Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob vs phone reliability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what happens if your phone key doesn’t work and you don’t have the key card on you?
There are 2 separate phone key options. One is passive entry. When people are talking about their “phone” not working, IMO they are usually talking about the vehicle not detecting it for passive entry.

However, there’s always the option of launching the Tesla app and pressing the unlock button to get in the car. I suppose this wouldn’t work for actually getting the car in drive, however!

I got fobs and am satisfied. The MY has locked and unlocked on approach without a problem (although I usually have my phone with me). I kind of like the ability to reach in my pocket and click the fob (without looking) to open the trunk on approach. I also got a fob case with a key ring for our rarely used house key. I've only used the card to program the phones.

I got fobs and am satisfied. The MY has locked and unlocked on approach without a problem (although I usually have my phone with me). I kind of like the ability to reach in my pocket and click the fob (without looking) to open the trunk on approach. I also got a fob case with a key ring for our rarely used house key. I've only used the card to program the phones.
The trunk opening feature was really the main reason I was considering it, however I have to say, it has not been an issue for me and have not missed the ability to open it from my pocket. That could change though…

iPhone works 99.9999% for both passive entry and driving. Interaction with the car causes the wake up, eg pressing door handle, charger button, trunk button, etc.
I loved it more when 3 did proximity wake up using BLE, though too complex and too many phone issues (particular on Android),

If phone dies, have SO open doors and start vehicle via controls section of their phone app.

only issue I’ve had with phone now is you hav3 to have the correct Tesla selected, eg if you check Tesla Solar device then car won’t wake up until you select correct car.

So what happens if your phone key doesn’t work and you don’t have the key card on you?
that happened to me once with my Model S. Didn't bring the key fob and used the phone to drive. Unlike the 3, or Y, if you leave your phone inside the car, the doors will still lock. Luckily, my brother was with me. Had him download the app and used it to unlock the car and drove home.

My wife and I actually miss the key fob coming from a Model S, but i am too cheap so only ordered 1 for my wife. haha.

There are 2 separate phone key options. One is passive entry. When people are talking about their “phone” not working, IMO they are usually talking about the vehicle not detecting it for passive entry.

However, there’s always the option of launching the Tesla app and pressing the unlock button to get in the car. I suppose this wouldn’t work for actually getting the car in drive, however!
Nor will it work if your phone or the car is outside the wireless carrier's service area.

Reactions: LevelHeaded
Have had my Y for a month and have yet to carry card with me. iPhone Xs has gotten me in every time. Granted, there's been times I've had to wake my phone up/open app, or just rotate my back pocket to door to get it to unlock. I know I'm taking a small chance the phone won't work, but I haven't wandered too far from home, yet ... and I figured my wife could try to unlock from her phone remotely. I do keep a 3rd card hidden in car for valet purposes. The biggest worry I have is the case where my phone decides not work when it and the car are out of cell range. I'd probably be compelled to carry card on me for long trips, especially in desert to Phoenix or Vegas.

Have had my Y for a month and have yet to carry card with me. iPhone Xs has gotten me in every time. Granted, there's been times I've had to wake my phone up/open app, or just rotate my back pocket to door to get it to unlock. I know I'm taking a small chance the phone won't work, but I haven't wandered too far from home, yet ... and I figured my wife could try to unlock from her phone remotely. I do keep a 3rd card hidden in car for valet purposes. The biggest worry I have is the case where my phone decides not work when it and the car are out of cell range. I'd probably be compelled to carry card on me for long trips, especially in desert to Phoenix or Vegas.
I have also had great success (100% I think) with the phone approach, however seeing as you are likely carrying at least one credit/debit/ID card etc and therefore some form of wallet, I would certainly be carrying a spare card with me :)

Reactions: Halpm3Pleas3
I have a galaxy note 10+. It seems like when the phone is in idle/sleep mode, the tesla can't detect it. I would have to push any button on the phone for it to finally be detected and open.

I'm not sure if there is a workaround other than keeping my phone awake at all times so I don't have to pull it out of my pocket.

