Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia Soul EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon is 100% correct about traditional car dealerships wanting to torpedo EVs. Case in point: This horrible anti-EV dealership Vancouver KIA in Vancouver BC Canada:

From https://www.facebook.com/groups/chevyvoltowners/permalink/968625799816712/

"A friend received this from a Kia dealer in Vancouver who is not authorized to sell the Soul EV. Shocking!
Hi,
Thank you for your interest in the Soul EV.
Are you interested because you think an EV will save you money, or because you believe it will be good for the environment? Because realistically, it will do neither. The Carbon footprint of making the electric battery is equivalent to driving the gas powered luxury Soul for 5 years, and the extra 8-10000 $ you will pay for an EV, would pay for gas in a 2.0 l GDI four cylinder for 7 years.
So again, whatever your buying motivation, savings or environment, at this point in time, the EV is a social / political statement and is good neither for your pocketbook, nor the environment.
Best Regards,
Phil Curtin
Internet Sales Manager
Kia of Vancouver
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow up APOLOGY LETTER from Manager of the Dealership:
"Hi,
My name is Jason and I am one of the Sales Managers here at Kia Vancouver. That email your friend received is not a good sounding tone.
I do apologize to your friend that such an email was sent in the first place. If you could pass this on, that would be great.
There is some truth to the email though. A top of the line Kia Soul SX-L (gasoline powered) is about $30000, where as an EV soul will run north of $40000. However, the government just released an EV incentive as of today so it may help lower the cost to consumers to get into EV powered vehicles.
It is debatable how “environmental friendly” EV cars really are. Nickel is mined by big diesel powered machinery to gather materials to build batteries. Cars are shipped around the world using big ships running on fossil fuels. However, there is no point getting into this as it boils down to perspective with strong points on both ends.
The one thing I do like to ask potential EV customers myself is whether they believe that driving an EV will save them money in the long term. This is not true right now because the cost of an EV car compared to its gasoline counterpart is so much more expensive at the point of sale. Taking the Soul for example, a $10000 price difference does indeed buy you a lot of gas (e.g., $2000 per year on gas will get you 5 years of driving). Then we can take into consideration that gasoline cars are known and likely more reliable, regardless of the brand.
However, when it boils down to buying a car. It should only be the buyer’s views that matter. We as sales people are only here to guide and give information. Unfortunately, the tone of my salesman was very very poor. The exact same thing could have been said in a much more appropriate manner with less of a tone of “you shouldn’t buy an EV because blah blah blah blah”.
Lastly, we do not carry EV souls. Only two dealers in BC have the privilege of selling them. If you have any more general questions for me George, you may email or call me anytime. Send my apologies to your friend as well.
Best Regards,
Jason Wong
Pre-Owned & Internet Sales Manager
TEL: 604-326-6868
CELL: 778-386-5223 (text available)"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hum yeah this is not appropriate, if it was me I think some official KIA contacts should be known about this. Contacts - Kia Motors America Newsroom

*please* do NOT quote entire posts just to add your one line or worse one word comment like "wow" or "+1".

There are about 5 replies so far in this subject and three of them have quoted the original long post in its entirety. What for? Do you think if you just say, "wow" we will not understand the context? Perhaps it would have been enough if you quoted just a single line from that post to get the context ?

It is annoying to keep scrolling down past the quoted post only to find out the Tapatalk app has truncated it and I had to click to another page to read it fully.

*please* do NOT quote entire posts just to add your one line or worse one word comment like "wow" or "+1".

There are about 5 replies so far in this subject and three of them have quoted the original long post in its entirety. What for? Do you think if you just say, "wow" we will not understand the context? Perhaps it would have been enough if you quoted just a single line from that post to get the context ?

It is annoying to keep scrolling down past the quoted post only to find out the Tapatalk app has truncated it and I had to click to another page to read it fully.

I think it's appropriate as it keep things organized, else it can get misunderstood with another post and could end up in snippy-ness thread. I think Tapatalk is more to blame for your frustration.

Re: spaceballs

Look here I am replying to you without quoting your post in its entirety (which unnecessarily has my post too)

So pray tell me, what is the confusion here in this post, why do think this is any less organized or why would this go to snippiness. ?

I think it's appropriate as it keep things organized
No, the excessive quoting makes threads harder to follow. Only quoting enough of the post to maintain reference is required, but yes, this requires a bit more work.

I'm pretty amazed at the response from those sales guys. I have a feeling they're mainly bagging on the Soul EV because they don't have any to sell.

No, the excessive quoting makes threads harder to follow. Only quoting enough of the post to maintain reference is required, but yes, this requires a bit more work. ...
Most people don't bother if it involves more work sadly, thus it ends up either excessive quotes or lack of them. For me I rather have more excessive quoting, especially on big threads that can get easily sidetracked.

