Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Katahdin Scenic Byway Rally October 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gwgan

Almost a wagon
Aug 11, 2013
Maine
Time to start planning for a weekend of Maine Fall activities including the second leaf peeping unofficial Katahdin Woods and Waters Scenic Byway Tesla Rally!

Sunday October 9, 2022 in the middle of the long holiday weekend.

I have already booked a lodge at Outdoor Adventure and Lakeside Lodging in Maine | New England Outdoor Center for Sunday and Monday night but they are hosting a big group that weekend and most of their buildings are set aside for Friday and Saturday. I can drive to the start of the rally from home but if you are too far away from Medway Maine I recommend you expand your search for lodging to be able to enjoy the whole weekend.

Reactions: jlv1 and kayak1
Useful links
Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters - Preserve, protect and promote
Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument
Katahdin Chamber of Commerce – Visit the Katahdin region
Welcome - .
River Drivers Restaurant - Dining in Millinocket Maine

Key locations:

Medway Supercharger 1941 Medway Rd, Medway, ME 04460
Mount Katahdin Scenic Overlook rest area on I-95N PG6G+WG Medway, Maine
Exit 264 on I-95 North at Sherman. Exit off the highway to the right. Turn left. Driver under the overpass. Turn left onto Rt. 11
Grindstone Falls Rest Area PCH6+6P Medway, Maine
River Driver’s Restaurant 30 Twin Pines Rd, Millinocket, ME 04462 P5GJ+GQ Millinocket, Maine. Be sure to check their page for directions before departure Driving Directions to the New England Outdoor Center, Maine

Resources:

The Byway https://www.katahdinwoodsandwaters.comExplore Maine Scenic Byways: Katahdin Woods & Waters
The National Monument Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
Natural Resources Council of Maine Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument
Katahdin Chamber of Comerce https://katahdinmaine.com
Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters https://www.friendsofkww.org

Notes:

Warning: you may not have cell service in the region. The DeLorme Paper Atlas & Gazetteer is available online and in local service stations.

You are encouraged to explore the area and enjoy outdoor activities however available area lodging may already be booked so plan ahead.

If traveling north on Rt 1 through Bucksport and the skies are clear consider a quick stop a the Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory when they open at 9AM then drive 1.5 hours north to Medway for the Rally Rates and Hours | Penobscot Narrows Bridge & Observatory

In Maine the weekend is Indigenous Peoples' Day Indigenous Peoples' Day - Wikipedia

The mountain is pronounced kuh·taa·dn.

Plan:
--meet at Medway Supercharger 11AM
--drive north on 95 with Mt. Katahdin view rest stop (20 miles highway)
--continue North on the highway
--turn south onto scenic Rt 11 at Sherman (25 miles winding road)
--return to Supercharger

Options:
--picnic lunch stop at Grindstone Falls park on Rt 11
--continue north to Patten for another magnificent view, grocery shopping, the Lumberman's Museum
--continue further north towards Baxter State Park Northgate at Matagamon (roads are not as nice).

Combine this event with a weekend adventure in Baxter State Park or with other area outdoor activities.

Plan:
--meet at Medway Supercharger 11AM
--drive north on 95 with Mt. Katahdin view rest stop (20 miles highway)
--continue North on the highway
--turn south onto scenic Rt 11 at Sherman (25 miles winding road)
--return to Supercharger

Options:
--picnic lunch stop at Grindstone Falls park on Rt 11
--continue north to Patten for another magnificent view, grocery shopping, the Lumberman's Museum
--continue further north towards Baxter State Park Northgate at Matagamon (roads are not as nice).

Combine this event with a weekend adventure in Baxter State Park or with other area outdoor activities.
We had fun last year. I will check with my wife, if we don't have a conflict I suspect that we will join the rally.

Reactions: Gwgan
I chose the long weekend because it’s a long ride for most just to get to Medway ME only to take a 1 hour drive with the hope people would stay a night or two in the region to do other activities and give people with kids a chance to attend.
We can pick a different weekend day next year based on the peak color forecast.

Reactions: dhkaufman and jlv1