Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kerbed Alloy Wheels - Touch-Up Paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AlternateFlux

Former Vendor
Jun 29, 2019
UK
Moderator comment - posts merged and renamed from "Kerbed or scuffed rims on SR+ aeros? I've found the perfect match". Several other similar threads merged.

Please note that wheel colours may vary so if using a recommendation please check that the paint being discussed matches year, model, variation etc.

I may have misjudged the width of my M3 this week... BUT luckily I've discovered that Ford's Galaxy Grey paint is exactly the right colour for touch-ups.

Just thought it might be useful information for some.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the same on day 3, although in my case it was a Dartmoor hedge which aren’t as soft as they look. A coach driver on a road he shouldn’t have been on and with a huge tailback behind him convinced me to take a deep breath and squeeze through the gap. A small scratch on the alloy, soon to be Ford Galaxied over, the result. Interestingly no mark on the Aero cover. I had intended to get rid of the covers, but I’m warming to them. They are much easier to keep clean.
If anyone wants a set of Tesla wheel nut covers....

I did the same on day 3, although in my case it was a Dartmoor hedge which aren’t as soft as they look. A coach driver on a road he shouldn’t have been on and with a huge tailback behind him convinced me to take a deep breath and squeeze through the gap. A small scratch on the alloy, soon to be Ford Galaxied over, the result. Interestingly no mark on the Aero cover. I had intended to get rid of the covers, but I’m warming to them. They are much easier to keep clean.

Exactly THIS.

I did all my research and thought the regular alloys looked great, so had planned to just remove the aero covers and ride on them with nut / hub covers.

But I really like the look of them on the car now, and am considering leaving them on for good.

Exactly THIS.

I did all my research and thought the regular alloys looked great, so had planned to just remove the aero covers and ride on them with nut / hub covers.

But I really like the look of them on the car now, and am considering leaving them on for good.

EVannex via Amazon have some great wraps for the Aero covers. They seem to be well within DIY capable range.

Reactions: 1 person
If it's the proper Tesla aero cap kit I'll buy them off you

CX seems to be the paint code, but it seems to vary slightly in name from model to model as you drill down through different paint suppliers. Plus some are just touchup sticks, some multi packs, some aerosols - would be good if I could find one that works in a modelling air brush.

Also any recommended method for repairing rim rash - looks like its going to need quite a bit of rubbing down to get it flat :(

Ford Color Codes - CX model/year code CX Cross-Reference

Ok...a lesson to be learnt...don't experiment with autopilot round tight left hand bends with curbs/kerbs (can never remember which is right so I will be right and wrong). It will not end well for your alloys...

Had quotes for about £100 to fix professionally which I will have to fork out for as I have beyond zero on my DIY skills...

Attachments

• 20200204_103021.jpg
    20200204_103021.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 20200204_103016.jpg
    20200204_103016.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 156
Anybody know if you can get rim protectors for these, and if they have used rim protectors, if they work? I currently have an Audi A6 black edition with skinny tyres on diamond cut wheels. The stupidest decision as I live on a narrow road with curb and they are now covered in scratches. So I have to be honest I will curb the Tesla and need to find a way to protect them!

I am talking the standard aero wheels.

Anybody know if you can get rim protectors for these, and if they have used rim protectors, if they work? I currently have an Audi A6 black edition with skinny tyres on diamond cut wheels. The stupidest decision as I live on a narrow road with curb and they are now covered in scratches. So I have to be honest I will curb the Tesla and need to find a way to protect them!

I am talking the standard aero wheels.
I’ve no personal experience of rim protectors, but I’ve read of instances where they’ve come part unstuck at speed, and the rotating rim protector has damaged the car bodywork.

Because of this, for the first time ever in 42 years of motoring, I’ve taken out alloy insurance!