I thought quoting the comment, after someone had already commented, would make it clear what I was responding to. Most forums automatically abbreviate long quotes from messages, this one does not.

I'll be interested to know what you learn...
It depends on the EVSE. I use a Juicebox, which I built from a kit. It had the option to add an ammeter, and a small LCD display. So mine shows the total current from the wall, and the power being supplied to the vehicle.

Today as I was walking to my car in the outside parking area at work, I turned on the remote A/C. When I got to the car about 5 minutes later it was working. This was on a standard 120v outlet. The day before when I tried it I got the "cannot authorize payment..." text message. So it seems to be hit or miss. At least today I confirmed that it is at least possible to turn on the remote A/C when plugged into 120v. Not sure why this isn't working reliably for me.

RT

It looks like a slow down not a ramp up from those numbers. Will Mar 2015 have a spike? We'll know by this time next week.

Keep in mind the goal per Kia is to sell 5000 per year worldwide with the US having the largest share of that (see Kia Targets 5,000 Sales Annually For Soul EV - U.S. Expected To Be #1 Market For Electric Soul). If 50 percent are sold in the US making it 2500 a year we need to be seeing just over 200 a month sold. Not a high sales target for a car that on paper looks to be better than the Nissan Leaf which sells thousands a month.

Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard
March 2015 Plug-In Electric Vehicle Sales Report Card | Inside EVs

edit:
From the scorecard we have Soul EV US sales of

63 Mar 2015
48 Feb 2015
69 Jan 2015
110 Dec 2014
140 Nov 2014
109 Oct 2014

Last edited:
insideevs had a link to this review of the Soul EV. Very long at 29 minutes, and probably the best review I have ever seen for any car. The guy goes through the entire menu system explaining what all the screens tell you, and what can be controlled. This excludes the entertainment system, which he reviews separately. I also discovered something I didn't know about the car. The floor panel in the hatch can actually completely fold up and tuck into a slot behind the rear seats. I knew it could fold once to allow storage under the panel, but didn't know about the tuck.

I am 6 months into the experience, and love the car as much today as the day I leased it. Had to start using my 2013 Prius to cut back on the Soul miles, and find that I really don't like driving a gas car anymore. And to think I really enjoyed the Prius when I first got it back in 2013. The Soul EV has so much better low speed torque than the Prius, except when you put the Prius in "power" mode. Except that when you do that, touching the gas pedal causes the engine to absolutely roar to life. You don't get that in the Soul EV, and thats a good thing :smile:

2015 Kia Soul EV DETAILED Review and Road Test - In 4K - YouTube

My accelerator pedal recall was done without me asking, and before I had received the paperwork, while I was in for a tire rotation a couple months ago. My Kia dealer has been unexpectedly professional and competent (Downtown Los Angeles).

I, too, remain thrilled with the Soul EV 10,000 miles in. I am also exceeding the 15,000 mi/year run rate of my lease and have been shifting some travel to my motorcycle to help mitigate this. The car is so competent and easy to drive that it's very easy to pile on the miles.

Unless I'm completely mistaken, a search of the Soul EV website shows 47 Soul EV's for sale in the greater Atlanta area (within 50 miles of zip 30301). All you Georgian's looking to grab that sweet $5,000 state rebate before it disappears who also want to own the highest mileage EV short of a Tesla currently available better scoot over to one of these 7 locations and "get er done"... :wink:

The blood is now in the water, let the feeding frenzy begin.

Anyone out there who happens to grab one, please let us know.

Atlanta Soul EV.jpg

Atlanta Soul EV 2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Wow,
One of the dealers is offering the "same" lease deal that we were teased with out here. $2k down, $279/mo. Whether the dealers will actually follow through on that is another matter entirely. If nothing else, the June sales numbers for the Soul EV should spike nicely with the added sales from Atlanta.

Atlanta Soul EV 3.jpg

I am 6 months into the experience, and love the car as much today as the day I leased it. Had to start using my 2013 Prius to cut back on the Soul miles, and find that I really don't like driving a gas car anymore. And to think I really enjoyed the Prius when I first got it back in 2013. The Soul EV has so much better low speed torque than the Prius, except when you put the Prius in "power" mode. Except that when you do that, touching the gas pedal causes the engine to absolutely roar to life. You don't get that in the Soul EV, and thats a good thing :smile:

2015 Kia Soul EV DETAILED Review and Road Test - In 4K - YouTube

If its range were just slightly longer, I might have pulled the trigger on a Soul EV. I actually test drove one, and loved the experience. Very smooth and serene, and ample power, at least seat-of-the-pants, I thought. As far as I know, other than the Model S, it's the longest-range EV currently on the market.