Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping an alternative vehicle !?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am super excited to take delivery of my M3 mid May. I have read multiple people had issues with their M3 either upon delivery of after.

I have a job that I need to be at work and can’t afford my car to not start.

Question is... should I keep my current car for few weeks in case M3 gives me problems?

Thanks

Reactions: David Haynes
I am in the same boat,,, I will sell my current car only after taking delivery of M3. I rejected my delivery last Thursday and waiting for a new VIN. If a defective car is assigned again, I will defenitely requst hold on delivery for a couple months for other options (i.e. better quality, white interior, AWD)

If you need a mission critical vehicle and have the space and can afford the extra insurance, registration.....keep the ICE as backup. Waiting for uber or renting a car might not meet your requirements if your work has a time sensation start time.

Will be keeping my current vehicle 'cause it can go to some places that the Model 3 can't, and can carry stuff the Model 3 can't, and costs relatively little in maintenance, and the kid loves it.

We'll ditch the wife's '99 Camry instead, assuming it's still running by the time we can get a Model 3.

Cheaper than keeping my current thats already paid off? I don’t think that will be the case.

Taking into consideration that you’ll get some cash for your current vehicle and the probability is extremely low you’ll actually need a backup vehicle..... yeah you’ll probably lose money by keeping a second vehicle when insurance, registration, and depreciation are considered.

Reactions: Pkmmte and gavine
Wasn't going to sell our Prius, until I knew I had a good car in hand. I'm going to keep my BMW 2002 as an tribute to the ICE (it's actually a fun car in it's own right). :)

I miss my 2002 (sold it a coupe years ago). One day, thinking of wrapping the 3 the same color.

$(KGrHqZ,!iYE7TiRi(fkBO1tBgwfpw~~60_3.JPG

Reactions: JES2 and stargazer
Taking into consideration that you’ll get some cash for your current vehicle and the probability is extremely low you’ll actually need a backup vehicle..... yeah you’ll probably lose money by keeping a second vehicle when insurance, registration, and depreciation are considered.
It depends on the vehicle/use/situation. If the car's old/beat up enough, parking doesn't cost extra, depreciation is minimal, and in California at least, I only need to pay for registration and insurance if I operate the car on public roads. I can keep it insured/registered, which is $650/year give or take, or just keep it registered for about $150/year, and put insurance on it when I use it, assuming I can wait until a weekday to insure it.

All told, it would cost me between 3-13 Uber round trips to work and back based on their fare calculator ($50/day), assuming I at least keep it registered. Another problem is that if I do sell the car, and have to purchase another one for some reason, then I'll also take a hit on transaction costs. For instance, lets say my Model 3 is rear-ended/totaled, and my insurance company gives me a low-ball offer. I can fight it, but that takes time, and using Uber is very expensive ($50/round trip to work, $300/round trip to visit family). I can buy another beat up car, but even if I do that odds are I'll pay significantly more for it than I was paid for selling my beater because of transaction costs, which again is a hit.

There are plenty of situations where selling it makes sense too. If I had to pay for parking every day, it'd be gone. But in that situation I would hope public transportation would be much better than what I have access to now.