Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kayaking with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0489.JPG
Took the Model X up to the Sierras kayaking. The Curt cargo carrier #18109 worked great and was super easy compared to putting kayaks on roof racks. Loved how I could keep an eye on everything with the rear view camera.

The kayak is 8 ft and it is very stable. It sticks out about 3-4 inches on each side but the legal limit is 8 1/2 ft. It is not as wide as a lot of other things that people tow. I can easily stack 2 of them on the cargo carrier without blocking the license plate or lights. The carrier is very stable and doesn't seem to bounce significantly when driving. You can keep a eye on it in the rear view camera , so in that sense it is better than putting the kayaks on roof racks, and much easier. When the cargo carrier is not in use it can be folded up at 90 degrees, which makes it easy to back into a Supercharger if you need to. The rear trunk still opens when the Carrier is at 90 degrees ,but misses it by about an inch. I cut and old water hose and lined the top edge of the carrier just so not to scratch the kayaks as the plastic can be scratched somewhat easily, as anyone who is used to these things is probably aware. The picture is at June lake in the eastern sierras.