TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Keeping car AC on on really hot day while plugged in.. Any problems?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by AMIYY4YOU, Jul 3, 2018.

1. AMIYY4YOU

AMIYY4YOU Member

I don't see any issue or problem doing this but would love to get others take on the matter. Is there any consequence of leaving my Ac on at 67 to keep my car at a reasonable temperature while it's plugged in? I don't pay for charging at work so the only consequence I see is being wasteful of energy when it's not being occupied on a 90 degree day ( Seeing cabin Temps up to 120). Any thoughts?

• Like x 1
  2. outdoors

outdoors Supporting Member

Wasteful for sure.

New A/C compressor or system when warranty runs out. $$

Not designed to be a house.

Recent update has cabin overheat protection on 3.

Cabin overheat keeps our S at 101 with tinted windows. 67 is maybe a little chilly.

3. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

Are you keeping things that need to be at that temperature in the car? Otherwise I don't see why you want to keep car at such a low temp all the time... just start the AC 30 mins before you know you are heading home and should be all good.

• Like x 2
  4. SureValla

SureValla Member

even 5 min before is good enough

• Like x 2
  5. BrettS

BrettS Member

Like the others said, there is no reason to do this all day every day. It will waste a lot of energy and cause excess wear and tear on your car’s air conditioner and blower. Even if you aren’t paying for the energy someone is. If everyone started doing this and caused the power consumption for electric car charging to go up then your company or whoever is providing the free power may decide that it’s too expensive and you and everyone else who uses it will no longer get free power.

If you just want to return to cool car then remotely start the AC shortly before you’re ready to walk out to your car and you should be good to go.

On occasions where you have something in the car that needs to stay cool then go ahead and leave the AC running. (I’ve done this after I’ve purchased groceries when I needed to make another stop before I went home)

• Like x 1
  6. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

i've seen my model 3 show 120F on 21.9 and after turning on AC/set to 68, it was at that temperature after only 5 minutes. when i'm really worried about heat, i run AC for 10 minutes instead of 5 before getting in the car! :)

• Like x 2
  7. AMIYY4YOU

AMIYY4YOU Member

All great thoughts thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the best thing to do is only do this when you absolutely need to otherwise there's not much benefit and in fact can cause more wear on the ac system

• Like x 1