TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Key Fob Design for Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by necho, Nov 22, 2014.

1. necho

necho Member

Any speculation about the design of the key fob for the model X, I guess it can't be the same as for the Model S. Just to make it thicker to reflect the height of the car w/o any additional functionalities wouldn't make sense either. Maybe anybody made some thoughts about it and would like to discuss to shorten the waiting time for it :smile:

2. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

It'll be a thick X. Each corner/leg does something different. Top left single locks it. Double unlocks. Top right opens the falcons (and lets out a bloodcurdling screech). Bottom left opens the rear trunk. Bottom right pops the (fully motorized) frunX.

3. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Why the FOB will have Falcon wings too! When you open the Falcon wing doors the key fob will do the same:smile: and then you will have more buttons available for cool functions.

4. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

Yes, opening frunk, rear, front doors and Falcon wing doors on the model just like a matchbox car. When you open the key fob model's doors, the real ones open. Better make the keyfob out of polished aluminum and not plastic.

I assume the Model X won't have a panoramic roof but otherwise this will have to be on the feyfob model as well.

5. santana338

santana338 Member

I just hope they have individualized fobs so each driver will have their profile set when get in the car.

6. Earlian

Earlian Member

#6 Earlian, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    Why do we need a keyfob at all? A simple chip will do it with all your individual needs. Steering per mobile phone, or with gestures, or nearing a foot under the car to open trunk/frunk will do it, for example.

They are transmitting anyway, so why do that also have to be a joystick? Only to impress others while laying it on the table?

I hope Tesla is following there path in reducing and removing useless crap.

I don't want a key disturbing in my pockets and which could be lost somewhere.

If others need a key, why not doing it an option?

7. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

I was recently surprised to learn that the Model S does not have individual FOBs that would precondition the car to the drivers preferences. That has been around for several years on nearly every car over $25K. Although I will be the primary driver of my Model X (someday soooon), it would be great for most to have a FOB for each driver and allow the seats and mirrors to adjust when approaching the car.

I guess the Model S has a preset button for multiple drivers??

8. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Personally I'd prefer a more traditional fob. While having the fob look like a small model s is cute, it limits the number of functions the fob can have. The fob is also a bit delicate, requiring us to buy covers to keep the plastic from cracking. Imho, Tesla should go with something similar to Audi or MB. Real buttons, solid feel. Functional and durable.

9. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Id like a credit card (or smaller) sized fob that could be kept in my wallet.

10. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

Actually, I think this is the best idea so far. I would also prefer NFC capabilities so I can just open the car with my cell phone (not an app, just by holding it close enough). The same could be done with a BT 4 proximity check. The credit card remote would be nice to open other doors, frunk or trunk.

11. UMD86

UMD86 Member

Model X Key Fob

Has anyone seen the Key Fob?? Was wondering how different is it from the Model S.

12. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Can't find it right now, but I'm pretty sure one of the early reviews by verge or motor trend had a pic of the fob. Similar concept, but taller in back representing the higher tail end of the X. Didn't look as nice and probably overly sized for what it needs to be to make the shape match.

13. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Hmmmm....I need one for prototyping pronto!

Side note, surprised they stayed with the same theme, but then again, Elon was often bragging about the Model S key, so maybe I'm not really that surprised.

14. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Doesn't look bad. I thought it was going to be even more bulky compared on the MS key.

15. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

16. Maaz

Maaz Member

Model X Key

Sorry if it has been posted anywhere else, if it has then go ahead and delete. But i know people were wondering about how the key looks like and here is a picture from a motor trend article of the key.
    2016-Tesla-Model-X-interior-seats.jpg
    2016 Tesla Model X: 15 Things to Know About the EV CUV

17. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

Missed opportunity. It should have been white with grey striping.

- K

18. Tim Alguire

Tim Alguire Member

Did anyone get a look while at the event?