Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia Soul EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it true that the Kia Soul EV locks the J1772 handle to the car and doesn't automatically release when done? If so, is there an option to disable?

A Kia Soul EV showed up at my work but I don't know the (very new to EVs) driver and haven't mailed them yet. They added their car to the table (on an internal web page @ work) and made notes similar to the notes in their entry I made about the i3 and e-Golf, which have non-configurable J1772 handle locks. They remain locked like a parasite even when charging's complete and there's no way yet to alter their behavior (ala the 3 position switch on '13+ Leafs).
The Canadian Kia Soul EV we picked up last night didn't lock the J1772 port.

I visited the Kia display area at the State Fair of Texas (which opened today.)

The Kia sales people told me it would be another seven to eight months, fingers crossed, before the 2016 Electric Soul would be coming to Texas.
Which is significantly later than what was initially projected/promised (sound familiar? to Model X?).
Multiple reasons//excuses were quoted why the car is not yet for sale anywhere in Texas, and most were very lame.
--Technicians had not yet been trained.
--Sales people had not yet been trained.
--Individual dealers did not have much interest
--No demand from customers

They did not even know where the car or the batteries of the car were manufactured.
Clearly, the sales people are not motivated to do their own research and find out any facts.

I am a bit perplexed as I have been seeing TV ads for the EV version of the car on National TV for 8 or 9 months.
The sales guys knew virtually nothing about the EV version, which proves the point that there are STILL a lot of people are NOT that curious about Electric Vehicles.
Or they want to be spoon-fed all the information, or they are simply intellectually lazy.

Things they got wrong:
** Range: they quoted 160 miles (multiple times and I told them that was incorrect), actual will be closer to 93 EPA rated miles (I had them check the internet to see the real range.)
** They knew nothing about the $7,500 Federal tax rebate that the new car purchaser would be eligible to file for, or when it would expire

smh

I visited the Kia display area at the State Fair of Texas (which opened today.)

The Kia sales people told me it would be another seven to eight months, fingers crossed, before the 2016 Electric Soul would be coming to Texas.
Which is significantly later than what was initially projected/promised (sound familiar? to Model X?).
Multiple reasons//excuses were quoted why the car is not yet for sale anywhere in Texas, and most were very lame.
--Technicians had not yet been trained.
--Sales people had not yet been trained.
--Individual dealers did not have much interest
--No demand from customers

They did not even know where the car or the batteries of the car were manufactured.
Clearly, the sales people are not motivated to do their own research and find out any facts.

I am a bit perplexed as I have been seeing TV ads for the EV version of the car on National TV for 8 or 9 months.
The sales guys knew virtually nothing about the EV version, which proves the point that there are STILL a lot of people are NOT that curious about Electric Vehicles.
Or they want to be spoon-fed all the information, or they are simply intellectually lazy.

Things they got wrong:
** Range: they quoted 160 miles (multiple times and I told them that was incorrect), actual will be closer to 93 EPA rated miles (I had them check the internet to see the real range.)
** They knew nothing about the $7,500 Federal tax rebate that the new car purchaser would be eligible to file for, or when it would expire

smh
I was wondering when it would hit our state....thanks for the update. We are going next weekend, so I'll make sure to stop by the car and see if they've retained any of that info ;)

I was wondering when it would hit our state....thanks for the update. We are going next weekend, so I'll make sure to stop by the car and see if they've retained any of that info ;)

I was recently @ Albany's EV event, where they had E-Golfs, Smart EVs, EV RAV4, Fit EVs along with Leafs and Volts (and Teslas too).
I don't recall seeing an i-3 in attendance, certainly no i-8.
I knew about the E-Golf, but had never seen one (in the flesh), ditto for the Fit EV and EV RAV 4.
Kinda rare, certainly extremely rare in Texas.

The deal is: until other manufacturers (outside Nissan, BMW, GM and Tesla in Texas and many other states) get their viable EV product IN the show rooms and people actually see, drive and own the cars, it may as well be vaporware.
And thus, the EV conversation never really starts.
Once people see multiple manufacturers are making an earnest effort to develop and build EVs then people start becoming aware of what else they could own and actually drive.

That's good news!

I think it's a great car, we're really enjoying ours.

I wish we had UVO in Canada though. Not being able to pre-heat/cool the cabin the way we can with the Tesla is REALLY frustrating.

Wondering if there's some kind of CAN-bus device that could do it, but I doubt it.

A note from Victoria, BC.
Just test drove the 2016 Kia Soul EV premium edition (no sunroof). Firstly, I must say, we worked with a very professional, honest, articulate salesperson. I think her name was Katrina, and to be frank, it was one of the best dealership experiences I have ever had.

It has a really nice ride.
Very quiet, with little tire noise on highway.
My wife's phone connected effortlessly and seamlessly to the bluetooth (I know should be a given, but recently drove a 2015 Volvo and was not).
The interior, while somewhat less inspiring than more premium cars , is simple and well laid out.
The trunk is very, very small.
The back seat is slightly cramped re: leg room for adults, but lots of head room.

EVerall, we were very impressed. The major drawbacks holding us back are the range, and trunk space (2 car seats will be in the back seat). If only there was something between an X and the Soul!

edit: they have a premium available in black/red, any other colour or for the sunroof is a 3 month wait.

edit: they have a premium available in black/red, any other colour or for the sunroof is a 3 month wait.

Ocelot,
If you can live with the range, grab the black and red one and don't look back. I don't have kids so can't attest to the use of car seats in the rear, but I absolutely love the car and am coming up on my 1 year anniversary. I'm leasing mine till the model 3 comes out. Maybe you could do the same? That way you avoid any battery issues, and can save up for a Tesla. You will enjoy the heater steering whee and seats up there too, much more so than in SoCal :wink:

RT

Deliveries are really starting to pick up in Norway. As of the 10th of October, there had been 251 deliveries in Ocober, and 1776 thus far in 2015. This makes the Soul the third most popular EV in Ocober, after the Leaf and the e-Golf , and the fourth most popular EV thus far in 2015, after the Leaf, e-Golf and Model S.

The trunk is very, very small.
There's apparently a polystyrene box under the floor of the trunk, that some owners have removed to increase the space significantly. It's more comparable with the competition if you do so.

It seems at least Germany is the European hub for Kia Soul EV deliveries – we suspect many of these sales originate from other regions, but are registered from the OEM out of Germany.
Most likely Norwegians wanted to get a faster delivery by getting it in Germany instead of waiting in the queue for local delivery. Check those Norwegian "used import" numbers to see if they show up there in October or November.

Most likely Norwegians wanted to get a faster delivery by getting it in Germany instead of waiting in the queue for local delivery. Check those Norwegian "used import" numbers to see if they show up there in October or November.
Some are quite definitely headed for Norway.

Kia Soul Electric registrations recent months (both used and new):

August: 326
September: 416
October: 500
November 1st through 21st: 325

Lease VS Buy

Hi there...
Well we did another test drive today (after a few months break) and are near to pulling the trigger.

Our debate now is to lease or buy. We have the capital to buy, however are very unsure of resale value in a few years. I figure in a few years battery technology should be giving significantly more range, and there might even be lower cost 'new' cars available. Combine this with the colour choice we/my wife made of light blue/white, which definitely limits your resale group population.

Anyhow any thoughts on this? If it was an ICE I would buy...but just unsure and have never leased a car (or bought a brand new one for that matter!).

thanks.

kia-soul-ev-Chicago-4.jpg