Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia Soul EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If its range were just slightly longer, I might have pulled the trigger on a Soul EV. I actually test drove one, and loved the experience. Very smooth and serene, and ample power, at least seat-of-the-pants, I thought. As far as I know, other than the Model S, it's the longest-range EV currently on the market.

Actually, the Mercedes B class electric sports a Tesla built powertrain with 36 kWh battery for 104 miles of EPA range with the range option which is now standard for 2015. But it's more expensive and frankly, I find it ugly. But it does have more range and the battery system is a Tesla proven version. We don't know how the SK Innovation NMC cells are going to fare in real world use.

We don't know how the SK Innovation NMC cells are going to fare in real world use.

Every time I know I'm going to do a 100% charge and use the bulk of it, I take notes on what I've used, what's remaining, and then extrapolate that.

The data are crunchy and there is no consistency for ambient temps, HVAC, accessories, average speed, or the like, but you can follow my SKI pack here:

Kia Soul Battery Degradation - Google Sheets

Actually, the Mercedes B class electric sports a Tesla built powertrain with 36 kWh battery for 104 miles of EPA range with the range option which is now standard for 2015. But it's more expensive and frankly, I find it ugly. But it does have more range and the battery system is a Tesla proven version. We don't know how the SK Innovation NMC cells are going to fare in real world use.

Don't know how current the info is, but according to the EPA fuel economy guide, the Soul EV has a slightly longer range.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=35601&id=35960

Don't know how current the info is, but according to the EPA fuel economy guide, the Soul EV has a slightly longer range.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=35601&id=35960

The B-Class has a formerly-optional "range extender" package that allows the battery pack to be range charged as opposed to default (80%?) charge. When used in this manner the B has greater range.

The Soul's EPA mileage is an average of 80% and 100% charge options, however, so a similar "range charge" on a Soul would be 103 EPA miles at 100% user SOC.

The B-Class EPA number is calculated without pressing the Range button while charging. As far as I'm concerned, they are equivalent. The 41.8kWh (usable) battery in the RAV4 EV can take it noticeably further even though the aero is significantly worse.

We are in Canada and own a soul Ev since January. Did you guys know that Canada is the only place in the world where the Soul Ev models are different and customers are really not happy about it. Here there is 2 models the Base model and Luxe model. The base models doesn't have the Chademo and pump like all base model all around the world. And guess what.. Dealers are only receiving base models. There are only like max 10 dealers authorized to sell them in Canada and they received around 2 base model each months and 2 Luxe each 3 to 4 months. There is a queue of about 50 people in each dealers to get Luxe models. A guys on a soul ev forum in Quebec who ordered in July 2014 will received his car this month... That's 11 months wait for the Luxe model. We bought a base model because we didn't need the Chademo we don't plan to get out of town with this car and in March we decided to go full Ev and we ordered a model S to replace our 2nd car.

Anyway the car is nice even without Chademo

Had a chance to use the Chademo charge port for the first time since I bought the vehicle back in December. I was down in the Hermosa Beach area, and actually had enough battery to make it back. But I thought I would do the Chademo charge since I have been meaning to try it for some time now. The charger is on the top floor of a parking structure right by the beach. NRG eVgo operates 3 chargers there: one level 2, one CCS, and one Chademo. I had just signed up with NRG a few hours earlier, so my info was in the system, but I had no RFID dongle to swipe. There is a separate ATM like machine where you can also presumably just swipe your CC and have at it. I called the 877 number on the Chademo machine, gave the guy my info and the station ID, and I was up and charging in short order. I actually pulled into the CCS stall first, not knowing that both fast chargers were not Chademo.

First Impressions: The cable used to connect is an absolute "Beast". Easily 2.5" to 3" in diameter. It took me a couple minutes to figure out how to get it connected to the car, then locked in. Had the same issue unlocking it. Arrived with I believe 53% charge, and when I left 19 minutes later, I was up to 83%. So maybe 28 miles in 20 minutes, versus 25 miles per hour at the level 2. Cost was a one time charge of $4.95 to join. Then $4.95 just for connecting, then $0.20 per minute ($4.00) for actual power. I signed up for the single usage plan versus any monthly plan because I'll probably never do this again. Rather pricey since 8Kw cost $8.95 versus even my expensive Pasadena power would have only been $1.92.

