Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lag in "off the line" acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've experienced the issue even when I am first in line at a stop light. I'm not sure if it has something to do with being side-by-side with other vehicles. When I had the feature enabled, most of the time it would not activate without cars in front of me. It would just surprise me on those few occasions when it did slow the acceleration.

Don't forget about traction control. The model 3 won't give you any wheel spin, unlike most cars. So that lag could just be power limiting until traction is established.

Even on the P3 there's been no improvement in measured acceleration even when people swapped to wider/stickier tires (like from the aeros to 265 width PS4S tires)- the car isn't traction limited.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
It isn't traction limited on clean/dry pavement. That is hardly a guarantee on any random street.

I suppose if you're drag racing during a flood that could be an issue... otherwise not so much.

(You could also mention snow I guess- but I don't think you're gonna have much luck doing that with summer performance tires)

But by all means if you can show any random/real world street conditions where stickier tires make any 0-60 difference on any Model 3- let's see the data....because right now it appears the amount of acceleration is electronically limited to make that not be the case even on the P3D, let alone the "slower" models.

I suppose if you're drag racing during a flood that could be an issue... otherwise not so much.

(You could also mention snow I guess- but I don't think you're gonna have much luck doing that with summer performance tires)

But by all means if you can show any random/real world street conditions where stickier tires make any 0-60 difference on any Model 3- let's see the data....because right now it appears the amount of acceleration is electronically limited to make that not be the case even on the P3D, let alone the "slower" models.
I didn't say anything about changing tires. Just that it's entirely possible to have power limited from a stop due to road conditions. It's happened to me plenty of times, just takes a little bit of sand.

During my first year of ownership, I was visiting a farmers market and while exiting their gravel lot trying to make a right turn, my car wouldn't move when I tried to go. My focus was to the left looking for traffic and when I backed up a few feet I noticed a large well camouflaged bolder immediately to the right front of the car. That feature saved me some grief. I would never turn it off.

On vacation we rented a Toyota Highlander. Drove to a restaurant where I parked in front of a fairly large "boulder" rock that was in the middle of the parking lot. Probably 4 feet in diameter. When we returned several hours later I forgot it was there and the mass of the SUV hid it. Drove right into to. That ruined the day for sure.

How about a simple visual warning on the screen to the effect of ‘Object detected. Limited acceleration available’. That way when I am at the lights about to smoke a 911 I know it’s detected something and can play it cool instead! Even better next to the warning on the screen an option to temporarily disable the feature so that you can still smoke the 911 without having to go into the menus

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki and Adam3
How about a simple visual warning on the screen to the effect of ‘Object detected. Limited acceleration available’. That way when I am at the lights about to smoke a 911 I know it’s detected something and can play it cool instead! Even better next to the warning on the screen an option to temporarily disable the feature so that you can still smoke the 911 without having to go into the menus
That's an excellent idea. Needs to be tweeted to Elon to make it happen,

I have had a RWD M3 since Feb 2018. I absolutely love the car. But, over the past 5 months or so, I have noticed an intermittent lag in acceleration when taking off from traffic lights. It was definitely not there for the first 6 months or so.

Basically, when pushing the accelerator (from a stop) fairly aggressively, the car will just roll at about 5 mph for 1-2 seconds before applying the requested power and then accelerating quickly. It does feel artificial, as if the car is limiting the power for some reason. But, then at the next stop, it might accelerate immediately as expected, with no lag. The difference is very noticeable, especially when used to the immediate response. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, as far as temperature, start of drive, etc.

I admit that I like spirited driving and love to take advantage of the M3 quick acceleration. What concerns me is the problem is very intermittent. I may notice it just a couple times per day. I don' have "chill" mode enabled or anything like that.

I have had service look into it. But, they were not able to reproduce the issue, and had never seen this issue before. I will probably make another appointment as I have seen it more often in the past week. I suspect it might be a bad sensor of some sort that limits the power (i.e. traction control).

Has anyone else encountered this issue before?

My car does the same thing - sometimes - it hesitates when I accelerate from stop with cars on either side of me but nothing in front. I will turn off obstacle aware acceleration and see if that helps. Thanks everyone!

Any recent learnings on this one? Happens fairly often when I drive my wife’s 2017 3 even at the front of the line at lights. She says she has no idea as to what I’m talking about as she doesn’t umm… exercise the accelerator pedal like I do. I’ll go turn that setting off and see if I can reproduce. Of course, I don’t have to worry about any such lag in my trusty S! 😀

It’s the obstacle aware acceleration as noted in this thread. Happened to me once leaving a toll booth with concrete barriers on both sides. I had read the manual and had an idea what it could be. Immediately turned it off and never looked back. I did the driving before these cars and will continue to do the driving for a long while so I want to be in charge of when and how much acceleration is taking place 😉

Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla