TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

key fob far away from the tesla?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Dan Utah, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Dan Utah

Dan Utah Member

I just got my x. it is randomly unlocking and the headlights turn off and on.

the key fobs are only a few feet away on a hook. do we need to move the fob far away so it does not un lock the car?

2. octoad

octoad Member

You should probably post in the X forum. We here don’t believe in fobs. :)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  3. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Yes, you need to keep the fob further away or put them in some kind of shielded pouch or box. If you search for "faraday pouch" online should see many options.

Also, probably have more luck posting in the X sub-forum instead of the Model 3 sub-forum. ;)

4. Scrutmonkey

Scrutmonkey Member

I had dinner with a friend and his car (Model X) kept flashing and turning on...turns out when he got home, his wife left one of the fobs in the car.

We were at a Mexican restaurant and even wrapped his FOB in aluminum...poor man's faraday "ball"

• Funny x 1
  5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

X owner here. :D I use a pouch for the fob I keep nearby, the one upstairs is fine. Either put it farther away and see if the car is still on (locked is also a good test, use the app to check) or just get a pouch if you really want to keep the fob nearby.

(My backup/second fob is in the kitchen right though the garage wall in a pouch, primary is upstairs in a bedroom.)

6. MidwestMX

MidwestMX Member

How far does the fob need to be from the car if you don’t want to use a pouch? Not concerned if the car stays unlocked in our garage but guess I don’t want the headlights flashing if this is the case.

7. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

It can also prematurely wear down your fob battery as well as your Tesla battery if the car keeps being activated by the fob pinging it.

I would expect that moving it 30 feet away would do it.

Interestingly my car will not activate unless the fob is less than about 10 feet away. When I wash it I just place it that far away and all the doors lock etc. Also I have set it about 4 feet away from the right rear and the frunk is still locked too but I suspect the car and fob are still "talking" and wearing each other out.

8. spectrum

spectrum Member

For what it’s worth, there is a dead spot inside the Model X where it does not detect its own key fob. It’s in the rear trunk underneath the cover on the left hand side.

Model X Dead Zone on YouTube

• Informative x 2
  9. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

For me, only about 10 feet away. You could also disable passive entry so it doesn't matter. I do that at night anyway to prevent a key relay attack.