TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Key fob battery

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Dawgfan, Sep 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dawgfan

Dawgfan Member

I've had my X 30 days. Have already had to change key fob battery twice. Anyone else experiencing your fob ripping through batteries?

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

If you keep your key close to the car, then the battery will drain more quickly. Try storing the key at a greater distance from the car.

3. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

I keep mine in A RFID blocking pouch available on Amazon. No such issue for me. It was initially reported in the very early models which was resolved after changing the battery. There is a thread on this issue plenty of suggestions there.

• Informative x 1
  4. Dawgfan

Dawgfan Member

Thanks

5. cmd_keen

cmd_keen Member

You likely need to have your FOB firmware updated. This is a known issue that was corrected on my last service visit. So a call to your local SC (and then a visit with both your fobs) should take care of it.

• Informative x 1
  6. earlyretirement

earlyretirement Model X 90D

Funny you should mention this. I just took delivery of my car a few short weeks ago and yes my battery died yesterday while I was out. Luckily I had my iphone App and could open and start the car but was surprised that the battery would die after such a short time. My Model S battery would last a lot longer. I never store my battery close to the car so this is pretty surprising.

7. Nerdy_Engineer

Nerdy_Engineer Brett - The Nerdy Engineer

Yeah, if you live close enough to a Service Center, that's your best bet. Bring both FOBs. They'll change the batteries and update the firmware on them.

8. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

Your battery may not actually have died. The fob's themselves have an issue and get confused. I had to keep taking my battery out and reinserting it every few weeks. Nothing wrong with the battery.

They have reprogrammed the fob's but it has only been a few weeks so too early to tell if they have actually fixed it yet.

9. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

One of my two Fobs battery died after only 9 weeks. Interesting, it is the one I don't use regularly and it is stored even farther away from the MX than the one I use every day! Worries me enough that I'm keeping an extra battery inside the key fob silicon holder for emergencies.

• Like x 1