Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Knock off another $5k in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just read that Tesla is lowering their price for the SR- ?? to $44,999 to get under the $45k cap.

The car will be appropriately hobbled to about 150km such that the user can upgrade later.

Where I am in BC, that means a Model 3 now qualifies for a $10k discount ($5k province, $5k federal).

I guess we just got our 35k car here, but in Canadian pesos. No need to wait for tax refunds as it's up front.

If only I'd waited a month!! D'oh! They'd said Tesla would not qualify.

I can't really see why anyone would buy a fossil car, when the 3 can be had so inexpensively. I suppose it's a matter of education.

SR+ order April and delivery in May in QC $13000 off

badda-bing-badda-boom.jpg

UPDATE ON THE SR- (SR Minus!)

Here's the latest info after just getting off the phone with a nice gent at Tesla (prices for BC, Canada).

Chickens running around with heads cut off -- sets the stage.

The SR, which is actually the SR+ as we all know, no longer exists in the form it did yesterday (still must call in for it, I mean the new it).

Now when you ask about the SR, you'll be referring to the... I really wanna call it the SR Minus. Yes, the SR Minus.

It's actually yet another SR+, but will be software locked to 150km (~94 miles); I mean, if they ever get around to software locking.

SR- (44,999 + 1300)*1.12 = 51,854 - 10k = 41,854 | Of note, the prep/delivery is not included in the $44,999 price.

SR+ (55010)*1.13 = 62,161 - 10k = 52,161 | Of note, the prep/delivery is included in the $55,010 price (in BC it kicks in luxury tax by $11!)

-----------------------------------------------------

They said they are working on a solution for upgrading the SR minus. Eventually it will appear in one's account, but they need to confirm whether or not the government will come down on people who buy in $1 under then upgrade. Coz, you know, government. Loves giving billions to big oil each year, but handing out scraps to get people to not pollute is such a huge deal.

I suspect the $44,999 SR Minus will be an SR+ if they pull the same s41t they did with the old SR.

Unrelated but very annoying is that I purchased an SR+ 30 days ago. At that time the SR was a thing*, with very different hardware and some software changes. I was pushed to the SR+ due to this, yet now the 'old' SR is just an SR+ and I've yet to see one hobbled.

Also, they said Tesla would not qualify for the upcoming $5k rebate. With both of those points in mind, I bought the SR+.

Had I waited until now... I would have saved a, sob sob, very large amount of money, or spent it on FSD and not-black (about 10k lost in 30 days - thanks Tesla).

Please, someone use my referral code to stop me crying in the corner uncontrollably.

*=vapourware

(It helps! I live in a skycave with no plug)

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE ON THE SR- (SR Minus!)

Here's the latest info after just getting off the phone with a nice gent at Tesla (prices for BC, Canada).

Chickens running around with heads cut off -- sets the stage.

The SR, which is actually the SR+ as we all know, no longer exists in the form it did yesterday (still must call in for it, I mean the new it).

Now when you ask about the SR, you'll be referring to the... I really wanna call it the SR Minus. Yes, the SR Minus.

It's actually yet another SR+, but will be software locked to 150km (~94 miles); I mean, if they ever get around to software locking.

SR- (44,999 + 1300)*1.12 = 51,854 - 10k = 41,854 | Of note, the prep/delivery is not included in the $44,999 price.

SR+ (55010)*1.13 = 62,161 - 10k = 52,161 | Of note, the prep/delivery is included in the $55,010 price (in BC it kicks in luxury tax by $11!)

They said they are working on a solution for upgrading the SR minus. Eventually it will appear in one's account, but they need to confirm whether or not the government will come down on people who buy in $1 under then upgrade. Coz, you know, government. Loves giving billions to big oil each year, but handing out scraps to get people to not pollute is such a huge deal.

I suspect the $44,999 SR Minus will be an SR+ if they pull the same s41t they did with the old SR.

Unrelated but very annoying is that I purchased an SR+ 30 days ago. At that time the SR was a thing*, with very different hardware and some software changes. I was pushed to the SR+ due to this, yet now the 'old' SR is just an SR+ and I've yet to see one hobbled.

