Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lane departure warning will vibrate the steering wheel slightly when you drift out of lane but does not actively try to correct your path. Newer cars with the lane keep assist (released to Model S with the 2019.32.x software) will alert you with a tone and guide you back into the lane. It works pretty well based on previous cars I've had with the same feature.

It only engages at certain speeds too. 40+ MPH if I recall correctly.

I have tried it at slow speeds and fast and I don’t get a vibration or tone.

I also have the correction option selected and neither do anything.

These selections are under autopilot that’s why I was wondering if it was an auto pilot only thing.

I have had many cars with this option so I know how it should work.

I have tried it at slow speeds and fast and I don’t get a vibration or tone.

I also have the correction option selected and neither do anything.

These selections are under autopilot that’s why I was wondering if it was an auto pilot only thing.

I have had many cars with this option so I know how it should work.

It is only available on an AP equipped car because it uses the camera to detect the lane lines.

The vibration is more like a soft hum on the steering wheel for the earlier models. It feels like you are driving over those road edge grooves that are cut into the side of some freeways to warn drivers.

Edit: it kinda feels like this....but in a single tone. :)

It is only available on an AP equipped car because it uses the camera to detect the lane lines.

The vibration is more like a soft hum on the steering wheel for the earlier models. It feels like you are driving over those road edge grooves that are cut into the side of some freeways to warn drivers.

Edit: it kinda feels like this....but in a single tone. :)

I have autopilot and my car is a late 2017 build. It must be too soft to notice or it’s not working.

I recently updated to V9.0 (2019.32.2.2) in my 2019 MS and now have lane departure assist. It works about 50-60% of the time. For some reason it seems to work better when drifting to the right rather drifting to the left. Doesn’t seem to matter if the lane lines are solid or dashed. I’m sure I look like a drunk driver as I’m drifting back and forth testing it out. As of now I certainly would not rely on this feature to keep me in the lane but hopefully it will get better with further updates.

I’ve never been impressed with lane departure warning. (Have thad it since purchasing the car Oct 2019). The vibration of the steering wheel is very subtle, much Less than if just hitting the lane bump reflectors (or whatever they’re called).

I have autopilot and my car is a late 2017 build. It must be too soft to notice or it’s not working

how late 2017? Post August? Autopilot hardware matters here, and it changed in August 2017.

the “warning” feature on earlier cars is very subtle. Feels like an out of balance wheel.

the “assist” feature, where it will steer your back into the lane, is currently only available for autopilot hardware 2.5+ S/X, manufactured after August 2017.

these are supposed to be “safety” features, ie available to anyone regardless of autopilot or FSD package purchase.