Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just test drove a Performance 3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i just finished my test drive with the Performance version - and in a word: wow, acceleration was impressive!

I had rented the RWD 3 a few months ago and as some of you might recall, I was a little underwhelmed with the acceleration. I decided to hold off until AWD/P specs were out and I'm glad I did.

Even with 3 adults in the car, mashing the pedal at a stoplight felt like we were about to take flight. The 0-60 peer was noticeably better than the RWD. Like lightyears difference. The passing speed 60-80 felt about the same as the RWD though. Did not notice any front motor whine with AC and radio off (a test my passengers did not appreciate given it was 96 degrees outside!).

The white interior was also more impressive than the standard black although I think I prefer the wooden dash trim to the cheap feeling white plastic. Also, the glass roof was very hot to the touch. I definitely think it will need a UV IR film.

Overall, the Performance version was impressive. Now I'm facing another quandary: keep my AWD order or pay $16K to upgrade to P (with the must have wheels package).

Everyone has their own opinion, but I don't think the performance/wheels package is necessary at all. Those wheels are going to be heavy for what they cost, reducing performance, the brakes aren't necessary outside of a track, and the pedals and spoiler are wildly overpriced compared to the aftermarket.

I'm getting the 18 aeros and will put the Pilot Sport 4s on those and probably end up with better performance than the 20s with the same tires. You could always do an aftermarket big brake kit if you track the car.

Obviously it's your money, but I think the performance package upgrade is far from mandatory, and not a particularly good value on this vehicle.

Everyone has their own opinion, but I don't think the performance/wheels package is necessary at all. Those wheels are going to be heavy for what they cost, reducing performance, the brakes aren't necessary outside of a track, and the pedals and spoiler are wildly overpriced compared to the aftermarket.

I'm getting the 18 aeros and will put the Pilot Sport 4s on those and probably end up with better performance than the 20s with the same tires. You could always do an aftermarket big brake kit if you track the car.

Obviously it's your money, but I think the performance package upgrade is far from mandatory, and not a particularly good value on this vehicle.

For me, the perf package was more of an aesthetics choice.

Yeah I will say it's fun to use on the freeway onramps and at select surface street stoplights.
About it, my current car does 0-60 in 4.4, I think its pretty useless, its barely 1-2 seconds before jail speeds. Traffic light GP, its the first 2 seconds after the light turns is where 80% of T bone accidents occur. This one is next level at 3.5s. Unless you plan to track it (and pay for resulting breakages and insurance voiding) for a 25% price hike its not worth it.

Also here in Kangarooland there is a charge of "excessive acceleration" if a cop spots you off the light. If there is someone next to you they can charge you with "street racing", this is a serious charge here as well as in the US.

Fast cars are fun until the loser turns on their lights...

• Helpful
Reactions: nigwil and P85_DA
I am sticking with the performance AWD but only 18" wheels - but I wish our Minneapolis center would have the car for test drives before I make a final decision. I am concerned that with the stiffer suspension on the performance 3 and with the thin rubber on 20", it may get to much of a harsh ride.

I just received the RWD 3 a few days ago and the acceleration is incredible. There is no way you can't be impressed with a P3D unless you already own and drive a Model S P100DL. The other reason possibly being that you don't think the price is worth the extra speed. That's a personal choice.
Not sure if you're referencing my post or one of the others but I was very impressed with P3D acceleration. It was the RWD one that left me wanting - I already own and drive electric so I'm not wow'd by the silent acceleration. The P3D however def felt 3.5s quick. The RWD felt closer to 5.5/6s territory. Now in fairness I drove the RWD on 18s and the P3D with the stickier 20s. That could have made some difference.

Reactions: Grendal
Also here in Kangarooland there is a charge of "excessive acceleration" if a cop spots you off the light. If there is someone next to you they can charge you with "street racing", this is a serious charge here as well as in the US.

How can this policy be consistently applied when it becomes easier and more effortless to accelerate quickly? I suppose you could have been charged with "street racing" in the 80s for accelerating at half the rate of a Tesla. Who determines how quick acceleration needs to be before it is illegal?

Not sure if you're referencing my post or one of the others but I was very impressed with P3D acceleration. It was the RWD one that left me wanting - I already own and drive electric so I'm not wow'd by the silent acceleration. The P3D however def felt 3.5s quick. The RWD felt closer to 5.5/6s territory. Now in fairness I drove the RWD on 18s and the P3D with the stickier 20s. That could have made some difference.

I was not. I was referencing OCP85+. OCP85+ was underwhelmed by the acceleration which strikes me as nutty.

How can this policy be consistently applied when it becomes easier and more effortless to accelerate quickly? I suppose you could have been charged with "street racing" in the 80s for accelerating at half the rate of a Tesla. Who determines how quick acceleration needs to be before it is illegal?
It cant, thats the problem its totally subjective. I know people that have taken it to court and lost, court takes the word of the officer and the one that is charged has no evidence against, so the charge stands. From what I can see if your car looks it belongs in the Fast and Furious films then you will be noticed.

I seriously doubt a Tesla would get booked for this but depends if there is a undercover car near you. I've seen three cars that tried to race me at the lights (in a well known targeted street racing area) get pulled over right away, two I didn't even see where the police came from, the other was a undercover tailing me. I made my car stealth but if the car next to you is a clown car, you will get noticed.

I drove the P3D today too. I ordered one fully loaded last weekend and expected this drive to be simple confirmatory diligence. Unfortunately, everything but the performance was very underwhelming. It felt like a go-kart - and that’s the good and bad news. Not sure what I’ll do from here.
you know people pay a lot of money for a car that handles like a go kart. "Handles like a go kart" is a high compliment in the automotive world.

Reactions: hoang51
About it, my current car does 0-60 in 4.4, I think its pretty useless, its barely 1-2 seconds before jail speeds. Traffic light GP, its the first 2 seconds after the light turns is where 80% of T bone accidents occur. This one is next level at 3.5s. Unless you plan to track it (and pay for resulting breakages and insurance voiding) for a 25% price hike its not worth it.

Bla get a good radar detector and speed where cops can hide and where you can do it safely and not hurt anyone.

• Informative
Reactions: elliott82