What is the consensus on www.teslaring.com? Is it compatible with the MY?

EDIT: I just put the tesla app on my "apps that won't be put to sleep" list. Once I get the MY back from service I'll test it out.

Last edited:
I have a galaxy note 10+. It seems like when the phone is in idle/sleep mode, the tesla can't detect it. I would have to push any button on the phone for it to finally be detected and open.

I'm not sure if there is a workaround other than keeping my phone awake at all times so I don't have to pull it out of my pocket.

What is the consensus on www.teslaring.com? Is it compatible with the MY?

EDIT: I just put the tesla app on my "apps that won't be put to sleep" list. Once I get the MY back from service I'll test it out.

I’ve been using the Tesla Ring aka Cnick ring for a couple/few weeks now. It works on both our 3 & Y. It takes some getting used to on how to angle your knuckles but I’ve gotten the hang of it. I’ve just about gotten used to wearing a ring on this finger so it’s becoming normal. I posted some pictures earlier in this thread. I’d recommend it for the price, no logos is an option too.

As you noted, the app needs to be active in the background which may be the problem for a lot of people. I don’t find the Tesla app uses much battery and my wife’s S10 doesn’t seem to drain faster with it either.

Reactions: B4dtzM4ru
After using the model S loaner w/ the fob, I can say I appreciate it more than the phone. The low power BT always has issues when the phone is in my back pocket and since I always carry keys in my pocket for various places, the fob is always there. Plus, very easy to pop frunk/trunk with the push of a button instead of fumbling the phone.

Reactions: Klau2
2 years into model 3 ownership. 1 year with the fob. The first year with just using the iphone was 99% fine, but that 1% was extremely annoying. Using the fob has been 100% fine - no issues whatsoever. And the added convenience of being able to get into the frunk fast is great if you use the frunk a lot.

Reactions: imola.zhp
For the 5 months of using my phone (Oneplus 6t) as a key, open on approach has been reliable about 98% of the time. However, it has never failed to unlock the car when I had to pull it out of the my pocket. I also keep
the Tesla cardkey in my wallet just in case. So for me, the fob is unnecessary.

Sure it does. You can remote enable the car to be driven from the phone app.

https://www.teslaring.com/

The rings are all big and blocky, but they also have two bracelets.

Keep in mind that these are not proximity keys: you need to use it the way you do one of the cards.

I don't think they're too bad, the bracelets are a bit ugly. A lot of my married male co-workers wear as wide if not wider wedding bands. If you've ever tried on one of those silicone wedding bands it's about the same in width and thickness.

You do have to get your knuckles just about touching the B-pillar and it does take a few times to get used to the angle but it's worth it to me because I can't always have my phone on my and I don't like to get my key card out (it won't work through my wallet and I like this wallet too much). I also have no more physical door keys anymore which is awesome!

Reactions: Electric Steve
I don't think they're too bad, the bracelets are a bit ugly. A lot of my married male co-workers wear as wide if not wider wedding bands. If you've ever tried on one of those silicone wedding bands it's about the same in width and thickness.

You do have to get your knuckles just about touching the B-pillar and it does take a few times to get used to the angle but it's worth it to me because I can't always have my phone on my and I don't like to get my key card out (it won't work through my wallet and I like this wallet too much). I also have no more physical door keys anymore which is awesome!
Yeah, I only carry keys in the unlikely event that the batteries for the locks on both of my doors fail at the same time, so I sympathize.

I had an S for over 3 years, and used a fob almost all the time, because I have a master key I carry to my house/office and I like having the car and key together. I also like being able to pop the trunk/frunk with the fob (it's easier for me than using the phone). I used my phone with the S too, but before getting my Y you had to have a cell connection. With the Y (3 weeks in), I have used the card key, phone and a fob I bought. I have defaulted back to using the fob since I also have a key I carry around. When I don't have the fob, my phone seems to work fine always, but I still prefer the fob given my personal situation.

Reactions: pkitch and Matsayz