Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lack of EV Incentives in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not use posting on an EV forum that EVs need a purchase incentive in Australia, its best you get on the email and contact every politician you can think on and tell the politician, and I'll put this in capitals, ITS GOOD FOR THEM POLITICALLY, for instance EVs reduce air pollution that in turn massively reduces health costs, and secondly an EV charges from local power, ICE vehicles are fuelled from imported oil, as a country we have a major issue with fuel storage, energy security is a big issue that needs urgent attention.
Did you know that Matt Kean, the NSW Environment and Energy Minister, has a Model 3 as his official Government vehicle? Apparently the first ever politician here to do so:

"Best car I've ever driven": NSW energy minister's new car is Tesla Model 3

It's a start!!

And while Malcolm Turnbull drives a Model S, it's his private vehicle, it was not his official government vehicle.

Canberra’s rEVolution | ACT Greens

The ACT Greens plan tackles this price barrier with:

• A $28.5 million fund for subsidies of up to $10,000 for individual ACT residents to purchase a zero emission car or motorbike. Half of this amount will be a direct subsidy, and half will be a no interest loan.
  • A $10 million grants scheme for community and not-for-profit service organisations to purchase suitable zero emissions passenger vehicles or commercial vehicles.
  • A $10 million grants fund for local business to purchase zero emissions commercial vehicles.
  • $3 million will be made available for businesses, body corporates and community organisations to apply for financial assistance to install charging infrastructure at their premises.

Canberra’s rEVolution | ACT Greens

The ACT Greens plan tackles this price barrier with:

• A $28.5 million fund for subsidies of up to $10,000 for individual ACT residents to purchase a zero emission car or motorbike. Half of this amount will be a direct subsidy, and half will be a no interest loan.
  • A $10 million grants scheme for community and not-for-profit service organisations to purchase suitable zero emissions passenger vehicles or commercial vehicles.
  • A $10 million grants fund for local business to purchase zero emissions commercial vehicles.
  • $3 million will be made available for businesses, body corporates and community organisations to apply for financial assistance to install charging infrastructure at their premises.
Does their policy mention which taxpayers the money is coming from?

Does their policy mention which taxpayers the money is coming from?

Which tax payers are paying for all subsidies for our lovely big polluters?

Tax-based subsidies - Market Forces

And we all get up in arms about subsidising anything that would help increase adoption of EVs, or even discuss charging EV owners a per km charge to use the roads...man on man let’s get this all in perspective....stop subsidising the big polluters, or at least play fair and subsidise renewals/EV adoption to the same degree....

Last edited:
Which tax payers are paying for all subsidies for our lovely big polluters?

Tax-based subsidies - Market Forces

And we all get up in arms about subsidising anything that would help increase adoption of EVs, or even discuss charging EV owners a per km charge to use the roads...man on man let’s get this all in perspective....stop subsidising the big polluters, or at least play fair and subsidise renewals/EV adoption to the same degree....
That wasnt my point. I’m more than happy for greens or any other party to make all the policies they want, but I’m also keen to know the impacts of any policy on taxpayers and how it will be negated. If its by removing other subsidies from dirty industry than include that in the policy.

That wasnt my point. I’m more than happy for greens or any other party to make all the policies they want, but I’m also keen to know the impacts of any policy on taxpayers and how it will be negated. If its by removing other subsidies from dirty industry than include that in the policy.

It would also shine a light on how we are subsidising the fossil fuels industry. I’m not even talking about a carbon tax (which should be done) I’m talking about direct ways we are funding the dirty industries you speak of. We should be punitively penalising dirty industries and using that money to find green initiatives.

Doesn’t matter. They aren’t the government and they won’t be. They can promise the world and it should be given due consideration by the voters, who will inevitably say no at the upcoming territory election.
Doesn’t matter. They aren’t the government and they won’t be. They can promise the world and it should be given due consideration by the voters, who will inevitably say no at the upcoming territory election.

They ARE the Australian Capital Territory government, the Greens hold the balance of power. Most decisions in politics involves back room negotiations, $50 million is peanuts for deal makers.