Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just took delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep trying to decide if taking advantage of my vacation policy at work would make the wait seem longer or shorter…
I have this fantasy that because the CA delivery centers are clogged up they’ll start moving deliveries further east to keep up and I’ll get my car sooner because no current owners in CO will take RWD because really, who does RWD in CO?

Meanwhile I just keep making lease extension payments on my LEAF, waiting patiently, not.

I have this fantasy that because the CA delivery centers are clogged up they’ll start moving deliveries further east to keep up and I’ll get my car sooner because no current owners in CO will take RWD because really, who does RWD in CO?

Meanwhile I just keep making lease extension payments on my LEAF, waiting patiently, not.

This could definitely happen, I just don't see how they can keep up with deliveries if production ramps up. If they are making 2,000 M3s a week that translates to one truckload of cars leaving the factory every 50 minutes. It's hard to believe that the two delivery centers in CA can handle that many cars.

Reactions: AlanSqB
This could definitely happen, I just don't see how they can keep up with deliveries if production ramps up. If they are making 2,000 M3s a week that translates to one truckload of cars leaving the factory every 50 minutes. It's hard to believe that the two delivery centers in CA can handle that many cars.

As soon as they can't, they'll expand distribution. This is all about maximizing deliveries. When it's a bottleneck instead, they will shift policy.

I believe Tesla will open additional delivery centers in California (San Diego, Anaheim, Riverside, Marin, Livermore, and maybe even Kettleman City -there is lots of available cheap land out there and it is centrally located about 2-3 hours from major population centers) to meet demand before they move out of State. I would surmise that RWD cars are going to be most desirable in California followed distantly by Florida and Texas. There is no good financial reason to move delivery out of State with the cost of additional infrastructure, support, and decentralization until it is absolutely necessary. And we haven't reached that point yet or for quite a while. My question is, as a non-owner California day one on-line reservationist, will I get my invitation before a Florida owner line stander. I don't know, but there could be some very disappointed people. I think January is going to be a very interesting month as well as the whole first quarter as we all trudge through production hell.

I believe Tesla will open additional delivery centers in California (San Diego, Anaheim, Riverside, Marin, Livermore, and maybe even Kettleman City -there is lots of available cheap land out there and it is centrally located about 2-3 hours from major population centers) to meet demand before they move out of State. I would surmise that RWD cars are going to be most desirable in California followed distantly by Florida and Texas. There is no good financial reason to move delivery out of State with the cost of additional infrastructure, support, and decentralization until it is absolutely necessary. And we haven't reached that point yet or for quite a while. My question is, as a non-owner California day one on-line reservationist, will I get my invitation before a Florida owner line stander. I don't know, but there could be some very disappointed people. I think January is going to be a very interesting month as well as the whole first quarter as we all trudge through production hell.

Keep in mind that for every 1000 invitations they send out... only a fraction are in a position to place an order right away. Some people don't have their finances worked out, some want a different version not offered yet and some just get cold feet. This happened with the Model X, they had 30,000 reservations and invited the whole list (in batches) before they had delivered 3,000 cars. Just making a guess here, but I would be surprised if they will be getting much more than a 25% conversion rate on invitations after they clear previous owners (who probably have their finances in order). In time that will go up, but $50-55K is a lot of dough and most people can't plunk it down without a little bit of time to mull it over.

... Just making a guess here, but I would be surprised if they will be getting much more than a 25% conversion rate on invitations after they clear previous owners (who probably have their finances in order). In time that will go up, but $50-55K is a lot of dough and most people can't plunk it down without a little bit of time to mull it over.

which is why i have been running around calling and placing a bunch of calls to prep for my delivery next week. just picked up my finance check this morning and have to add the 3 to my policy tuesday, pickup is wed. i was supposed to get delivery between the 18th and 25th of jan...

its been a fun few days.

Reactions: EV-lutioin
Keep in mind that for every 1000 invitations they send out... only a fraction are in a position to place an order right away. Some people don't have their finances worked out, some want a different version not offered yet and some just get cold feet. This happened with the Model X, they had 30,000 reservations and invited the whole list (in batches) before they had delivered 3,000 cars. Just making a guess here, but I would be surprised if they will be getting much more than a 25% conversion rate on invitations after they clear previous owners (who probably have their finances in order). In time that will go up, but $50-55K is a lot of dough and most people can't plunk it down without a little bit of time to mull it over.
In general. I agree with you, but at this time Tesla appears to be struggling a bit to meet their delivery schedule. I think deliveries to all parts of the US will bust open when the SR version is offered with ala carte options. I figure that could be as soon as March but more likely Q2 and then the $35K car will be available (probably with $7500 tax credit) and configurations will explode. I honestly think I will get an invitation to configure first production as a California on-line, non-owner BEFORE a line standing owner in Florida or Texas or even Washington. I don't think that will be fair in their eyes, but Tesla has to learn how to walk before it can run. We shall see.

So when first non-owners take delivery (hopefully in couple weeks), would they be eligible to order another with almost no delay as that point they are current owners?

I know you're kidding, but it brings up an interesting point. I don't know how they're slotting in new orders for owners because my dad put in a reservation a couple months ago and his delivery estimate has him at Late 2018. Granted he's on the East Coast, but he has a 2015 Model S (bought it new), so I was surprised that his status didn't have more weight when it came to the spot in line. I'm not saying it isn't fair - far from it - it's just not what I was expecting.

So when first non-owners take delivery (hopefully in couple weeks), would they be eligible to order another with almost no delay as that point they are current owners?

I’ll be flabbergasted if a single non-owner takes delivery in January. Hell I’ll be a bit surprised if one gets an INVITE. That said I don’t expect model 3 ownership to count for any sort of priority on anything, ever. We are the great unwashed masses.

I know you're kidding, but it brings up an interesting point. I don't know how they're slotting in new orders for owners because my dad put in a reservation a couple months ago and his delivery estimate has him at Late 2018. Granted he's on the East Coast, but he has a 2015 Model S (bought it new), so I was surprised that his status didn't have more weight when it came to the spot in line. I'm not saying it isn't fair - far from it - it's just not what I was expecting.

I suspect there are layers to sorting. First, when did you order? Employees first, then people who were in line on March 31st, then people who ordered online that day, then ... etc. Then within those lists of people (after employees) you'd have owners first, then non-owners. Then next down would be those located in CA / closer to Tesla, then those further, and so on. And of course there's also the fact that only premium non-performance RWD configurations are currently available, so if you don't want one you get skipped over for now, but will still have your relative place in line once the configuration you want is available.

Reactions: TimM.
I stood in line in Denver, so first day reservation and I don't own a Tesla yet. My estimate is Dec 17 to Feb 18. I'm guessing they'll have to change that estimate in the next 2 weeks or so...or start delivering. Naturally I'm hoping for the latter!

Which reminds me I've gotta get someone out here to give a quote on a 14-250 outlet.

I’ll be flabbergasted if a single non-owner takes delivery in January. Hell I’ll be a bit surprised if one gets an INVITE. That said I don’t expect model 3 ownership to count for any sort of priority on anything, ever. We are the great unwashed masses.