Also, they said Tesla would not qualify for the upcoming $5k rebate. With both of those points in mind, I bought the SR+.

Had I waited until now... I would have saved a, sob sob, very large amount of money, or spent it on FSD and not-black (about 10k lost in 30 days - thanks Tesla).

Please, someone use my referral code to stop me crying in the corner uncontrollably.

*=vapourware
You forgot to give your referral code......

I hate to say it but if they decontent the car to just under 45 then offer to sell the content back it is essentially fraud.

Can’t see them getting away with it

Absolutely not. That's like adding navigation to a vehicle after delivery.... Just like the P100D It is now offered at a lower discounted price. After purchase you can also add Lubricious for extra and not pay the luxury tax on 20k. Makes perfect sense business wise.

I just read that Tesla is lowering their price for the SR- ?? to $44,999 to get under the $45k cap.

The car will be appropriately hobbled to about 150km such that the user can upgrade later.

Where I am in BC, that means a Model 3 now qualifies for a $10k discount ($5k province, $5k federal).

I guess we just got our 35k car here, but in Canadian pesos. No need to wait for tax refunds as it's up front.

If only I'd waited a month!! D'oh! They'd said Tesla would not qualify.

I can't really see why anyone would buy a fossil car, when the 3 can be had so inexpensively. I suppose it's a matter of education.
Allot of people think the 3 looks terrible, has a terrible interior and is an appliance car. I have been told this over and over and over and over again.

Touche Canada! I love it haha

Deep down Tesla doesn’t give a $&@ about people getting rebates they just want to make money which is why a bunch of us bought standard plus in the past few months and got screwed into paying an extra $2700 over standard for heated seats and a few km of range.

They realized the price was too low so now the base price in Canada is now up to 55100, with Autopilot standard.

You really think they will deliver cars for 10k less in hopes you will pay the 10k later?

Lets wait and see

I hate to say it but if they decontent the car to just under 45 then offer to sell the content back it is essentially fraud.

Can’t see them getting away with it

It's the Canadian government's fault for making a completely idiotic threshold which is based on the "base model price". They could have based it on the actual sales price, or even the MSRP for the specific model. They chose not to in order to try to exclude Tesla. Tesla responded logically.

Obviously the Canadian government can always change their rules to something sane, but in the meantime, the courts are gonna give Tesla the thumbs up.

Anyone who buys the CAD $44,999 (+$1300) model will get their software-locked model.

And to be clear, Tesla will make a profit on it. This translates (including the dest + doc fee) to $34448 in USD. We know that Tesla sells $35000 (+1000 dest+doc fee) cars in the US at a profit (though not much of one).
Munro, after doing the teardown, thought the cost of production was under $30,000 (actually he thought it was under $28700), though he may have underestimated and you really do have to add $1000-$2000 for the cost of delivery and paperwork. So I'm pretty sure Tesla has a marginal cost (including dest + doc costs etc) of less than the price of the Canadian SR-. Gross margins on it will be low, but it's a real, profitable model.

Last edited:
It's the Canadian government's fault for making a completely idiotic threshold which is based on the "base model price". They could have based it on the actual sales price, or even the MSRP for the specific model. They chose not to in order to try to exclude Tesla. Tesla responded logically.

Obviously the Canadian government can always change their rules to something sane, but in the meantime, the courts are gonna give Tesla the thumbs up.

Anyone who buys the CAD $44,999 (+$1300) model will get their software-locked model.

And to be clear, Tesla will make a profit on it. This translates (including the dest + doc fee) to $34448 in USD. We know that Tesla sells $35000 (+1000 dest+doc fee) cars in the US at a profit (though not much of one).
Munro, after doing the teardown, thought the cost of production was under $30,000 (actually he thought it was under $28700), though he may have underestimated and you really do have to add $1000-$2000 for the cost of delivery and paperwork. So I'm pretty sure Tesla has a marginal cost (including dest + doc costs etc) of less than the price of the Canadian SR-. Gross margins on it will be low, but it's a real, profitable model.

"Anyone who buys the CAD $44,999 (+$1300) model will get their software-locked model."
^

That is incorrect. I bought the sr plus 385 km i will not have the software locked. My base price is $44 999 they just added rwd separately so we can still get the rebate.