Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JVC-NX5000 going bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like the JVC unit is going south in my Roadster. The bluetooth and the iPod interface are not working and now the screen appears to have lost one of the primary colors so now everything has a purplish tint.

It seems like Tesla has withdrawn the Duble Din Upgrade. Has anyone done any sucessful upgrades? Thank you

Thank you Bart for a quick answer. So it fits and works in the dash? The JVC appears to be recessed about 1/2 inch so not sure how the screen would work. Was the wiring a problem? Were you able to use the JVC subwoofer amp or did that need to be replaced as well.

The difference is that the 7 inch screen will block the 2 vents above the head unit when open. It can still play when in the closed position and has a remote that you can use as well. I doubt that the subwoofer amp would need to be replaced but am not sure of that.

Thank you Bart for a quick answer. So it fits and works in the dash? The JVC appears to be recessed about 1/2 inch so not sure how the screen would work. Was the wiring a problem? Were you able to use the JVC subwoofer amp or did that need to be replaced as well.

I didn't plug a sub or amp into my Pioneer as it wasn't plugged into the aftermarket unit that was in my Roadster when I purchased it. Due to being recessed, the pioneer screen will not be at a 90 degree angle, more like 80-83 degree which seems to be better for me. Less glare.

I'm currently planning to replace the Pioneer with an iPad mini and remove the center vents as I never use them now. They dont' seem to produce much air anyway.

It seems like Tesla has withdrawn the Duble Din Upgrade. Has anyone done any sucessful upgrades? Thank you

Didn't know they had withdrawn the Double Din Upgrade. I guess I did a partial upgrade about 2 months ago, had Tesla provide the console upgrade but not the stereo unit. It took about 5 weeks for all the console parts to come in, then I took it to a 3rd party and had them do both the console and install a Pioneer head unit.

Jbadger: was the Pioneer straightforward to plug in or did it require any mods?
Thanks.

Plugging the unit in is pretty straightforward, but does require soldering the wire harnesses together. I bought an extra from Tesla for $10?

The hard part is all of dash that needs to come apart if you want to wire in a new dock connector. I replaced my Apple 30pin for a lightning. It was also a little work to get the new antennae I wanted for better reception. Here are some pics, and I can send more in email if you PM me.

IMG_0617.JPG
IMG_0616.JPG
IMG_0628.JPG
IMG_0640.JPG
IMG_0642.jpg

Last edited:
Plugging the unit in is pretty straightforward, but does require soldering the wire harnesses together. I bought an extra from Tesla for $10?

The hard part is all of dash that needs to come apart if you want to wire in a new dock connector. I replaced my Apple 30pin for a lightning. It was also a little work to get the new antennae I wanted for better reception. Here are some pics, and I can send more in email if you PM me.
Thanks jbadger, that helps. What if I don't want to wire in a dock connector? Do I still need to take apart the dash? I am happy using the streaming bluetooth and would prefer not to void
any warranties since I have a 37/37K warranty that just started.

You may be able to use a JVC ejector tool to remove the head unit from the mounting bracket. If not, you will need to remove the passenger air bag cover and the instrument panel housing to remove the head unit housing. It's still a bit of work and would require buying some replacement airbag cover fasteners from Tesla. This could void certain parts of your warranty, but I wouldn't know since mine is out of warranty.

Tesla will also do the install for you for about $500 ;). Don't know if they will do it while you are under warranty though.

Thank you all for the advice. It appears the BlueTooth module is a separate unit tucked behind/below the VDS by the drivers left knee. You have to pull the dash pieces over the Speedometer and the left trim piece. Crutchfield sells a replacement JVC BlueTooth unit for $49.99 with free shipping. I did not rerun the iPod connector as it goes under the carpet which also requires you to pull the driver's seat. Since the BlueTooth works I can play my phone that way.

The color is back as I think that problem was due to me not securely reattaching the removable faceplate as I was trying to see what was wrong with the BlueTooth.

dhrivnak, when I bought my Roadster it had an aftermarket radio and the dock connector had been moved from the dock area to the little floor storage area behind the dock. I was able to run new cable under the carpet without removing the front seat. Ran it through the door sill down right by the ledge for the seat so it's not visible or noticeable. It was a bit difficult and I got some minor scrapes on my arm from trying to bend the carpet enough to feed it under, but it is possible.

IMG_0634.jpg
IMG_0635.jpg

It seems like the JVC unit is going south in my Roadster. The bluetooth and the iPod interface are not working and now the screen appears to have lost one of the primary colors so now everything has a purplish tint.

A loose or not properly seated connector will also cause this problem with the display.