Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob availability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But aren't the animals rummaging through your trousers an equal issue... Imagine if one ate the fob. You would be hearding them past the car just to find out which one opened the doors...
Not a problem, no livestock and if there was then it wouldn't be in the same barn as car. When there was livestock then fob was safely elsewhere and I had quad bike or tractor key at risk instead. More valuable items near my pocket depths than a fob.....

Reactions: Beady3647
It’s an eKey fingerprint system which is built into the door handle of my front door, which is made by Austrian company Internorm. It works extremely well, and can handle 99 different fingers, for those with many family members/friends/staff etc… 🤣 They’re not cheap as front doors go, however I supply them commercially to large sites all over the UK, so got a good deal 😉

If you’re looking, talk to Mark at Scotia Architectural in Alva and tell him Andy from Internorm sent you 👍
Sounds cool. I've often wondered how long it will be before house keys are history (except as a failsafe backup). Our holiday apartment has a simple coded door entry and I don't understand why UK houses nearly all still have old-fashioned key locks. It's silly when I find it more convenient to enter our house via the auto garage door than faff around with the front door key! Why can't my front door just open like my Tesla via phone?

Reactions: kelvin 660
Sounds cool. I've often wondered how long it will be before house keys are history (except as a failsafe backup). Our holiday apartment has a simple coded door entry and I don't understand why UK houses nearly all still have old-fashioned key locks. It's silly when I find it more convenient to enter our house via the auto garage door than faff around with the front door key! Why can't my front door just open like my Tesla via phone?
A lot to be said for simple and mechanical..try getting onto your Tesla when the 12v fails or you phone goes pffutt.
If you end up with electronic house doors with key backup you end up carrying them anyway in case of power outages. A combination lock is simpler

Yale have a smart lock where you can unlock with a fob, card or phone app. Unfortunately, the range looks like you still need to hover the item over the lock to unlock, so marginally quicker than rummaging around for keys, inserting and turning the key in the lock.

Yale have a smart lock where you can unlock with a fob, card or phone app. Unfortunately, the range looks like you still need to hover the item over the lock to unlock, so marginally quicker than rummaging around for keys, inserting and turning the key in the lock.
What I want is exactly how my Tesla works i.e. I just pull the handle and it opens.

Talk of locks makes me think about how nice it would be if people didn't steal stuff? It's pretty sad really when you think about it. Having to lock pretty much anything you own.

What I want is exactly how my Tesla works i.e. I just pull the handle and it opens.

Talk of locks makes me think about how nice it would be if people didn't steal stuff? It's pretty sad really when you think about it. Having to lock pretty much anything you own.
I would like my house to have central locking and electric windows too. It would be so much more useful than it is on a car where these features are a given.

Reactions: WllXM and Peteski
Ooh! I've got a self-build project in the works, and as a programmer the idea of filling the house with gubbins is very appealing. I hadn't gotten around to searching for any commercial solutions yet, so this is very helpful.

I just hope it's all within my own network, and doesn't depend on their remote servers.
All done within your own network using their miniserver

Reactions: DeejUK
This can be done.. Google Loxone…
Of course it can be done if you throw enough cash at it. I'm just surprised it's not more mainstream at this point. Even the lowest spec cars have remote central locking these days, while it's still very much a ultra-high-end niche option for houses. Building is still such a low-tech industry (at least here in the UK)

Reactions: GRiLLA