Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane changes in autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can use just traffic aware cruise control if that's what you'd prefer. You can then steer the car manually. I assume that is still available in the newest cars.

Those with Navigate on Autopilot, part of the FSD package, can turn that off and eliminate all automatic lane changes while leaving Autosteer active. You can initiate an automatic lane change by Autosteer by using the turn signal. Autosteer by itself (NoA off) only changes lanes when you signal for it (with the FSD package). I use NoA with the setting that requires manual confirmations of lane changes, which also eliminates automatic lane changes. NoA still suggests wacky lane changes, I just don't confirm them, so there's no signaling and no lane change.

No need to use features you don't like.

You can use just traffic aware cruise control if that's what you'd prefer. You can then steer the car manually. I assume that is still available in the newest cars.

Those with Navigate on Autopilot, part of the FSD package, can turn that off and eliminate all automatic lane changes while leaving Autosteer active. You can initiate an automatic lane change by Autosteer by using the turn signal. Autosteer by itself (NoA off) only changes lanes when you signal for it (with the FSD package). I use NoA with the setting that requires manual confirmations of lane changes, which also eliminates automatic lane changes. NoA still suggests wacky lane changes, I just don't confirm them, so there's no signaling and no lane change.

No need to use features you don't like.
The advanced beta FSD eliminates confirmation of lane changes. Like I say, on a clear 4 lane road, it changes lanes to the left constantly. The only way to stop it is to turn off FSD, and just use cruise control. I never want the car to make a lane change unless I confirm it -- ever.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Get FSD. The auto lane change is one of my fave features; just tap a button on the yoke and viola. Game changer on the highway driving.
I have unlocked FSD coming in a 2020 Model S that is being delivered to me in the next day or so. Of course I can’t wait. I made full FSD a priority. If you have any tips you’d like to share, I’m all ears. This is my first EV and from all the video reviews I’ve seen, a brand new experience going forwards.

Reactions: nilesborg
It is fun to play with. Besides being ok on the interstate, rural and city roads require constant supervision. It is easier at this point to drive the car and enjoy it. Just use FSD on long distance interstates. Even then, you will get phantom braking every 50 miles or so. Scary and dangerous if the car is stopping quickly for no reason.

Thanks. I haven’t even gotten my hands on my car yet, but am creating a list of “to-dos” so that I will be able to have the best experience with my new Model S. My “use-case” for FSD is like what you described: simply for the long trips on the interstate and through LA traffic as we pass by the airport, LAX. I plan on keeping attention at the wheel while the car moves forward through the trip, but also enjoying a bit of the benefits of whatever FSD offers me while on the road.

Reactions: DerbyDave
One of the lacking features of TACC is the ability to change lanes and keep cruise control (autopilot) on. It’s a bit of a pain to change lanes and reestablish TACC.

Tesla used to lead in TACC but now the German makers, and likely others, have offered an equally capable TACC, with lane change that comes with it. With the Mercedes, I have my TACC on, signal and it’ll change lanes, and also let me override steering (Eg to avoid getting too close to a truck) while still maintaining the speed, going back to TACC once I let go.

The other brands package it as a $3-5k “intelligent drive package”, unfortunately with tesla it’s all ($12k) or nothing.

The advanced beta FSD eliminates confirmation of lane changes. Like I say, on a clear 4 lane road, it changes lanes to the left constantly. The only way to stop it is to turn off FSD, and just use cruise control. I never want the car to make a lane change unless I confirm it -- ever.
That sucks, if Tesla eliminated such in future releases. Navigate on Autopilot is terrible IMHO, so I have my Plaid setup to just do manual confirmations for lane changes (basically turned off NoA).

I have a 2017 S 100D and like others, paid for the FSD package. Like others, when I use NoA I confirm the lane change as the computer makes some poor recommendations. Recently, any attempt to move into the adjacent left lane results in hesitation, swaying back and forth between lanes. Drives behind me might suspect a drunk driver. I posted a service request and I am awaiting Tesla's response.

I have not received the beta version because my safety scores are not good enough. I am now at only 93. I guess the beta version does not solve these problems. I would think that Tesla would solve the highway driving problems and not fool around with local driving. I only use NoA on major highways.

I have an order in for a 2022 S with delivery proposed for June or July. I again paid $10k for the FSD package(stupid me). I would think that Tesla would provide FSD FREE to those who already paid and never received FSD.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Thanks. I haven’t even gotten my hands on my car yet, but am creating a list of “to-dos” so that I will be able to have the best experience with my new Model S. My “use-case” for FSD is like what you described: simply for the long trips on the interstate and through LA traffic as we pass by the airport, LAX. I plan on keeping attention at the wheel while the car moves forward through the trip, but also enjoying a bit of the benefits of whatever FSD offers me while on the road.
Trying to understand how to change lanes with my new X without FSD. In my previous, 2016 Model X I turned on the signal and it moved into the lane and kept in cruise control, wonderful. Now there is a one-click and two-click option, but I can’t find how they work in the manual. However, I suspect that I will end up turning off autopilot, make lane change, and turn back on autopilot when I’m finally back in my desired lane.
Have I got it right or am I missing something?

Trying to understand how to change lanes with my new X without FSD. In my previous, 2016 Model X I turned on the signal and it moved into the lane and kept in cruise control, wonderful. Now there is a one-click and two-click option, but I can’t find how they work in the manual. However, I suspect that I will end up turning off autopilot, make lane change, and turn back on autopilot when I’m finally back in my desired lane.
Unless you have FSD, you can no longer prompt car to automatically change lanes while on standard AP. Previously you could purchase EAP, which I thought was perfect for features that add some value.

Tesla is “bundling” this extremely useful feature with the insanely priced FSD package, presumably to incentivize a few more suckers. So if you want it, you gotta pay up.

I have a 2017 S 100D and like others, paid for the FSD package. Like others, when I use NoA I confirm the lane change as the computer makes some poor recommendations. Recently, any attempt to move into the adjacent left lane results in hesitation, swaying back and forth between lanes. Drives behind me might suspect a drunk driver. I posted a service request and I am awaiting Tesla's response.

I have not received the beta version because my safety scores are not good enough. I am now at only 93. I guess the beta version does not solve these problems. I would think that Tesla would solve the highway driving problems and not fool around with local driving. I only use NoA on major highways.

I have an order in for a 2022 S with delivery proposed for June or July. I again paid $10k for the FSD package(stupid me). I would think that Tesla would provide FSD FREE to those who already paid and never received FSD.
When you post a "service request" is it via the phone app? What's the best way to let Tesla know how you feel about lane changing with Autopilot?

You are correct. However, you won't have to turn off autopilot; using the turn signal will do that for you. Then, once you have manually changed lanes turn the autopilot back on.

Ah, just tried it and that was helpful. Now if only it could stay in cruise control there wouldn't be a need to press accelerator to maintain same speed.
As I use the lane change indicator I (almost) simultaneously engage TACC until I am back in the lane I want to maintain speed. That may be the passing lane and back into autopilot . Either way it's second nature to me now.