Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just purchased a 2015 CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Thank you very much.

I picked up a CPO 2014 P85D on Tuesday. Paid $51k for a car with 50k miles but it had the options I wanted. I put my deposit down literally the day before Elon announced the price cut and now equivalent vehicles are at least 2k less... FML.

Ya, that sucks, but losing 2k on a sale isn't FML. Imagine if you had just take delivery of a P100DL. Eek

A thing has to be worth more than its price to you at the time of its purchase. If it's not, there's no reason to buy it.

If the price goes down or up after you've bought, that doesn't change the value it had to you at the time of purchase. You still have a car that's worth whatever it's worth to you -- presumably what you paid for it, or more.

These certainly aren't investments expected to appreciate. You're not buying one of these cars to earn money. You're buying it to enjoy the pleasures of transportation and travel. The car itself still has the value you give it.

I refused the car since the leather looked really bad with stains on it. Pictures didn’t show these and also had scratches on car. I just got a 2016 for $39300 with black interior this time. From pictures it looks good, but other one did as well so not having high hopes. We’ll see!

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I refused the car since the leather looked really bad with stains on it. Pictures didn’t show these and also had scratches on car. I just got a 2016 for $39300 with black interior this time. From pictures it looks good, but other one did as well so not having high hopes. We’ll see!
best photos come when the car gets processed through a Manheim facility....you get a condition report and it is very detailed....otherwise you get dropbox photos, and yea, they don't show everything....
good luck man! hope you find a keeper...

Yeah both of these were at an adesa facility with Dropbox photos ...hopefully this ones a keeper.

On a side note, this one doesn’t have premium package. Does it mean the bulbs show yellow or the nice white like the newer ones ?

after 4/15 tech option became standard...

Well...not exactly. The options that were in the tech package got split up. Some of them (navigation, Homelink) became standard. There were some that became a part of the premium package (power liftgate?). Autopilot was initially bundled with the tech package, but it became its own option.

I believe the majority of cars configured before 4/15 had the tech package option because most buyers configured their cars that way (when I ordered mine, I thought the tech package was a "no brainer"). I remember reading a posting somewhere that non-tech package cars had a special sign on them as they went down the production line because they were somewhat unusual cases.

Note also that the relevant date was the configure date, not the build date. My car was configured in 3/15 when the tech package was still applicable, but it was built in 4/15 (and due to scheduling constraints on my end, I didn't take delivery until 5/15).

Sorry for late reply, just read this thread and felt the need to spout Model S trivia from four years ago! :D

Bruce.

• Disagree
Reactions: NoirMS
First-time poster and soon-to-be-in-the-market-for-a-2015-MS here. Bruce, you mention the config and build dates. I´m looking at the features chronology in Model S - Options by Year, so I can map feature sets to dates. But how do I determine the config/build date? Is there a tool that maps VINS to these dates? If not, how can I know for sure what's in the CPO unit I'm considering?

First-time poster and soon-to-be-in-the-market-for-a-2015-MS here. Bruce, you mention the config and build dates. I´m looking at the features chronology in Model S - Options by Year, so I can map feature sets to dates. But how do I determine the config/build date? Is there a tool that maps VINS to these dates? If not, how can I know for sure what's in the CPO unit I'm considering?

From what I’ve gathered, these are prob the more important dates.

3/16 is when integrated console was introduced
4/16 is when front fascia was changed
11/16-12/16 is when AP2 was introduced.

I got mine 2/16 build so missed it all lol. Hoping this is the car I keep. I ordered the UP front fascia already to have it ready on time, and the taptes console.

Also to note, I noticed the side black skirts werent pushed all the way in. Seems like the tabs are broken. I emailed the advisor and said they will take care of them as well. Also noticed a nema 14-50 was missing and the front floor mats were third party plastic. They said they will mail me both the adapter and a brand new set of floor mats. So far the experience has been great with Tesla!

Reactions: SMAlset
Well...not exactly. The options that were in the tech package got split up. Some of them (navigation, Homelink) became standard. There were some that became a part of the premium package (power liftgate?). Autopilot was initially bundled with the tech package, but it became its own option.

I believe the majority of cars configured before 4/15 had the tech package option because most buyers configured their cars that way (when I ordered mine, I thought the tech package was a "no brainer"). I remember reading a posting somewhere that non-tech package cars had a special sign on them as they went down the production line because they were somewhat unusual cases.

Note also that the relevant date was the configure date, not the build date. My car was configured in 3/15 when the tech package was still applicable, but it was built in 4/15 (and due to scheduling constraints on my end, I didn't take delivery until 5/15).

Sorry for late reply, just read this thread and felt the need to spout Model S trivia from four years ago! :D

Bruce.

