TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Just test drove a Performance 3D

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SoCalGuy, Jul 29, 2018.

1. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

So i just finished my test drive with the Performance version - and in a word: wow, acceleration was impressive!

I had rented the RWD 3 a few months ago and as some of you might recall, I was a little underwhelmed with the acceleration. I decided to hold off until AWD/P specs were out and I'm glad I did.

Even with 3 adults in the car, mashing the pedal at a stoplight felt like we were about to take flight. The 0-60 peer was noticeably better than the RWD. Like lightyears difference. The passing speed 60-80 felt about the same as the RWD though. Did not notice any front motor whine with AC and radio off (a test my passengers did not appreciate given it was 96 degrees outside!).

The white interior was also more impressive than the standard black although I think I prefer the wooden dash trim to the cheap feeling white plastic. Also, the glass roof was very hot to the touch. I definitely think it will need a UV IR film.

Overall, the Performance version was impressive. Now I'm facing another quandary: keep my AWD order or pay $16K to upgrade to P (with the must have wheels package).

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  2. ba2002

ba2002 Member

Everyone has their own opinion, but I don't think the performance/wheels package is necessary at all. Those wheels are going to be heavy for what they cost, reducing performance, the brakes aren't necessary outside of a track, and the pedals and spoiler are wildly overpriced compared to the aftermarket.

I'm getting the 18 aeros and will put the Pilot Sport 4s on those and probably end up with better performance than the 20s with the same tires. You could always do an aftermarket big brake kit if you track the car.

Obviously it's your money, but I think the performance package upgrade is far from mandatory, and not a particularly good value on this vehicle.

• Like x 7
    • Helpful x 1
  3. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

For me, the perf package was more of an aesthetics choice.

• Like x 3
  4. ba2002

ba2002 Member

Yeah if it is what you like, totally valid reason. I will miss the red brake calipers.

5. Asymmetry

Asymmetry Member

Problem is with all fast cars, cant use it legally unless you take it to the track.

For the price over RWD its poor value, not sure there but here its 25% more.

• Informative x 1
  6. 1.21GW

1.21GW Member

I’m waiting for my AWD. Dreading driving the P. I don’t think I can resist the extra $16K upgrade if it as good as everyone says

• Like x 3
  7. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

Yeah I will say it's fun to use on the freeway onramps and at select surface street stoplights.

• Love x 1
  8. Asymmetry

Asymmetry Member

About it, my current car does 0-60 in 4.4, I think its pretty useless, its barely 1-2 seconds before jail speeds. Traffic light GP, its the first 2 seconds after the light turns is where 80% of T bone accidents occur. This one is next level at 3.5s. Unless you plan to track it (and pay for resulting breakages and insurance voiding) for a 25% price hike its not worth it.

Also here in Kangarooland there is a charge of "excessive acceleration" if a cop spots you off the light. If there is someone next to you they can charge you with "street racing", this is a serious charge here as well as in the US.

Fast cars are fun until the loser turns on their lights...

• Helpful x 2
  9. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Read the post above.

Only thing I remember is that Fast cars are fun...

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 4
  10. OCP85+

OCP85+ Member

I drove the P3D today too. I ordered one fully loaded last weekend and expected this drive to be simple confirmatory diligence. Unfortunately, everything but the performance was very underwhelming. It felt like a go-kart - and that’s the good and bad news. Not sure what I’ll do from here.

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. Skione65

Skione65 Member

@OCP85+,

Can you expound? What didn’t you like?

Ski

12. svp6

svp6 Member

I am sticking with the performance AWD but only 18" wheels - but I wish our Minneapolis center would have the car for test drives before I make a final decision. I am concerned that with the stiffer suspension on the performance 3 and with the thin rubber on 20", it may get to much of a harsh ride.

13. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

I just received the RWD 3 a few days ago and the acceleration is incredible. There is no way you can't be impressed with a P3D unless you already own and drive a Model S P100DL. The other reason possibly being that you don't think the price is worth the extra speed. That's a personal choice.

• Like x 2
  14. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

Not sure if you're referencing my post or one of the others but I was very impressed with P3D acceleration. It was the RWD one that left me wanting - I already own and drive electric so I'm not wow'd by the silent acceleration. The P3D however def felt 3.5s quick. The RWD felt closer to 5.5/6s territory. Now in fairness I drove the RWD on 18s and the P3D with the stickier 20s. That could have made some difference.

• Like x 1
  15. sreams

sreams Member

How can this policy be consistently applied when it becomes easier and more effortless to accelerate quickly? I suppose you could have been charged with "street racing" in the 80s for accelerating at half the rate of a Tesla. Who determines how quick acceleration needs to be before it is illegal?

16. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

I was not. I was referencing OCP85+. OCP85+ was underwhelmed by the acceleration which strikes me as nutty.

17. Asymmetry

Asymmetry Member

It cant, thats the problem its totally subjective. I know people that have taken it to court and lost, court takes the word of the officer and the one that is charged has no evidence against, so the charge stands. From what I can see if your car looks it belongs in the Fast and Furious films then you will be noticed.

I seriously doubt a Tesla would get booked for this but depends if there is a undercover car near you. I've seen three cars that tried to race me at the lights (in a well known targeted street racing area) get pulled over right away, two I didn't even see where the police came from, the other was a undercover tailing me. I made my car stealth but if the car next to you is a clown car, you will get noticed.

you know people pay a lot of money for a car that handles like a go kart. "Handles like a go kart" is a high compliment in the automotive world.

• Like x 1
  18. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

I guess coming from his P85+ the delta in acceleration is not much ..I believe the P85+ was 4 flat ...those .5 tenths of a second to someone coming from a P S probably is where this opinion is coming from ..my guess:eek:

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  19. juanmedina

juanmedina Member

Bla get a good radar detector and speed where cops can hide and where you can do it safely and not hurt anyone.

• Informative x 1
  20. Asymmetry

Asymmetry Member

Huge charge for radar detectors here. Only place that is safe to speed is the racetrack. Like I said unless you track the car, its a waste.