Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keycard cracked, vehicle stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some phones may well have had BT connectivity issues, but you don’t need a cell signal to use it. That’s only required for remote access and initial phone pairing with the car.
Yep. That's exactly the feature I tried when I got my car. Turned off all wifi and data on my cell phone, but kept the bluetooth on. Phone key definitely still worked (although some of the other phone features don't). In fact the phone key doesn't work properly if you turn off bluetooth (like if you want to drive the car).

It makes complete sense, as there are guaranteed to be areas where there is no cell reception nor any wifi. No way can Tesla rely solely on that. I haven't tried the NFC feature yet, but not all phones have NFC (but most phones do have bluetooth).

Last edited:
Okay. Good. Makes sense. (That's what people have been doing since the 3 came out.) But what does that have to do with setting up a spare for those unforeseeable situations? You could leave the spare at your office on in your garage. You could even explain to a trusted friend or trusted neighbor and leave it in their garage.

There's a thread on here from a guy, within the past year, that was desperate for help because he locked his card in his car and it was in a hiking area where there was no cell service. He said he had not setup his phone, so he could not use it to get in. And his wife had their only other card and she was out of town. He had to wait a couple of days for her to get back to bring his car back home. He had hiked out to get home, but could not get in his car to bring it back. That's the kind of backup that I am referring to. That's where thinking that everything's always going to work and taking it for granted can cause grief. That's why some of us try to help by pointing out its a good idea to think about how create a backup. It doesn't benefit those of us taking the time to explain.

The guy should have simply set up his phone beforehand and then it wouldn't have been a problem at all. His problem was that he was relying on a single key to open the car (As do 99.99% of all other drivers with normal key fobs). I don't 100% trust my phone as a key (battery could go flat etc) so I always carry a keycard as backup. How many backups do I really need? What are the chances of my phone and keycard failing at the same time? What use would a second phone be at home anyway if I had no cell signal at the car. I have a second keycard at home if the world ends.

Reactions: firerock
The guy should have simply set up his phone beforehand and then it wouldn't have been a problem at all. His problem was that he was relying on a single key to open the car (As do 99.99% of all other drivers with normal key fobs). I don't 100% trust my phone as a key (battery could go flat etc) so I always carry a keycard as backup. How many backups do I really need? What are the chances of my phone and keycard failing at the same time? What use would a second phone be at home anyway if I had no cell signal at the car. I have a second keycard at home if the world ends.

I picked up a FOB for these kinds of situations, and more. Should a family member need to borrow the car, I'm valet parking, or I need someone to bring me a key it's just easier to have a traditional FOB. Don't need to be explaining how to use the "card". Everyone knows how a FOB works!

Tim

Reactions: Akikiki
I have an old Samsung SIII that I installed the App onto, so it does work on old phones...
Guess it depends on the phone

Galaxy S4 mini

Screenshot_2021-02-15-19-15-04.png

Reactions: Akikiki
I picked up a FOB for these kinds of situations, and more. Should a family member need to borrow the car, I'm valet parking, or I need someone to bring me a key it's just easier to have a traditional FOB. Don't need to be explaining how to use the "card". Everyone knows how a FOB works!

Tim

Yeah FOB is fine, just don't see much point in it for use as an emergency only back-up. Different story if using it regularly instead of a phone. The The keycard itself has instructions on the back how to use it. When you get in the car (once you work out how the door handles work) the screen even tells you where to place it. Even my wife managed to do it by herself the other day! Keycard is fine as a back-up, but not very good as a primary key because you have to swipe it every time.