Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Not Inside; Key Battery Needs Replacing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Stuart

Roadster#326, ModelS#1409
Supporting Member
May 23, 2009
San Jose, CA
I recently saw this amusing message on the screen:

Key-not-inside-battery-needs-replacing.jpg

If the key is not in the car, how does the car know the key battery needs replacing?

And if the key battery truly is dead, can the car really be certain the key is not inside?

It’s distinctly possible that it did get a signal from the fob as you walked to the car, and determined that the voltage was low, but the signal is still not strong enough to identify it’s location.

My personal relevant observation: I have had my key fob signal blocked when I have my iPhone in the same pocket, but yesterday morning I got the ‘Key Not Inside’ message and all I had was one of those glasses cleaning wipe pouches in my pocket with the fob. Sure enough.. pulled that out of my pocket.. boom.. back in business. It seems it’s *very* sensitive regarding the positioning of the fob since it happily unlocked the car as I walked up, but did not think the key was inside.

Your SC should also replace them or give you a couple of spares during your annual service as well. Well worth keeping one in your glovebox...you can open your car from your phone, but you need a working key to actually start it.

Actually you should be able to start the car with a dead key fob battery. Quoting somebody from the Tesla forum:
Roblab | July 3, 2012 -

At present the dead key fob will unlock the car if placed just behind the passenger side front wheel. RFID works at about one foot. Once inside the then opened car, the dead key fob is placed near the front of the driver's seat cushion, which will start the car. A key in the pocket would most likely be withing RFID range.

Actually you should be able to start the car with a dead key fob battery. Quoting somebody from the Tesla forum:

Yeah, I read something similar about placing it in the cupholder if it's dead. Either way, it seems easier (assuming you have your phone with you) to open it via that, rather than fishing around under the wheel well.

The windshield location is to unlock the car, but neither location will work with a dead battery (according to other posts), they might work with a weak battery. Best advice is to buy a pack of CR2032 batteries and keep them outside the car (they don't do much good when inside it and you can't get in).

The windshield location is to unlock the car, but neither location will work with a dead battery (according to other posts), they might work with a weak battery. Best advice is to buy a pack of CR2032 batteries and keep them outside the car (they don't do much good when inside it and you can't get in).

But that's where you use your phone to unlock the car, assuming of course there's an Android or iPhone handy, but based on what I see from my store analytics, that's very, very likely for most Tesla owners!

But that's where you use your phone to unlock the car, assuming of course there's an Android or iPhone handy, but based on what I see from my store analytics, that's very, very likely for most Tesla owners!

Yes, you're right. The phone works. It would be nice if you could also start the car with the phone as well.

The phone will work only as long as the car has connectivity to the internet. Which means if you're parked in a large underground parking structure where the car has no connectivity, you can't rely on the phone or even Tesla Service to unlock your car remotely. This applies even if your phone has signal. Remember the phone is not communicating directly with the car; it's communicating with Tesla's servers on the internet, which then reach out to the car over its cellular connection.

I bought several extra CR2032's and keep them at home, at work, and in the car. Haven't yet figured out a good place to keep a spare battery on the outside of the car though.