Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Known working voice commands?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have both the phone and car bluetooth settings set as described.
Besides, no good app should freeze a console due to user action, regardless of action.
And, it makes no sense that the card needs to be tapped twice to send a message. Very distracting. Just pushing the wheel button and commanding 'send' should send it.

Needs further development.

Gotta be a bug, but then I kept saying that if the windows were under the control of the car they would have been available from the app for a LONG time, and then BOOM they release the Vent control. Geez.

I mean, is there ANY heat coming from the wheel?
Actually no heat, but is it possible that it will in the future, do the steering wheel have heating elements already in it?

Most commands in the master list now work for me with 50.7 installed. I tried about 40. I have a LR single motor with premium package installed.
The ones that don't work tell me the command is not supported yet.
But, I do frequently have to try the command twice to get it recognized, I get the old card with all the suggested things to try. the old message. When I toggle a second time, it listens and reacts. Weird - didn't used to do that, and I haven't lost my voice>.
Also, texting now working reliably, although I don't plan to leave this active. It's too distracting to get a chime and a message saying you have a text, while driving. Then need to tap card to get the message. This seems a counterintuitive design, and unsafe at that.

Also, had a weird situation yesterday. Partial bluetooth connection failure. When I tried to summons in my garage, I got a connection error message. But, I could lock/unlock doors, trunk, charge port. Tried two different cell phones to be sure problem was not with my phone. Same result.
Went away after I rebooted.

Let's remember we are all beta testers if we received 50.7 recently. Turn off the early adopter setting in software sub-menu if you want code to bake a bit before it gets installed....

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
texting now working reliably, although I don't plan to leave this active. It's too distracting to get a chime and a message saying you have a text, while driving. Then need to tap card to get the message.
Don't tap the card, just click the right roller button on the steering wheel. Click it again to reply. But goD help you if you get a text with a URL in it:

"h t t p s : / / tesla motors club . com / t m c / threads / known - working - voice - commands . 1 1 2 1 3 6 / page - 6 # post - 4 3 6 3 3 5 4"

GACK, shut up! There needs to be a way to STOP it reading, or have it be more intelligent about what it is reading.

Last edited:
Don't tap the card, just click the right roller button on the steering wheel. Click it again to reply. But goD help you if you get a text with a URL in it:
"h t t p s : / / tesla motors club . com / t m c / threads / known - working - voice - commands . 1 1 2 1 3 6 / page - 6 # post - 4 3 6 3 3 5 4"
GACK, shut up! There needs to be a way to STOP it reading, or have it be more intelligent about what it is reading.
I heard that URL dictation on a YT video about the texting. I had the same thought. I hope people are writing in to Tesla about that. They need to skip it or say "U R L" with "maybe" the domain as well (if it can be pronounced?) "Tesla Motor Club" in above example.

[ Edit for end of 2019 ] Tesla massively expanded voice commands with 2019.40.50 release.
The community is amassing a list here:
V10.2 Tesla Voice Commands

Here was the limited set of voice commands known to work with previous releases:

===NAVIGATE===
"Navigate to <place>"
“Where is the nearest Starbucks?”
"Drive to the Kettleman City Supercharger"
"Take me to a movie theater"
“Drive home” (if you configured a home address)
"Navigate to work" (if you configured a work address)
"Cancel Trip"
"Cancel Navigation"

===PHONE===
“Call <name>”
"Dial <name>"

===MUSIC=== ( It searches the streaming music services. )
“Play <song/artist/genre>”
“Play Smooth Jazz”
"Listen to Rolling Stones"

===MISC===
“bug report” (then describe the problem.)
"ho ho ho" (activates Santa mode easter egg.)
Thanks for doing this!

The voice controls need to learn phonetics. I have several people in my family with differently spelled names. For example my niece is Kayli. When I tell the car to "Text Kayli" it types out "Text Kaylee" on the screen, then says contact not found and pulls up the contact list where I have to pick manually. Seems like it would be relatively easy to use some sort of phonetic matching to pick the proper contact. Siri and Alexa both are able to do it just fine.

Reactions: ediflyer
The voice controls need to learn phonetics. I have several people in my family with differently spelled names. For example my niece is Kayli. When I tell the car to "Text Kayli" it types out "Text Kaylee" on the screen, then says contact not found and pulls up the contact list where I have to pick manually. Seems like it would be relatively easy to use some sort of phonetic matching to pick the proper contact. Siri and Alexa both are able to do it just fine.
Use first and last names which works much better. Even is it doesn't get the first name the combo helps narrow it down.

Reactions: Aellinsar
it works because they put it in there for some reason. :)

she found it by mistake because it misinterpreted her saying "ho ho ho" for "hole hole hole" and the glove box popped open. we experimented and found that just "hole hole" would make it work.

Sometimes the voice recognition amazes me.

In South Texas, there is a dominant supermarket chain called HEB. HEB is the initials of an early founder, Howard Edward Butt, Sr. For a while the stores were called H. E. Butt, but later changed to just HEB.

Being the silly boy that I am, I call the stores "itchy butt", in honor of H. E. Butt. I always have.

The other day I told the car to "navigate to itchy butt grocery".

I nearly wet myself when it brought up a list of HEB stores.
Old message but still relevant. I thought I'd bring it up to date:

IMG_2066.jpg