Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping a Model 3 outdoors during a Quebec winter; any issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm ready to pull the trigger on ordering a Model 3. My only concern is that I do not have a garage to keep the car in Winter. Anyone else out there who has a Tesla and no garage? Should I be concerned?

Thanks, Richard
Will you be installing a charger at the location you will be parking outside a majority of the time overnight etc? If so, no concern as the car will regulate the temperature and you don't have to worry about power drain at all.

While I haven't been through a winter with my M3, I park outside constantly. And I've learned generally not to overthink these things. I usually charge to 80%, leave it plugged in overnight, and not worry. And I usually only charge overnight when my battery drops below 40% or so. That's just my practice based upon how I operate daily - if I drove more daily I'd change that.

It gets cold here in Oregon but not outrageously so. And even then, the battery will maintain itself. It's not a car that really "turns off"; it will do whatever it needs to do for its own health.

The general idea here is that we have a reflex to believe that water is bad, or snow is bad, because it's a battery. That's not really the case. The only absolute truth here is that while the battery is cold, the power in/out is diminished, but not the health.

Reactions: malou
I have parked my Model S outside here in Minnesota for 4 winters, plugged in at night, with no issues.
I have had one issue with my Model 3. An exceptionally cold night last year (-30 F), I started up the highest defrost on the front windshield, and within a minute of some heat coming up, a crack started at the glass bottom, and ran all the way to the top.

• Informative
Reactions: go2realize
A couple of things...

• In the colder temperatures, assume that you will lose about 30% battery range.
  • The door handles and auto-crack windows can be a little problematic in snow/ice, just as any other vehicles with the feature. When you open the door, the window will try to drop about a half inch to clear the trim. If it doesn't drop, it probably wont clear with not great results. Number of solutions, so icon spray, clear the windows, etc.
  • Lots of talk about no regen, but that's not a issue, the car just doesn't slow as much as regen
  • A cold battery isn't the happiest. You'll see some performance issues when cold. It's not necessarily the end of the world. Some people schedule charging to finish just before travel to help reduce impact. It is a little bigger issue in really cold weather though.
  • An open charge port is susceptible to snow and ice. You have to unplug the car before you can go (duh) but if frozen, you can have an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: go2realize
Some folks, Canadians, had issues with frozen door handles, frozen charger handle, frozen window. Since that time, there was a software update that cranked the heat, to help warm things up, but be aware that things can freeze. A quick rap on the door handle will unstick it. Some people put a cover on the charger handle. I think it's a common thing you can find in an autoparts store there, since I once looked, and they were all made in Canada. The other thing I've seen Canadians use is Gummi Pflege or similar to prevent the door window glass from sticking to the rubber gaskets.

Some people use an app, like Stats, to set preheating at a set time, before going to work, as well as charging, to warm up the battery. Of course, you can do it manually, like, turning it on before hopping in the shower, kind of thing. That's all I can remember.

I know it wasn't asked here, but I went with a standard 14-50 charger. While a wall connector is sexy, the other is more universal and can definitely charge a car overnight, easily.

In my humble and singular opinion, the only reason to get a wall connector is to recharge faster for whatever reason, and/or if you had multiple tesla cars in consideration.

Some people use an app, like Stats, to set preheating at a set time, before going to work, as well as charging, to warm up the battery. Of course, you can do it manually, like, turning it on before hopping in the shower, kind of thing. That's all I can remember.

I hear that timed pre-charging is coming in the next release which is greatly appreciated for situations like this.