etc SSDs).

And a tray for the central storage bin, which is otherwise just a huge black hole. I got this one, which fits well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P6DMBWB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the phone charger mat, I got the one from Nomad, which isnt the cheapest but they build quality products and I dont want to dump my $1000+ iPhone on anything that could damage it.

Just adding to other suggestions and making a few comments...

If you live a place like with weather like Southern California, I'd suggest that you can skip out on the more expensive super high quality floor mats like 3DMaxpider and go for some 1/3 to 1/2 of the price. I went with these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MJX3PTZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details Mind you, I also have no kids and do allow sticky beverages in my car.

As for accessories, a center console tray is crucial:. I went with this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M9TW43M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's very nice when you get matching cupholder set.

I also found that puddle lights with the Tesla logo (or model logo) were a great luxury accessory that I wouldn't want to go without.

The Novak USB splitter was created by a user of this TMC forum, and I find it essential for getting faster USB charging speed. One side is also conveniently dedicated to data as well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z2KQ719/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lots of folks like the Jeda wireless pad. I think it's a likely a good product based on all of the reviews. I went with this money-saving option...works just fine... also highly-rated at less than half cost:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q9L6DJN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have no found a hub to be necessary, but it could be nice to help hide the wires. It depends on how much stuff you're plugging in as well. I wouldn't spend 100 just to hide wires that are usually hidden anyway by the center console. But, if it helps you organize a bunch of different wires for a bunch of different devices, then it may be worth it.

Center console wrap and PPF are good areas to spend any extra cash lying around.

Finally, don't go cheap on the screen protector. 9H tempered glass is the best way to go... check Abstract Ocean. I got the 5H, which is really good (And cheaper), but I probably should've done the tempered glass and probably will eventually.

bonus: tinted windows for sunny/hot climates, a magnetic phone mount (useful to keep your hands from holding a device and potentially getting a traffic ticket), brighter trunk lights

Does anyone know if you can replace those weak standard dome lights??

I placed my order on Jan. 8 as well. On the same day I ordered the wall connector and the wireless phone mat (from Tesla). I also ordered the low profile lifting pads from Reverse Logic.

I plan on tinting the whole thing but I'm waiting before buying anything else. I owned two BMWs before this and never felt the need to buy floor mats, so I'll wait and see for that. As for the screen, I'll buy something if the glare is a problem but I'm not worried about breaking it.

I just chuckle at the screen protector talk. The screen never moves and can never be dropped. Some people buy things just for the sake of buying. :)

Sure, but it's easy enough to move something ELSE into the screen. Even a wayward coffee mug can chip the glass if hit just the right way.

You're talking to the <SWEARWORD> who put a 2x6 through his wife's windshield... from the inside. Shut the rear liftgate and pushed the 2x6 through the glass. Oops.

For $16, I like the peace of mind.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GKGDC5M

Very good suggestions and insight. I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. I'm in South Texas (San Antonio area) and plan on getting the car tinted fairly quick after delivery because the July/Aug/Sep sun here can be brutal. So that brings me to sun shades. Does anyone here use them? If so, which one do you use.

I never read of anyone changing out the below headlight running lights. I seen a model 3 in Houston back in the Summer that had an aftermarket running blinker light kit. It really looked great. Wish I took a picture. It was as if the blinker was on the outside and the running light appeared to be more in the inside, very bright. Looked so nice you wanted to keep staring.