Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA times article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a prospective model 3 buyer and ran into this LA times article:

Good news: Your Tesla Model 3 is finally ready. Bad news: It may take weeks to get it serviced

Good news: Your Tesla Model 3 is finally ready. Bad news: It may take weeks to get it serviced

I wanted to see what everyone's opinion's of this article and if any of what they have said is really valid....

Thanks
Didn't bother to read. It's by Russ Mitchell. He's got a long list of Tesla hit pieces.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV and tracksyde
Welcome to the forum ebmcs03,

I avoided this article earlier today, but decided to read it after your post. Having just spent a miserable full day yesterday dealing with my wife's Toyota getting serviced, I am optimistic that Tesla has a better model. Will there be some growing pains? Yes. But my overall thoughts sitting in that Toyota service waiting room (oil change) and waiting for the manager and tech to get done fighting over what constitutes an over-sized tire balance rate on my stock Sequoia really opened my eyes to the disruption getting ready to occur.

Reactions: Pkmmte and DR61
I'm a prospective model 3 buyer and ran into this LA times article:

I wanted to see what everyone's opinion's of this article and if any of what they have said is really valid....

Thanks
I found out today that there is some validity to the article. I own a 2014 Model S P85 and love it. I also have an order in for AWD M3 (non P). I have been very impressed with the Highland Park, IL Service Center as they have always been very accommodating and went the extra mile to be sure I was satisfied.

Unfortunately I was involved in an accident in my S on Friday. I just talked to the body shop (Tesla recommended) and they said they thought it would be a minimum of 3 months to get my car fixed. They cannot get parts fromTesla as there is a shortage. Recently they say many or the Tesla’s they have worked on have taken 2-4 months to get parts. I am hoping that they are just preparing me for the worst case scenario. It does seem like the problem is real. It is probably a function of most resources are being focused on getting Model 3 production ramped up.

I would not let that stop you from buying the M3. I think the problem is short lived and once they are out of “production hell”. Things will go back to normal.

Reactions: Arpe and hiroshiy
What that article does is, take an element of truth, exaggerate and spin it as if it is the norm. Yes there have been horror stories of waiting for parts and appointments on these forums. But that is what forums do - a place where people with complaints readily come and share their poor experiences and look for solution. I think in Norway the problem is very severe.

Tesla should ramp up their service centers, no doubt. The intent of that article is to create fear in prospective buyers by exaggerating the situation. And it appears the author has done a good job of it.

I have owned a Model S for two years and a Model 3 now. I have had to take the Model S for a door handle problem, which was fixed the very next day. Model 3 has been running without any issues with 4k miles on it now.

Electric cars don’t need servicing.
Tells that to Model S owners. I am happy that the Model 3 has much less scheduled maintenance.
This article seems fair to me. Tesla DOES have a big problem with their parts supply and they do require more repairs than other car companies. They do seem to make constant improvements though as evidenced by how much Model S reliability has improved over the years. The earlier 3's seem to have had their fair share of problems. It seems like the latest ones are much improved.

I logged on to my Tesla page today and the next available service appointment for my Model S is Tuesday morning. A far cry from weeks away.

Body shop parts are a different matter but in the case of cosmetic damage I’ve successfully convinced the insurance company to pay the body shop to reassemble my car and let me drive it while the parts are on order. It saves money over a rental car for that extended time period.

The biggest issue in service dept seems to be parts availability. Yes the service centers are swamped especially at the end of quarters, but there are at least approved body shops worldwide (even in Japan too), but once there's something that needs to be changed, service centers and independent body shops rely on Tesla HQ to get parts. In Japan it seems many parts are out of stock and wait time exceeds 3 months. Also, I was told that there's very little salvage support from Tesla, lowering the value of the salvaged, hence less second hand parts availability.

My Model 3 has been at the body shop since June 8. Four parts are still outstanding with no estimate on when they will be available. As much as I love the car, I’m having serious regrets about buying it. I’m worried about the next time I’ll need repairs or parts.