Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping FSD In The Family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Biggie

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2020
Amarillo, TX
The first Model Y that I bought has FSD. The second one, bought ~1.5 years later, does not have FSD. My wife drives the one with FSD, and I drive the one without. Both cars are under my account.

Since the incorporation of cloud-based driver profiles, her car keeps reverting to my driver profile.

I was considering creating a separate account for her, then linking her car to that account. But if we do that, will Tesla consider the car "sold," and will we lose the FSD

I am open to easier solutions if there are any.

Create a separate profile for her, add that account for her as an additional driver, then make her account the primary one for that car, using her phone as key as priority device.

Note that you are not engaging anyone at tesla at any point to transfer the car, etc. You are just going to add her account as an authorized driver for both cars, but make her phone key the primary for the car she drives primarily, and make yours primary for the one you drive primarily.

I have this setup exactly this way for my wifes model Y and my model 3.

I was considering creating a separate account for her, then linking her car to that account. But if we do that, will Tesla consider the car "sold," and will we lose the FSD
No. It’s not a transaction.

It's not called "linking".

It's "Manage Drivers" "Add up to five drivers".

It's specific set up to prevent what you fear: loss of FSD.

Reactions: Biggie
Create a separate profile for her, add that account for her as an additional driver, then make her account the primary one for that car, using her phone as key as priority device.

Note that you are not engaging anyone at tesla at any point to transfer the car, etc. You are just going to add her account as an authorized driver for both cars, but make her phone key the primary for the car she drives primarily, and make yours primary for the one you drive primarily.

I have this setup exactly this way for my wifes model Y and my model

Currently, both cars are listed under my Tesla account. In the Tesla app, I can see and interact with both cars. My wife is logged into the Tesla app under my name, so she can also see both cars. She is listed as an added driver for both.

Up until the cloud profiles appeared, this worked fine because you just got in and selected the driver profile for whichever of us was driving. Bluetooth was not an issue because she was the primary for her car, and I for mine.

So to clarify, are you suggesting that I:
  • Create a Tesla account for her
  • Have her log in to the Tesla app using her credentials
  • Set up her phone as a key (and primary Bluetooth)
  • Add me as a driver
If so, then next questions are:
  • Do I need to remove her car from my Tesla app?
  • Then add her as a driver of my car? (She is already, but not using her Tesla account)
Sorry to seem dense, but I don't want to accidentally break something that forces me to try to talk to someone at Tesla.

So to clarify, are you suggesting that I:
  • Create a Tesla account for her
  • Have her log in to the Tesla app using her credentials
  • Set up her phone as a key (and primary Bluetooth)
  • Add me as a driver

No, to step 4 "add you as a driver".

She wont need to add you as a driver, because you own both vehicles already. You would simply add her new tesla account as a driver for both vehicles. No, you are not removing any car from any account.

Where you appear to be getting confused on this is, you are not transferring anything to anyone.

You are simply allowing someone with a tesla account to be an authorized driver on both of your vehicles. Setting someones phone key as primary is done in the car, and has nothing to do with who owns the car, etc.

No, to step 4 "add you as a driver".

She wont need to add you as a driver, because you own both vehicles already. You would simply add her new tesla account as a driver for both vehicles. No, you are not removing any car from any account.

Where you appear to be getting confused on this is, you are not transferring anything to anyone.

You are simply allowing someone with a tesla account to be an authorized driver on both of your vehicles. Setting someones phone key as primary is done in the car, and has nothing to do with who owns the car, etc.

Thank you!

Reactions: jjrandorin