Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping Key Fob in Glove Box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I purchased the Key Fob so it would be easier for valets / others to use the car vs the key card, but I don't really want to carry a fob around.

Any thoughts on just leaving it in the glove box?

* No passive entry so I shouldn't have to worry about it keeping the car unlocked
* The glovebox "locks" so no one should be able to get it out; I mean I suppose someone can pry it open and grab the fob but that's only if they knew about it... and I suppose I could use PIN to drive to block that concern?

Am I missing anything?

It is passive if you have an authenticated phone. (I wonder if the could make a BT repeater/range extender to make it work from further away like they do with the S fobs.)
Well, passive for the other cars means the car wakes up, but I know what you mean.

So the point of this thread was: I guess no one has seen PIN to Drive on a 3 at more recent versions? Still be a good optional feature. I use it on my X even with the cryptographically improved fobs they have.

I keep mine in the glove box, I keep it in a Faraday pouch just in case.

Does the screen turn on if someone breaks into the car?
The difference between this and the problem with the S X keys is that this one doesn't transmit or listen until the button is pressed, like a garage door opener. No need to keep shielded.
This is also why it doesn't support passive entry.

The difference between this and the problem with the S X keys is that this one doesn't transmit or listen until the button is pressed, like a garage door opener. No need to keep shielded.
This is also why it doesn't support passive entry.

I am aware, however, the first time I left the fob in the glove box, the doors never locked after I left the car. It may have been a coincidence (or may have accidentally pressed a button on the fob) but figure safer than sorry by using a pouch (I have a few laying around the house anyways).

Reactions: Scrutmonkey