My VIN is just a few digits higher than yours! Also built on 4/15. I am buying it as a CPO, just placed the deposit last week. I was surprised I was able to find an S85D with just 12,004 miles. One owner. I hope the car is in good shape, the quality of the photos is not that good. It also has the Tech Package. The options I wanted were Sub Zero package and Ultra High Fidelity Sound. The Smart Air Suspension was not a critical option for me and this one does not have it. So looking forward to the day I take delivery! First time Tesla owner.

My VIN is just a few digits higher than yours! Also built on 4/15. I am buying it as a CPO, just placed the deposit last week. I was surprised I was able to find an S85D with just 12,004 miles. One owner. I hope the car is in good shape, the quality of the photos is not that good. It also has the Tech Package. The options I wanted were Sub Zero package and Ultra High Fidelity Sound. The Smart Air Suspension was not a critical option for me and this one does not have it. So looking forward to the day I take delivery! First time Tesla owner.

That's great, congratulations on finding the car, and I hope it's in good condition! Did they say when you'll get it? Keep us posted.

Bruce.

That's great, congratulations on finding the car, and I hope it's in good condition! Did they say when you'll get it? Keep us posted.

Bruce.

I just got the call from the sales advisor today. He is putting together the purchase order, hope to have it tomorrow. Will let you know when they schedule delivery. Have to go to San Diego to get it and drive it back home to Dallas.

Reactions: bmah

Oops, I'm sorry I missed this. I only know two ways to determine the build date...neither one is easy to do without physical access to the car. One is the sticker on the drivers side door jamb, and the other is to look it up from one of the service mode screens (usually accessible only to Tesla personnel and authorized body shops). I have no idea how to get the configure date...it's basically when the car was ordered. The delivery date is of course sometime after the build date...it can be a few days for a factory delivery or weeks away if the car had to be shipped to the first owner.

In many cases you can probably figure out what you need to know just by the wording of the options (i.e. "Tech Package with Autopilot" vs. "Autopilot Convenience Features"). The color of the car can tell you something because in 2015 Tesla shuffled around the paint colors quite a lot. The more significant options (Smart Air Suspension, Rear-Facing Seats, wheel sizes, and Ultra-High Fidelity Sound) weren't bundled, from what I remember.

You might be able to figure out something from the old Model S delivery tracking sheet, which is linked from the first post in this thread:

Model S Delivery Update
Old Model S Tracker

Are there particular "must have" options for you?

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

I was looking for a vechile that was under 20K miles, metallic blue, ultra High Fidelity Sound package, Sub Zero package, 19" wheels, and the Tech Package. The one I found meets all these. I did not care on the roof, this one has a panoramic roof. Guess will have to buy the sun shades for it. Otherwise, it sounds perfect. The photos look good,, the deposit is in, the car is off the website, and I am just waiting on the sales advisor which seems to be extremely overworked, as he is one difficult guy to get a hold off. He was supposed to work on my purchase order yesterday afternoon. Still waiting. Interestingly, got a call from him a few minutes ago and as I tried to answer the call, it dropped. Tried to return the call 24 times, they all went straight to voicemail. And of course, his voice mailbox is full!

Trying to follow everyones advice and somehow getting "patience". Sad that their sales team has such poor performance. Here is one of the photos. First thing when I arrive back in Dallas, is getting those windows tinted!
Untitled.jpg

Reactions: SMAlset and bmah
Hi Bruce,

I was looking for a vechile that was under 20K miles, metallic blue, ultra High Fidelity Sound package, Sub Zero package, 19" wheels, and the Tech Package. The one I found meets all these. I did not care on the roof, this one has a panoramic roof. Guess will have to buy the sun shades for it. Otherwise, it sounds perfect. The photos look good,, the deposit is in, the car is off the website, and I am just waiting on the sales advisor which seems to be extremely overworked, as he is one difficult guy to get a hold off. He was supposed to work on my purchase order yesterday afternoon. Still waiting. Interestingly, got a call from him a few minutes ago and as I tried to answer the call, it dropped. Tried to return the call 24 times, they all went straight to voicemail. And of course, his voice mailbox is full!

Trying to follow everyones advice and somehow getting "patience". Sad that their sales team has such poor performance. Here is one of the photos. First thing when I arrive back in Dallas, is getting those windows tinted!
View attachment 390650

Update 3/27: Today I got an email from an Internal Delivery Adivsor. They have requested the car be moved from a warehouse (no idea where that is) to the San Diego Delivery Center.

Later I spoke with the advisor on the phone. Very nice and seems he is the one to start things rolling. Hoping to have the MVPA tomorrow. If picking your car out of state, and you have a trade in, the trade has to be done the same day as the delivery! Difficult to take the trade in to Dallas , fly to San Diego and pick up the car all on the same day.

I asked to see if Tesla will allow taking the trade in Dallas the day before delivery, then I can fly to San Diego the next morning and pick up the car. Once that is settled, we will know how to write the MVPA (trade or no trade). Tesla agreed to accept the CarMax trade offer, so it would be great if they let me turn the car in the day before, a little savings on the sales tax. Otherwise, it will go to CarMax and I will fly to San Diego.