Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping car AC on on really hot day while plugged in.. Any problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see any issue or problem doing this but would love to get others take on the matter. Is there any consequence of leaving my Ac on at 67 to keep my car at a reasonable temperature while it's plugged in? I don't pay for charging at work so the only consequence I see is being wasteful of energy when it's not being occupied on a 90 degree day ( Seeing cabin Temps up to 120). Any thoughts?

Reactions: TheOtherPete
Like the others said, there is no reason to do this all day every day. It will waste a lot of energy and cause excess wear and tear on your car’s air conditioner and blower. Even if you aren’t paying for the energy someone is. If everyone started doing this and caused the power consumption for electric car charging to go up then your company or whoever is providing the free power may decide that it’s too expensive and you and everyone else who uses it will no longer get free power.

If you just want to return to cool car then remotely start the AC shortly before you’re ready to walk out to your car and you should be good to go.

On occasions where you have something in the car that needs to stay cool then go ahead and leave the AC running. (I’ve done this after I’ve purchased groceries when I needed to make another stop before I went home)

Reactions: outdoors