Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep the parking lights on while car unlocked, but not permanently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone

The other night I had to pull over to grab something out of the boot. I selected parkers, but when I got out of the drivers seat the external lights went off despite the car remaining unlocked with the phone in the console and the boot open. I was hoping to keep the parkers running for visibility & safety but with no one in the driver seat they turn off.

So I tried the setting to leave the headlights on after exit, but while it would help with the above scenario, it keeps them on even after the car is locked. Is there a setting I could use to deliver the middle ground I'm looking for?

Thanks
Geoff

• Love
Reactions: Ravire
Hi everyone

The other night I had to pull over to grab something out of the boot. I selected parkers, but when I got out of the drivers seat the external lights went off despite the car remaining unlocked with the phone in the console and the boot open. I was hoping to keep the parkers running for visibility & safety but with no one in the driver seat they turn off.

So I tried the setting to leave the headlights on after exit, but while it would help with the above scenario, it keeps them on even after the car is locked. Is there a setting I could use to deliver the middle ground I'm looking for?

Thanks
Geoff

"headlights on after exit" should do what you are asking for. Here is the section of the user manual:

Headlights After Exit
When Headlights after Exit is on, the exterior
headlights remain on when you stop driving and park
Model 3 in low lighting conditions. They automatically
turn off after one minute or when Model 3 locks. When
off, headlights turn off when you engage the Park gear
and open a door

• Helpful
Reactions: strykeroz
Hi everyone

Thanks
Geoff

I don't know if this is required in the USA so the car might not have it but in Europe/Australia if you stop on th side of a road with a speed limit of higher than 50km/h you are required to to put front and rear parking lights on.

Before you exit press the PARKING button in the quick menu light selection. Tesla uses it's daytime running light as the parking light. Ironically it only displays the symbol on the dash if you also have the dipped beams put on... but anyway.
95128.svg

That doesn't work. Any light selections are turned off when you leave the driver seat.

As per my prior post, the fix is "headlights after exit" being selected. It does turn off the lights a minute after the car is locked.

it's just a glitch because Tesla patched the car so that when you leave the drivers seat and open the door the car automatically goes into park (even if already into park), which means the headlight settings reset to AUTO.

Get out of the car, lean over to the touch screen, then switch on parking lights. then close the door.