Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Knox City aka Westfield Knox EV charger - Melbourne

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried to use this charger today (not on plugshare), but it wouldn't plug in. Plug seemed to hit something. Same for both plugs. Took a photo of the plug, it looks like a standard type 2 plug. Think I have seen Teslas charging here in the past, but both spots were empty this time (maybe an indication of a problem). Any ideas?

1694397168715.png

This one?
Look alike it should just plugin, no app needed.
And other model Ss have been able to use it recently.

Nothing that looks obvious to me. Maybe should retry sometime, and spend a bit longer trying to work out what is going on.

It is an older (2016) Model S, but can't see why that should matter.
I have seen where the internal contact surface of the female plug breaks off and gets left on one of the pins of the charging port of the car. In that case the owner could charge with the charge connector which has given up part of its plug and it prevents insertion of any other plug. Can you take a picture of your cars charging port?

• Helpful
Reactions: RichardV
I have seen where the internal contact surface of the female plug breaks off and gets left on one of the pins of the charging port of the car. In that case the owner could charge with the charge connector which has given up part of its plug and it prevents insertion of any other plug. Can you take a picture of your cars charging port?
We did have to replace our wall charger recently, because one of the pins on the plug was busted (outer plastic vanished and inner contact surface vanished leaving only the non-springy metal part), which resulted in a dodgy connection. We have no idea why/when this happened, or where the missing bits ended up.

But the new plug fits fine without any dramas. And I inspected the socket (as well as Dad), and didn't see anything wrong. Also car was recently in for service and Tesla successfully charged it. Will inspect & photograph it when light tomorrow just to be sure.

Possibly my use of terminology is incorrect. I was using plug to refer to the thing that goes into the car, and socket for the thing on car. What should I call each thing?

I have attached photos of the thing on my car. To me, it looks like the tip of a pin is missing. Huh? But nothing that would should stop a "plug" from being connected.

I also attached a (slightly blurry) photo of the end of my old wall charger, which I no longer use. Am guessing that damage from one side caused damage on the other side, but not sure which one happened first.

Car is booked for service by Tesla on Friday, probably should get them to look at this. No doubt they will say it needs to be replaced...

EDIT: 2nd photo was blurry, replaced with better photo.

Attachments

• 1694476057129.png
    1694476057129.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 1694476856933.png
    1694476856933.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 48
Possibly my use of terminology is incorrect. I was using plug to refer to the thing that goes into the car, and socket for the thing on car. What should I call each thing?
For me the plug is what you hold and the socket is what you insert the plug into.
The pins (AKA charging pins) are in the socket and are of different sizes - especially the top two
The pins seems to be intact.
There are no pins in the plug - just sleeves.

Have you tried another charging cable?

I have attached photos of the thing on my car. To me, it looks like the tip of a pin is missing. Huh? But nothing that would should stop a "plug" from being connected.

I also attached a (slightly blurry) photo of the end of my old wall charger, which I no longer use. Am guessing that damage from one side caused damage on the other side, but not sure which one happened first.

Car is booked for service by Tesla on Friday, probably should get them to look at this. No doubt they will say it needs to be replaced...

EDIT: 2nd photo was blurry, replaced with better photo.
Looking closely at the picture of your charging port, the pin on the right hand side of the middle row appears different and the corresponding pin on the charge connector plug, also appears different. I believe this is the source of your problem and that a part of the plug has transferred to your cars charging port.
in any case Tesla will be able to determine on Friday, but your likely up for a new charge connector, possibly more.

Yes, to me, both the plug and the charging port looked damaged. To me, the pin on the port looks like it is missing the tip. Maybe this combined with the charger at Knox being slightly out of alignment, means the socket is banging into the flat part of the pin, which really shouldn't be a flat.

No sign anywhere of the missing parts. I think they are long since gone. Along with any evidence as to what on earth happened to this pin in the first place. If parts transferred to the charging port, this would have stopped other chargers from fitting, and this didn't happen. And if parts went flying when removing the plug, would have thought it would be noticeable.

Tesla have agreed to look at this on Friday. For a fee of $29.70. Fingers crossed the port won't need to be replaced, but somewhat skeptical.

Tesla said that there was debris in the plug, which my have been the reason for the tip missing, and recommended that the charge port on the car be replaced. At just over $800. But small in comparison, the brake pads need replacing and and tires need replacing also.

Reactions: Quickst