Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

L or no L?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO, if you see the value in P, L looks more attractive. Form S to P you pay $20K, from P to PL you pay $10K but get similar increase in performance (actually higher hp increase). That said, as others have pointed out, you will feel it mostly >30mph.

One thing to note, lately the P90D's can be upgraded to L with nothing more than a software update. A friend of mine here had a P90D Insane which he imported recently and we had a ranger fly out and upgrade it to Ludicrous with nothing more than a laptop and an underscore which he stuck on the back...older P90D's needed more hardware so I'm told

Hi Everyone,

I'm really close to ordering a P90D. I'm unsure if I want to add the line below the P90D or not. While in the grand scheme of things another 10k is just another 10k, but it's starting to hit the point where i'm questioning if I need it.

Actually it's only $8 to add the underline :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

My thinking is correct though that the p90d without the L will launch just like the p85d? It would be insane mode and not ludicrous correct?

Both are identical up to 30 MPH. The L is 10% more power at every speed above 30 MPH. 15% more current, but extra voltage drop puts it at 10% more power. Still a noticeable for highway speed acceleration.

One thing to note, lately the P90D's can be upgraded to L with nothing more than a software update. A friend of mine here had a P90D Insane which he imported recently and we had a ranger fly out and upgrade it to Ludicrous with nothing more than a laptop and an underscore which he stuck on the back...older P90D's needed more hardware so I'm told

Whoa .. .can anyone else confirm this report? Ames: when was the P90 built, and for what market?

You have to buy what you are going to be happy with. Tell your Sales Advisor and request test drives of the 90D P90D and P90DL. They should be able to accommodate you, especially after you have a deposit down. We did this, got an over-night with a P90DL and upgraded our order from a 90D to the Ludicrous and haven't looked back.

Now I can turn Ludicrous off whenever I don't want it--which is never.

You have to buy what you are going to be happy with. Tell your Sales Advisor and request test drives of the 90D P90D and P90DL. They should be able to accommodate you, especially after you have a deposit down. We did this, got an over-night with a P90DL and upgraded our order from a 90D to the Ludicrous and haven't looked back.

Now I can turn Ludicrous off whenever I don't want it--which is never.

+1...

I like the new SW that will let you play with the various drive modes. It's pretty cool to be able to turn off AWD/L and see how differently the car drives.

Can anyone else confirm that the suspension is now the same on all the cars?

Speaking as someone who had only owned low-power, Japanese economy cars (a Scion and a Honda), the difference between 3.1 and 2.8 seconds from 0 to 60 doesn't seem like it's worth the added $10,000. If you don't mind paying that much extra, however, I say go for it.

ySRVLqj.jpg

Yup. Depends on how much extra money you have. Even the Performance 90D gets passe, especially if you don't have enough nearby hotrod friends to show off to. I chose for distance, and every mile I drive, it's worth it.

I'll +1 this kind of thinking. I have an early P85, and love it. Launch it daily. Floor it often. 0-60 in 4.2 is already very fast, by any reasonable definition of the term. Yes, there are a few high-end cars that can outrun me... but not many. I can run neck-and-neck with a BMW M5, while embarrassing a Prius's green cred. It's just a great car, with no guilt penalty as has been mentioned.

But to me, the "regular" Teslas have gotten fast enough to where the P, and especially the L, are just too much. Would I enjoy them? Sure! But a regular 90D is just as quick as my P85, and for less money. For my next S or X, I'll take a top-of-the-line non-Performance car and pocket some serious change, then upgrade my car more often with a lower depreciation penalty. It's not just a "performance versus cost" thing, there are other benefits to a lower sticker price.

Speaking as someone who had only owned low-power, Japanese economy cars (a Scion and a Honda), the difference between 3.1 and 2.8 seconds from 0 to 60 doesn't seem like it's worth the added $10,000. If you don't mind paying that much extra, however, I say go for it.

It's not the 0-60 improvement I paid for. It's the 70-90 passing improvement that improved by over 1/2 second (just over 3 dow to 2.5) a 20% improvement.

Last edited:
My thought process was "well, if I'm spending $130k, I might as well spend $140k." Obviously not a trivial amount of money in any case... but especially when financing, an extra $200 on the payment every month seems like it might be worth it for the extra fun. :)

If it's $200/mo of a difference... You could probably spend $200/mo on a monthly trip to cedar point and ride top thrill dragster for insane acceleration that even a tesla can't produce (0-120 in 3.8 seconds).

Haha, fair, but you can't drive a rollercoaster ;)

The forces involved in a roller coaster often make it difficult for you to maintain control of your limbs such that if you had a car that accelerated that fast... losing control at that rate of acceleration is a very real possibility. (Ignoring mechanical problems that kind of acceleration yields)...

Then also:

word of warning, i have L but im already growing desensitized to its brutality...still CRAZY fun, though.

Adrenaline rushes build tolerances just like any other drug (adrenaline is a drug after all, just one your body naturally produces)...

So in my mind ludicrous mode is just paying for the convenience of having it readily available at any given moment if you want... which can be useful to spice up some long-distance road trips I guess, but at this point it's personal preference.

If I had the necessary cash flow to afford such a feature, I'm kind of on the fence as to whether or not I'd get it... I'd have to experience the acceleration of standard mode and compare... More than likely though standard mode is already way above and beyond what anyone really needs to get the same adrenaline rush.