Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

keep your key card with you at all times..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a near miss the other day. I always use my phone to unlock my car and never have an issue. I went out for a hike at the weekend and dropped my phone in a river.. it was still working after I fished it out but the battery was dead...Fortunately my keycard was in my wallet. I wondered if people had had some bad experiences with their phone dying or otherwise. Not sure what I would have done had I not had my wallet...
Of course it's no different to losing ones keys.

Reactions: Dre78
Had to drive a few miles to rescue my wife once. She had removed her key card from her wallet before a trip. She wouldn’t need the card, didn’t want to worry about it when she was traveling.

She forgot to put the card back in her wallet when she returned. Then drove to the local Apple store to get her iPhone battery replaced. She had to leave her iPhone for the repair.

Started back to her 3 when she realized she was stuck. Returned to the store, borrowed an employee’s phone, called me.

I retrieved her card, drove it to her. Didn’t think of the remote unlock and turn on solution since the 3 was in a busy parking garage and we couldn’t time her walk well enough.

Reactions: Dan_A and Dre78
You can also call service and after validating your identity they can unlock for you, if you ever lock your phone in the car like my wife did.

Good to know! Although the likeliest scenario my wife or I would lock ourselves out would be at our work underground parking structure, both have zero reception...

related dumb question and I should RTFM I know!.. when using the key card it seems I have to explicitly lock the car when I leave (by touching the outside sensor).. is that correct?

Correct, if you key in, you have to key out to lock it. I’ve found my wife’s 3 unlocked at work many a time until we figured this out. Also would recommend per Tesla’s recommendation to have two separate online IDs to log into the app separately. Helps the car get less confused and have less errors using the phone for passive entry. After we did that our hit rate for phone success got a lot better. Not perfect but bettter.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: VT_EE and YisSerL
Had to drive a few miles to rescue my wife once. She had removed her key card from her wallet before a trip. She wouldn’t need the card, didn’t want to worry about it when she was traveling.

She forgot to put the card back in her wallet when she returned. Then drove to the local Apple store to get her iPhone battery replaced. She had to leave her iPhone for the repair.

Started back to her 3 when she realized she was stuck. Returned to the store, borrowed an employee’s phone, called me.

I retrieved her card, drove it to her. Didn’t think of the remote unlock and turn on solution since the 3 was in a busy parking garage and we couldn’t time her walk well enough.

you can allow her to drive from your phone, don't need to pick her up/drive keys to her, even if she doesn't have her key. I've done it once, wife forgot her phone and wallet (i walked her to the car with my phone in my pocket, she didn't realize her phone was missing and called me from her friend's phone)...

Always in my wallet. Which brings to mind suddenly I can't recall where I put the 2nd for backup - ooops!
Just had to look at my phone and I remembered - I got one of those stick-on stretchy "pockets" for the back of the phone, one key card's in there (in case phone dies), the other lives in the wallet. Wanted to make sure I'd never be without a keycard, darned near outsmarted myself! :rolleyes:

You can call Tesla or someone else (like your wife) who has your car on the their app, and they could remotely unlock the door and start the car. Of course since you lost the use of your phone, you will have to borrow someone's else phone to make the call!

I had a near miss the other day. I always use my phone to unlock my car and never have an issue. I went out for a hike at the weekend and dropped my phone in a river.. it was still working after I fished it out but the battery was dead...Fortunately my keycard was in my wallet. I wondered if people had had some bad experiences with their phone dying or otherwise. Not sure what I would have done had I not had my wallet...
Of course it's no different to losing ones keys.
my phone batt died while i was renting a truck. had to go miles out of my way to charge it before returning rental truck and picking up my tesla. ouch. later, tire flat car towed to tesla. they require you leave card key with them for service. ouch again. dont like thickening my wallet with key card but there is no choice. with so many unique tesla conveniences having to carry key card is minor nothing inconvenience. :)