Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kwik Fit Mobile Fitting - Unable to Jack Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I’d be interested if anyone has had similar experience of this.

I ordered CrossClimate 2’s for my M3LR via kwik fit mobile fitting (£600 all in).

The chap arrived yesterday to fit the tires - first thing he asked was “do you have the pucks, and your wheels brand new? Let’s keep them that way!”. Great first impression considering mixed reviews about kwik fit in general. I’m keen to look after the car as much as possible as most other forum members are too.

Trouble is, once the pucks were installed in the car neither of his jacks could get low enough to raise the car! How frustrating. In the end he said he wouldn’t be comfortable jacking up the car without them so we decided not to go for it without the pucks. I now have to use one of their ramps at a local centre.

I’d be keen to hear if anyone else has had similar experience? It’s a shame they don’t just have lower jacks - perhaps it’s just what his van had rather than the fleet. I can’t say enough good things about the fitter though - he was on the ball and even knew the torque settings were a little higher than normal.

I had my cross climates put on with a mobile fitter last month, was an independent one through black circles. Guy came and had pucks of his own and despite telling me it was only the 4th Tesla he had ever done seemed to know what he was doing. He also jacked up a whole side at a time rather than the front or back first saying that's how it should be done for Tesla's. Aslo knew the torque settings were on the high side for Tesla's

Can just assume you were unlucky with the jacks that were in the van, as all the pucks seem pretty much the same to be honest.

I've had a couple of experiences; the local garage just got some wooden wedges and asked me to drive up onto them to get the jack under the car. I've also had a garage use some large airbags under the jack points, which worked well.

I had the same problem last month thanks to a puncture. Mobile fitting from Tyres on the Drive (Halfords) and the chap had the same issue with insufficient clearance due to the jack and the pucks. Luckily he had a set of ramps (similar to what Liquidv posted above) which got around the issue

I had my Leaf tyres replaced by Kwik Fit. I realised a few days afterwards that they had inflated one of the tyres to 54 PSI, not 34 as it should have been. Didn't explode but could have done easily.

I found the same issue but discovered that the round metal bit on the end of the jack just lifted out which gained me a few cm and then the jack pad just sat on the flat metal piece underneath
1638544337005.jpeg

When I had my tyres changed the same thing happened and the guy got a colleague to stand with his back to the wheel arch reach behind grip it with both hands and lift to raise the body a couple of cm!!!!!!
They had already done is successfully by the time I realised what they were doing otherwise I would have had a word. Fortunately it appears no harm was done. Well I say that. The next day the parking brake seized on one side and the car was trailered to a service centre. No idea whether that was co-incidence or not...

Reactions: Bodger
Hi. I had exactly the same experience with kwik Fit. I have the posh magnetic pucks (hope they will work on the Y). Not enough clearance to get under. He said technically he should walk away, but he had ramps which were used. He wasn’t supposed to use them though.

Reactions: Bodger
Hi there. For anyone interested in how this was resolved, the plot thickened when I got to Kwik Fit's service centre...

When I was there they quickly realised their jacks were the same height (although a different type) as the mobile fitters. So I wasn't any better off :rolleyes:

Taking some of the feedback from above I asked them if we could put anything down for the car to drive on to - essentially some small pads, say 1-2" thick were placed in front of all 4 wheels and I drove the car up on to them. This created enough room for jack + pad to get under the car.

What I would say though, is although the fitters at this Kwik Fit were nice and accommodated an overly enthusiastic Tesla owner :), they were completely unaware of the risks associated with jacking these cars, and didn't know about the specific point on the car where it was to be jacked. If I sat in the waiting room the tyres would have been swapped out and they would have just got on with the usual procedure. I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't spent hours on forums or reading the owners manual front to back if they are ever on the receiving end of a damaged battery because the industry isn't keeping up with knowledge and understanding of EV's or car specific requirements. Oh, and they inflated the tyres to the absolute max pressure rating which I only realised whilst driving home. I quickly reset these back to 42 psi, but it is frustrating having to even think about it (I told them to put in 42 psi).

Hi all. I’d be interested if anyone has had similar experience of this.

I ordered CrossClimate 2’s for my M3LR via kwik fit mobile fitting (£600 all in).

The chap arrived yesterday to fit the tires - first thing he asked was “do you have the pucks, and your wheels brand new? Let’s keep them that way!”. Great first impression considering mixed reviews about kwik fit in general. I’m keen to look after the car as much as possible as most other forum members are too.

Trouble is, once the pucks were installed in the car neither of his jacks could get low enough to raise the car! How frustrating. In the end he said he wouldn’t be comfortable jacking up the car without them so we decided not to go for it without the pucks. I now have to use one of their ramps at a local centre.

I’d be keen to hear if anyone else has had similar experience? It’s a shame they don’t just have lower jacks - perhaps it’s just what his van had rather than the fleet. I can’t say enough good things about the fitter though - he was on the ball and even knew the torque settings were a little higher than normal.
I had a similar experience with national tyres. The mobile fitter didn't have jack low enough to go under the car, so had to go the their garage. They had a jack that worked there, but wasted 3 hours becuse of that.

A few years ago I had my tyres replaced by Tyres on the Drive (before I had a Tesla) and the "jack" he had was basically like a big pillow that just went under the car and blew up. I suspect this would be fine for a Tesla?

In 6 years of Tesla ownership and hanging around various forums i can’t recall 1 case where the car or battery has been damaged by a tyre fitter getting it wrong. I’ve just tried a google and the only case I can see worldwide was where a Tesla repair truck allegedly did it. I’m not saying it can’t happen if they’re really stupid but surely we’d have lots of examples if this was a issue?