Lasting Impressions: Nothing unexpected here. The system actually worked. There is one Chademo charger at that location. If you really needed to use it to get somewhere, you would be out of luck if someone else were already using it. Payment system would be fine if I had the RFID dongle. Electrons are pricey. Completely unworkable if you actually need to use it to get somewhere, since there is only one charger. If I need to go anywhere that I can't get there and back from with a single charge, I simply use the Prius. Even if someone rolls out many dozens of Chademo chargers across the state, the network will pale in comparison to the Supercharger network. Anyone doing that is wasting their money. Tesla is the only company that has this figured out, and they figured it out 3 years ago. We all know this :cool:

IMG_20150623_180224985_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150623_180219451.jpg

IMG_20150623_180014603_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150623_181839165.jpg

@Rubbertoe - check out the Oregon portion of the West Coast Electric Highway:
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/OIPP/docs/ElectricHwyMapREV_4-15.pdf

Each of the green dots is typically a station with a chademo and a level 2 charger, so it suffers from the dynamic you identified - that if 2 chademo folks show up at a charger at the same time, there will be some waiting.

Bottom line is that chademo isn't as good as SC, but you can build a pretty functional network with it, and at least in Oregon / Washington, that's been done. Heck - if you can get out of California, you might find the road touring in your Kia Soul EV more friendly up here :)

Adiggs,
Very cool map, and also glad to see that they show the Tesla Supercharger network along with all the other chargers that are available. I'll comment more on this later, but we have some good news for all you (well, 3 maybe) Pacific Northwest Kia Soul EV Fanboys out there...

Kia announces 20 dealers in the Pacific Northwest will begin selling the Soul EV:

Kia Gears Up For Soul EV Launch In Washington Oregon

So, just a matter of a few months now until the Soul EV overtakes the Tesla Model S as the best selling EV in the country :tongue:

RT

The 2016 Kia Soul EV will have some minor changes. The primary change is the addition of a third, lower end model called the Soul EV-e. They are also adding a heat pump to the middle model that was previously the base model.

2016 Soul EV-e – $31,950
2016 Soul EV – $33,950
2016 Soul EV+ – $35,950, plus an additional $1,100 if you want the panoramic sunroof

Source: 2016 Soul Electric Vehicle Gets Lower Price, Panoramic Sunroof Option | Kia News Blog

FWIW...

I have a web page opened up thats the Kia Soul EV availability in the Atlanta area. Before the EV incentive went away, the numbers were changing a lot, down, down, down, up a bit, repeat. Indicative of vehicles being sold, then restocked. The last few days, the number has been stuck at 24. Looks like the incentive expiration pulled the demand forward as you would expect. Haven't checked around any of the Pacific NW dealers recently.

RT

The website now has the 2016 Soul EV information:

http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/soul-ev/2016

I wish the Canadian Kia site was updated...

I have a deposit on an inventory 2016 SoulEV Luxury edition with the panoramic roof, but I just want confirmation of what's included and what isn't. The dealership in Montreal doesn't have a pamphlet nor do they have a list of changes from 2015, and the Kia Canada website also doesn't have the info.

ARGH! :)

Is it true that the Kia Soul EV locks the J1772 handle to the car and doesn't automatically release when done? If so, is there an option to disable?

A Kia Soul EV showed up at my work but I don't know the (very new to EVs) driver and haven't mailed them yet. They added their car to the table (on an internal web page @ work) and made notes similar to the notes in their entry I made about the i3 and e-Golf, which have non-configurable J1772 handle locks. They remain locked like a parasite even when charging's complete and there's no way yet to alter their behavior (ala the 3 position switch on '13+ Leafs).

Last edited: