Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob not working after battery replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same thing happen to my key fob. I am about 150 miles from the nearest service center, and had literally just had my annual service done a few days prior when it happened, so I was really trying to find a solution without going all the way back to service. Finally stumbled upon a site in Ukraine that shows there is a weak point between the battery connector and the board that sometimes breaks when putting the new battery in.

I hit this with a small dab of solder to bridge the battery connector and the board test point/trace, and the key started working again.

Hopefully this helps someone save some time/money in the future if they have the equipment/ability to fix this themselves.

key-fob-tesla-model-x.png

There are several threads about this, I had the same problem last year and also had to have Tesla reset the car’s fob programming. This seems to be one reason they do the fob battery replacement at the annual service because they have the car in the shop.

Last week I did replace the battery in one fob of my X and it worked. Here’s what I did different. I did it in a few seconds and within range of the car. I’m surmising that having the car awake and seeing the fob had it accept/re-acknowledge the fob when it came online. Before I did it in the house and it didn’t recognize it.

I’ve never heard of one dying killing both of them but anything is possible. I also thought that perhaps it has been made better with recent software but obviously not, so perhaps my process helped (short downtime, car active, etc.).
Yep that’s what I did and it worked for me.
There are several threads about this, I had the same problem last year and also had to have Tesla reset the car’s fob programming. This seems to be one reason they do the fob battery replacement at the annual service because they have the car in the shop.

Last week I did replace the battery in one fob of my X and it worked. Here’s what I did different. I did it in a few seconds and within range of the car. I’m surmising that having the car awake and seeing the fob had it accept/re-acknowledge the fob when it came online. Before I did it in the house and it didn’t recognize it.

I’ve never heard of one dying killing both of them but anything is possible. I also thought that perhaps it has been made better with recent software but obviously not, so perhaps my process helped (short downtime, car active, etc.).
yep this worked for me as well.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I had a similar problem just recently with my Model S. The batteries in both my fobs were getting low, so I went to replace one (even used the recommended Panasonics) and post-replacement, the fob wouldn't work no matter how many batteries I put through it.

I put in the Energizer from the other low-battery fob and it started working again. Looking closely, the ground pad on the Energizer sticks out further than the Panasonic (and Duracels that I also got thinking I had a bad batch of batteries). On the outside edge of the ground spring pad that lays down underneath the battery, there was a bit of metal sticking up where you'd normally pry the old battery out. This was apparently shorting out any shallower battery I put in there and killing them within an hour or so. A little adjustment with a screwdriver and both fobs work good as new with any of the batteries I had on hand.

I suspect it's relatively easy to pry up that little piece when removing the old batteries, so that's probably what did it and is why removing the old battery "kills" some of these fobs.

I having this same issue - low key fob warning and doens't work at all after battery replacement. Worse yet I had the dumb idea to try swapping batteries with the other fob and now neither fob works! To top it off the app is acting wierd and says unlocked but the car is clearly unlocked. I can enable keyless driving and roll down the windows to somehow get in but this doesn't seem like a great way.

I've put in for mobile service - luckily they can be here in 2 days on monday - would mobile be able to fix all these (Keyfob v1.0 Late 2016 Modes S). I'm going to check the contacts as suggested by the post above. If I didn't have another car I'd be stuck completely at home!

I having this same issue - low key fob warning and doens't work at all after battery replacement. Worse yet I had the dumb idea to try swapping batteries with the other fob and now neither fob works! To top it off the app is acting wierd and says unlocked but the car is clearly unlocked. I can enable keyless driving and roll down the windows to somehow get in but this doesn't seem like a great way.

I've put in for mobile service - luckily they can be here in 2 days on monday - would mobile be able to fix all these (Keyfob v1.0 Late 2016 Modes S). I'm going to check the contacts as suggested by the post above. If I didn't have another car I'd be stuck completely at home!

update: I tried removing and repositioning the battery while standnig outside the car with both fobs, someone mentioned the contacts to check they hadn't lifted up causing shorts etc. Anyway both fobs are working! Not sure exactly what I did

Replaced battery in a key fob after low battery warning and it stopped working. So I’ve been using a different key fob for the past few months. Had to replace that battery and it stopped working. I often work in electronics so this isn’t user error—it’s just poor design. Now I’m going to miss two days of out of town work while I wait for a service appointment. Why hasn’t Tesla fixed this issue by now?!

Reactions: towndrunk
I had a similar problem just recently with my Model S. The batteries in both my fobs were getting low, so I went to replace one (even used the recommended Panasonics) and post-replacement, the fob wouldn't work no matter how many batteries I put through it.

I put in the Energizer from the other low-battery fob and it started working again. Looking closely, the ground pad on the Energizer sticks out further than the Panasonic (and Duracels that I also got thinking I had a bad batch of batteries). On the outside edge of the ground spring pad that lays down underneath the battery, there was a bit of metal sticking up where you'd normally pry the old battery out. This was apparently shorting out any shallower battery I put in there and killing them within an hour or so. A little adjustment with a screwdriver and both fobs work good as new with any of the batteries I had on hand.

I suspect it's relatively easy to pry up that little piece when removing the old batteries, so that's probably what did it and is why removing the old battery "kills" some of these fobs.
Opticron,
That was it.. Thank you for your post. You solved my frustration. Now I understand why both of my Key Fobs stopped working at the same time. I replaced the battery on both fobs by using the same method of prying the old battery with my pointy knife. This caused the bottom battery ground Contact to lift up and touching the Positive side of the battery, which caused a shortage (like you mentioned). After I flattened the Ground Contact, now it works again.
I have to admit, it's a bad design.

I got the low key fob warning, so I replaced the battery with a generic cheap battery, and it wouldn't work at all. I tried another one and same thing. I tested the cheap battery, 3.3v, so it should have worked, but when I put it in the key fob and tried opening doors, frunk, trunk several times, I took the battery out and it was down to 2.7 volts. Apparently it couldn't handle the current drain of operating the key fob. I went out and bought a Duracell 2032 battery, and now it works, but I can't get rid of the low battery warning on the dash! I can't figure out how to reset it.
I thought I had same problem. However when I took new battery back out I noticed there was a label on underside of battery 🙈 once label removed and battery replaced all was working again… Whew…

I had the same thing happen to my key fob. I am about 150 miles from the nearest service center, and had literally just had my annual service done a few days prior when it happened, so I was really trying to find a solution without going all the way back to service. Finally stumbled upon a site in Ukraine that shows there is a weak point between the battery connector and the board that sometimes breaks when putting the new battery in.

I hit this with a small dab of solder to bridge the battery connector and the board test point/trace, and the key started working again.

Hopefully this helps someone save some time/money in the future if they have the equipment/ability to fix this themselves.

key-fob-tesla-model-x.png
This is 100% the problem here. I did a lot of work around this.

I have a 2019 MX Raven. I have 2 keys. Only I really drive it. After about 2 years I got the low battery warning so changed the battery. Then the key stopped working. I switched to the other key which was largely unused. It worked fine for about 6 months and then it's battery was low. Changed the battery same thing again. The same thing to happen on 2 keys is too much of a coincidence, there had to be a common problem here. Some buttons worked better than others, the side door buttons tended to be more reliable with the roof press being the worst. The proximity to the drivers door still seemed to largely trigger the door to open. This patter is a symptom of the underlying problem here.

The issue is this: the connection of the battery to the circuit board is too weak. That's the part circled red in this other person's post. when you remove the battery you push it up therefore exerting stress on this connection and ultimately breaking the connection. See photo one below, you will see in the gold ring there is a crack which prevents the power from the battery reaching the circuit board. One the reverse of the board at this very same point is the button for the lock/unlock - the roof button. Therefore, when you clock the roof button you are exerting force again directly on this connection and it forces this crack open. So even if the crack is allowing some power through, when you push the roof button it opens the crack and stops the remote working. This is the reason that some of the other buttons (side) and the proximity to work.
tempImagekUDrAS.png

The solution is relatively simple but require you to fix this crack. It is done by a bit of soldering. I ordered a solder kit from Amazon for $25. This is compared with the price of a key of $320 from Tesla Service ($640 is you replace both keys). There's stuff on YouTube about soldering and the kit I got from Amazon has a practice circuit board.

Amazon.com

It is a little tricky. These photos are zoomed really close in, it's a really small hole. I managed to get a little solder in the hole and used solder flux to cover the piece too (see below). Did the same on both keys and they now work perfectly, as if new.

tempImagesi6K8C.png

So essentially, this is a design flaw in this key. The weak connection point coupled with the location of the button on the other side means power will not flow to the key from the battery unless you make this repair.

It's nothing to do with the quality of the battery, or changing it in the car rather than the house etc. (although none of this does any harm).

Reactions: brainhouston
Opticron,
That was it.. Thank you for your post. You solved my frustration. Now I understand why both of my Key Fobs stopped working at the same time. I replaced the battery on both fobs by using the same method of prying the old battery with my pointy knife. This caused the bottom battery ground Contact to lift up and touching the Positive side of the battery, which caused a shortage (like you mentioned). After I flattened the Ground Contact, now it works again.
I didn't see this - I found the problem to be something slightly different; Key fob not working after battery replacement

tried everything under the sun when my mx fob stopped working... after numerous threads and articles... this did it... a $6 amazon solder kit and an ugly attempt later... it works... lol

thx to the all the folks who posted pics photos makin this an ez effortless fix...

Attachments

• IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_3164.jpg
    IMG_3164.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
update: I tried removing and repositioning the battery while standnig outside the car with both fobs, someone mentioned the contacts to check they hadn't lifted up causing shorts etc. Anyway both fobs are working! Not sure exactly what I did
2 years later - one fob has now just plain stopped working - Model S 2016 (late) build - tried for several days of battery various brands checking the contacts. Seems to either have died or what not sure

Opticron,
THANK YOU!! This worked for me as well! I guess when I pried out the battery, I also pried the edge of the thin metal, that caused it to short (I used the same energizer battery that was that was already in there). I used a small screwdriver and pressed down the metal contact and it worked! If that didn’t work, I would‘ve tried putting a small piece of electrical tape on that section of the contact.
On a side note, I avoid Duracell button-cell batteries (and all Duracell batteries for that matter) because they have a bitter coating on it so kids don’t swallow it. The coating makes the battery not work with Apple AirTags. I wouldn’t want to have another complication replacing my Tesla remote battery.
Link discusses coating: Duracell CR2032 won’t work with Air Tag - Apple Community