Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure Safety Features Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll chime in on this thread as well. Received my car in December 2018 and Lane Departure Warning (where it jiggles the wheel) worked quite well for several months. I was stuck on 2019.4.15 for quite some time (no wifi nearby), and when I finally upgraded in July to 2019.20 and then 2019.24, I received the Assist portion as well (from reading the manual, designed to 'nudge' you back into your lane if it senses you leaving it). Concurrent with that upgrade, I lost the actual function of LDW, and Assist didn't work either - the car still shows all the other cars and lane markings, it just doesn't care that I've crossed a line into another lane. This carried on for about a month, and I hadn't bothered to do anything about it yet, thinking it would be resolved in the next update.

Then, a few days ago, all of a sudden Assist worked. And worked well! It was giving me all sorts of messages and nudges (almost to the point of being annoying... passing someone, I guess my usual move is to start moving over and flick the signal indicator as I go... well this wasn't soon enough for LDA, and it kept nudging me back into my lane and giving me a warning). This worked for exactly one day, for an 850 km road trip.

This happened to coincide with a day when my car didn't recognize my USB key at all and wasn't running the dash cam - I noticed the icon had disappeared but didn't really think anything of it, and didn't bother to unplug it and replug it in.

Next day, my dashcam is back (though flakey, as it had been ever since 'upgrade' from 2019.4.15), and back to Assist not working, nor the Warning system. I received the 2019.28.4 update Tuesday morning, and LDW/LDA is still not working.

I finally got annoyed enough to call tech support. They put me through a series of progressive resets, including having me power off the car while they did something remotely. None of this worked. He finally asked if I use Sentry mode; I don't and said so, but I did indicate my USB flash drive had been acting funny (it will record for a while, then give me an error that my stick is too slow... reformating it doesn't help, and it worked fine before upgrading from 2019.4.15). He thought it likely that was the error (the USB is causing interference in this firmware), and told me to unplug the stick, and by morning my LDW/LDA should work again.

Well it still wasn't working this morning, so I got on the phone with tech again. He tried another couple resets, then got some advanced guy to consult with. After a bit, they decided they couldn't detect anything wrong with my car and can't figure out why it isn't working. They told me to submit 'bug reports' (for those who don't know, and I didn't, if you start a voice command, and say 'bug report' or 'report bug', it will report a slice of data from your drive to Tesla for analysis). So I started driving over all sorts of lane lines intentionally and saying 'bug report'!! I did this several times to get the point across :) The guy thought that they might learn something from this, and either resolve it remotely, or get me to schedule a service appointment (which is a huge pain, nearest one a full day drive away).

^ This, there is definitely a torque sense component to the detection, and also there is a speed dependence. If you're traveling at 45mph and you meaningfully cross a lane line, it often won't do anything.

On the freeway, on the other hand, it will sometimes trigger even if you're torquing (assuming you are not signaling of course) - often the torque would be pretty gentle on the freeway lane change though.

Not to say yours works fine - it may well be broken - LDA (Assist) just is not intended to trigger every time you cross a lane line, even if you are not signaling. It's supposed to detect only unintentional departures from the lane.

I think LDA (Warn) may actually be more sensitive in some ways, but I'm not sure - haven't used it in a while. It's a tough thing to test. If I try to test it, it typically does not trigger unless I mostly let go of the steering wheel.

Hmmm...this seems like a repeat of my prior post above...I forgot about that.

Reactions: talononeguy
Mine is the difference between not working period (I mean a whole month over 4,000 km and not trigger it once?!), and working dozens of times in a day (the one day it did work).

I would hope it isn't dependent on my hands being off the wheel... because if I'm dozing off on my way home from work, I'm likely to slowly drift out of the lane with my hands on the wheel, or turn the wheel a bit (ie apply torque), and I sure as heck want it to intervene in those situations!